FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15% speed reduction with new router

philipm
Whizz Kid
Message 147 of 147

I finally got around to installing the replacement router as the old one was having to be rebooted regularly. I have been sent an HG633 rather than the HG635 and it is much slower. A full 15% slower and the wifi signal is not as good. Please can I have a replacement 635?

0 Likes
146 REPLIES 146

Message 81 of 147

Hi philipm,

Regarding the wifi hub for £30, this isn't something that we can arrange but you could try chatting with our loyalty team, they may be able to help

Chris

0 Likes

Message 82 of 147

That would be great. On a slightly sperate note; am I able to get the new Talk Talk WiFi hub for £30 as an existing customer? Currently, WiFi in the garden is a bit hit and miss and, upstairs, I find it best to use a repeater.

0 Likes

Message 83 of 147

Hi philipm,

Thanks for the update. It's possible that DLM will continue to increase the sync speed over the next couple of days now that the fault has been resolved.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 84 of 147

I was getting a download speed of about 25 when I left home this morning. Upload and ping were as they used to be but the download speed is still about 13 mb less than it used to be.

I'll check again when I get home tonight and update you.

0 Likes

Message 85 of 147

Hi philipm,

I've re-run the line test which is now clear and the sync speed has increased since we last checked. Just to confirm, what speeds are you receiving at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 86 of 147

Turns out that they sent a broadband guy, not a voice guy. Like the others he could find no fault in the home then went off to do something in the cabinet. Evidently replacing cables which, I'm sure was exactly what the first guy did!

I'll monitor but initial results on speed are that I am still a full 25% slower than I used to be.

What are your thoughts on third party routers? I'm thinking of the TP-Link AC1600.

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 87 of 147

Hi philipm,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares over the next 48hrs.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 88 of 147

Openreach sent a broadband guy, rather than a voice guy. He couldnt find any issues in the house but did a bit of stuff in the street cabinet so we'll see. I'll monitor and let you know.

0 Likes

Message 89 of 147

OK, thanks for the update, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 90 of 147

Thanks, Chris.

Had a call from one of your tech guys. He's run a shed load of tests and determind there is a fault on the copper line between the street cabinet and the house. Sending a voice engineer, rather than a broadband engineer to establish cause and hopefully fix. That will be on Monday.

We're getting there.....

0 Likes

Message 91 of 147

Hi philipm

The connection drop in the early hours of this morning was DLM moving you to a faster profile, sync speed has increased from 27.3Mbps to 32.3Mbps. We'll need to give it a few days to see if DLM continues to improve your connection speed following the engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 92 of 147

Morning.

Please see the attached files, taken just after 6 this morning. Note the up time. It clearly dropped out in the middle of the night. That's pretty much a daily thing. Also note that the speeds are monumentally less than they were a couple of months ago. When I first logged this issue, talktalk's own line checker in "my account" stated that it could deliver a downstream line rate of about 43K and that was, indeed, what I used to get, so why the massive drop? The contention would have had to have shot up, exponentially, to account for it and that still wouldn't explain why it falls over every day. Would you agree?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 93 of 147

Hi philipm,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test which is now clear and the connection looks stable at the moment. I can also see that DLM has increased the sync speed since your last post so it looks like DLM is currently optimising the connection at the moment.

Just to confirm, what speeds are you currently receiving?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 94 of 147

Apologies. The router doesn't seem to quote attenuation rates. Its the line speed that keeps varying wildly. Just now it's this:

Upstream 6000, Downstream 27399.

Just prior to my first having these problems, those figures would have been more like 7200 and 43000 and they were constantly like that ever since I had the fibre broadband installed.

Something clearly is amiss. Your own website speedchecker says " Great news. You can get speeds up to 37Mb". Ha! If only.

0 Likes

Message 95 of 147

Ok. Openreach engineer did nothing and presumably couldn't find a fault this end. Don't know if he did anything else but he probably didn't want to spend much time outside as it was pouring down. When I log into my account it asks me to chat to someone as they want to do more tests but when I do chat I am just told that I will be contacted by the outbound (!) team, tomorrow.

This is the last thing I said to the support agent so I'll repeat it to you - "Ok. This has been ongoing a while now. I have had two openreach engineers round on separate dates and nothing is changing. The connection disconnects regularly, download speeds are a full 10 meg less than they used to be, upload speeds drop to near nothing sometimes, ping rates are twice what they used to be, because the line attenuation rates are all over the place. I need to know that this will be resolved without further delay".

You may sense that I am becoming a tad frustrated.

0 Likes

Message 96 of 147
0 Likes

Message 97 of 147

Thanks. Will do.

0 Likes

Message 98 of 147

Hi philipm,

I've received confirmation that the engineer is booked for Wednesday 12th June PM (13:00-18:00) - please let us know how you get on 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 99 of 147

OK thanks, I've passed on your availability to our network team, we'll let you know when we receive confirmation of the day booked

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 100 of 147

There will be someone in any afternoon this week.

Regards

0 Likes