would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

upgrade ???

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
kkkev11
Wizz Kid

honest views on if i should upgrade to fiber from normal broadband is it any good ??? i get 14mb at moment ?

wizard
Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

Generally yes, I went from 4 meg to 50, but it ultimately depends on the improvements for your own line.

Highlighted
martswain
Philosopher

Ask yourself, is my current speed limiting anything I am currently doing online ?

Do you plan to do anything new ?

If it's all working as you need, I would not bother upgrading UNLESS you need to upload big files, normal broadband is limited to 1 Mbps whereas fibre can can be much faster.

What are the estimates for your line on fibre ?

Martin
Highlighted
kkkev11
Wizz Kid
about 35mbps thanks for your reply
wizard
Highlighted
kkkev11
Wizz Kid
thanks nice to know
wizard
Highlighted
kkkev11
Wizz Kid

hi ferguson what package are you on to get that speed if you dont mind saying thanks

wizard
Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

I am on Faster Fibre with the Speed Boost, syncs at 55 down 17 up, throughput around 50/16.

It really is about how you use your broadband as well as all out figures. We are a media-hungry family, with lots of streamed media on the go on multiple devices as well as almost constant gaming from teenagers, our service rarely skips a beat.

Highlighted
kkkev11
Wizz Kid
thanks for reply dont think i would need boost unless its a freebie thanks
wizard
Highlighted
zebidee88
Enlightened One

Get them to tell you what speed to expect. I am on what is advertised as an average of 38mb but get 20mb. There is a cabinet 23 paces from my front door but the one my phone line is connected to is a quarter of a mile away which is a lot of copper between me and the cabinet.  Unless they run a new cable all the providers use the same Openreach cables, and will give the same speed unless you pay extra for speed "boosts".

Highlighted
kkkev11
Wizz Kid
mines about 70 yards away exchange 500 yards thanks for reply
wizard