FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

150Mbps ethernet - 35Mbps wifi?

Cypher
Conversation Starter
Message 22 of 22

My 150Mbps fibre service was enabled today. I'm getting a great speed via ethernet but my wifi speed remains roughly the same as it was before. Any idea why this is and when can I expect it to improve?

21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22
0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 22

Try another browser as the CHAT NOW/BUSY button is missing.

When working correctly it appears under the 3 lines of text starting "Still looking for some help?"

As @KeithFrench says you also need to check for interference which can slow things down.

Have you tried a speed test with just ONE device connected ?

The LINK RATE between the router and device is the speed at which they agree to handle traffic, it varies with signal strength and the type of module in the device, if your MOTO is connected at 72 then the maximum speed you are likely to see on a speed test is around 90% of that, 65 or thereabouts.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Message 3 of 22

@Cypher ,

As previously advised, it will be pop-up/ad blocking or similar in your browser stopping the chat button from being displayed.

However, I think @KeithFrench can probably help you more with your WiFi issues than the chat support will be able to.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 22

Hi @Cypher 

If you would like to answer the questions in my post, I can help you with this a lot.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Cypher
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 22

I am using a Moto G phone, Dell laptop, and two different games consoles -  an Xbox Series S and a PS4. All of them show similar speeds, except the Xbox displays a higher speed of around 65 Mbps for some reason. I'm not sure if that one is correct in reality. I have no idea what kind of adapter they use and don't know how I would find out. I don't know what link rate is either, I will have to check that out.

Edit: Ok, my Moto G says transmit link speed is 72Mbps. I have no idea what that means.

0 Likes

Cypher
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 22

That's weird. This is what the same page looks like for me:

chat.png

And 45Mbps is not satisfactory if my line speed is 150Mbps. Part of my intended use is for playing on games consoles which often require large downloads. I took this service on the understanding I would have much better wifi speeds.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 22

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 8 of 22

@Cypher  exactly what device(s) are you connecting via WiFi and what kind of WiFi adapter do those devices have, B/G/N, AC or WiFi 6 etc ?

Which band are you connecting to and what is the LINK RATE between the device and the router, you will have to go into the WiFi settings page on your devices.

Live Chat is available from this page and is working fine at 1345

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529#U2230529

If you cannot see the CHAT NOW or CHAT BUSY buttons it is likely your browser is blocking them from showing, turn off pop-up, ad and banner blockers.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Message 9 of 22

Click the "Chat Now" button:

Chat button.jpg

If you're not seeing that button make sure you have pop-up/ad blocking and similar disabled in your browser or try a different browser.

Are you sure it's nothing on the wireless devices you are using limiting the speed?

In any case 45Mbps should be fast enough for anything you want to do on the internet.

0 Likes

Cypher
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 22

It is none of those things in this case. The wifi speed is 45Mbps literally right next to the router and it only gets worse the further away you go, as you'd expect. I moved the wifi channel to a clearer one and gained a small boost but Talktalk decided to move it back again for some reason. I should be gaining speeds close to the ethernet speed, but a difference of 100Mbps suggests something is very wrong.

Thanks for the link. It says their live chat is open today but I can't actually see where the chat is anywhere.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Staff on here generally don't work weekends and with it being the New Year holiday period will probably not be back online until Tuesday or Wednesday. I believe phone support is also closed 1st and 2nd January. If you want a faster response you can try contacting TalkTalk via live chat here: Our live chat team - TalkTalk Help & Support (that page also includes the current phone and chat support opening hours)

Bear in mind that if your problem is only with the WiFi signal, then the most common things affecting that will be the location of the router, the construction of your home, interference and congestion from other WiFi routers and other equipment in the area. There is very little any ISP can do about that.

0 Likes

Cypher
Conversation Starter
Message 12 of 22

Day 2 and my wifi speed is still unacceptable. Can I expect help from Talktalk or should I cancel my agreement while the window is still open? Or should I be calling them instead of posting here?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

As I stated earlier, the Openreach engineer told me that after my line upgrade Talktalk may send a patch to my router that increases the wifi speed, was that incorrect?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Hi Cypher

Ok, I can send another router so we can rule this out, would you like me to arrange this?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Ok, so after a 30 minute power down my ethernet speed has dropped to 135Mbps and my wifi speed hasn't changed.

Also I changed my wifi channel last night and today it's changed back, can you please disable the function that makes that happen, thank you.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Hi Cypher

If you power down for a full 30 minutes then this will just start a new session and will often increase the throughput speed.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

No, I was told to keep my router online because it's a new connection and switching off and on could cause issues with the line. The ethernet speed is fine, it's the wifi I'm writing about.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 22

Hi Cypher

Sorry for the delay.

Have you recently powered down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 19 of 22

@Cypher, the whole point of the profile area is that it's not visible to the public.

You cannot see other customers' personal information details. Nor can they see yours.

That area is only visible to community forum support staff, employed professionally, and yourself. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Cypher
Conversation Starter
Message 20 of 22

Hi, thanks for responding. Who will be able to see my profile information? I don't want to put anything that's publicly visible.

I have the Sagemcom router.  I switched my band to something less congested but it's not made much difference. I'm getting 45Mbps instead of 150. The Openreach engineer who installed my fibre upgrade today said that Talktalk push out a patch to improve the wifi speed, is that right? He said if it's not improved by tomorrow to call Talktalk.

0 Likes