cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

what Annex with VDSL2 range A clean or range B impacted.

ANSWERED
1 REPLY
Highlighted
prescol
Enlightened One

Does it make any difference what Annex you use? A or B?

Been onto BT broadband checker today ( to see if I am one of lucky ones to have G fast) as I'm noticing small extensions to the green cabinets are springing up all over town)

on the checker its separated into VDSL2 range A clean and range B impacted. Is that anything to do with Annex? Sorry if that sounds a bit daft.

prescol

I'm no expert, i'm just a guy!
Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi @prescol

The Annex refers to whether the broadband line can provide an asymetric service - unequal upstream and downstream speeds or a symmetrical equal upstream and downstream service.  For ADSL in the UK only Annex A is provided with a suffix of Annex M for increased upstream bandwidth.  

For Openreach FTTC in the UK it's theoretically Annex B even though the line is 'legacy configured' with a tone set for an asymetric service Annex A.  Just set the router to Auto. For a router that complies with the Openreach specifications for connection it shouldn't make any difference whether it says Annex A or B for your FTTC service.  Routers are supplied for the pan-European market so include these different Annexes for compatibility across Europe.

Range A is the speed range for a near perfect line with minimal impairments from noise and crosstalk, whereas Range B is the Openreach speed range estimate of what you might expect if there is crosstalk, high background noise or imperfect wiring.

g.Fast is being rolled out by Openreach but not all locations where you see the cabinet side-pods are being trialled by TalkTalk even though the Openreach publicity says TalkTalk are a triallist. Here's the information you need for g.fast from TalkTalk. It all seems to be quite low-key at present.

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer * Try TalkTalk CallSafe to stop scam calls