FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15% speed reduction with new router

philipm
Whizz Kid
Message 147 of 147

I finally got around to installing the replacement router as the old one was having to be rebooted regularly. I have been sent an HG633 rather than the HG635 and it is much slower. A full 15% slower and the wifi signal is not as good. Please can I have a replacement 635?

0 Likes
146 REPLIES 146

Message 121 of 147

Sorry. Looks like the post before this didn't actually make it. I had the D-Link router connected overnight but the speeds were terrible, ping was over 30 seconds and by this morning it was down to less than 20meg download. Also, it had clearly fallen over in the night. It can't be the router that is causing these issues and I am still connected to the test socket.

0 Likes

Message 122 of 147

Update: I've put the 635 router back as the router clearly isn't the problem. The 635 gives me the best speeds but we are still looking at about 28 down and ping is still 31s. Whatever is going on, I would say that it's getting worse.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 123 of 147
0 Likes

Message 124 of 147

Hi.

Yes; it fell over about four times just on Sunday, but still connected to test socket.

I'll connect one of the new routers when I get home this evening, then drop you a line. Probably be about half four.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 125 of 147

Hi philipm,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've re-run the line test which is now clear, however I can still see re-connections on the line. Is the connection still unstable if you connect the new replacement router, microfilter and new cables at the test socket? As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 126 of 147

Now Sunday morning. Router showing up time of around nine hours so clearly crashed late Saturday. Whilst browsing it went down again. Time around 08:45. As I was composing this, it fell over again!!! Time around 08:54. Just to confirm, I am still connected to the test socket with the original 635 router.

0 Likes

Message 127 of 147

Ok. Phone and router (original 635) now plugged into test socket. Will leave it like that and monitor.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 128 of 147

Hi philipm,

Yes, if possible please can you connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket to see if the connection is still unstable. We can also re-run the line test again to see how it compares.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 129 of 147

No. It isn't connected to the test socket. Do you need me to do that again? Won't it mean that my landline phone won't work or can I connect the phone to the filter as well?

0 Likes

Message 130 of 147

Hi philipm,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is detecting a potential fault towards the property. Just to confirm, is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment? As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 131 of 147

This morning at 06:10, the router quoted its "up" time as 3hrs 31mins, so it obviously fell over in the night. Download speed 33.3,  upload 6.6

0 Likes

Message 132 of 147

Well; I've come home to find that the router thinks its been up for just over nine hours which means it's disconnected itself early morning. Download speed standing at 32 and upload at 6.75.

0 Likes

Message 133 of 147

It was still alive this morning, even the line up, but still the 15% loss in download speeds. I'll check again when I get home this evening and update.

0 Likes

Message 134 of 147

Hi philipm,

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 135 of 147

OK. Connected to the test socket. Same speeds as before . 33 down and 6 up, roughly speaking. That's with the original 635 router. Course; I can't test it for longer because it stops the phone working, which means I don't know whether it will cut out and the down speed drop through the floor like it has done. I'll update this in the morning after it's been running for twelve hours. Essentially, though; I would suggest that it rules out any issues with my internal things.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 136 of 147
0 Likes

Message 137 of 147

Sorry. Just read the page on master sockets. Will test that this evening and let you know.

Cheers

0 Likes

Message 138 of 147

Just the one, Chris. As I said, our internal connections haven't changed for years. The openreach box is about a metre away from the router. There are a couple of LAN connections so that all our (3) PC's are hardwired. As is the TV etc..

0 Likes

Message 139 of 147

Hi philipm,

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 140 of 147

Just restarted on its own half way through a BBC iplayer watch, so I have now reconnected the original HG635 as the router is clearly not the issue. 

So; we have multiple disconnections (random) and a massive drop in line speed both up and down. Nothing has changed internally so I can only conclude that there is a problem at the street cabinet.

Over to you, but I'd really like it sorted, please.

Thanks

0 Likes