FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

150mb available but not 250mb Gfast

Luke5
Whizz Kid
Message 21 of 21

Hi folks.

Just a quick one really. (profile is updated)

Is there any particular reason why Talktalk withhold certain packages?

I've been a Talktalk member for several years now and upgraded to a 150MB line over a year ago.

Each time I click on the 'upgrade' button in my account, it starts loading the page and then says I can't it get unfortunately. (https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/customise/set-package/gfast250

Luke5_0-1621362446702.png

If I compare this with BT for example which would be the same openreach kit - they do offer Gfast speeds of up to 250-300mb.

Faster gfast speeds are available but not currently with talktalk - is this just an error and can I upgrade? 😉

Thanks.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hello,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if the speed does drop again.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Luke5
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 21

Hi folks.

Looks like it has gradually increased which is great to see.

It did sort-of stall around 220-225mb for a while so I rebooted the router and it made no difference.

I then realised there was a Cat5 cable going from the BT modem to the router... which i found extremely surprising that they would even provide those still but hey ho 😉

I swapped it for a Cat6 ethernet cable and it immediately jumped up to 262mb! (only a few MB off what the router was syncing at the time)

Strangely as i tried this morning it went back to around 220mb.. so i turned off the modem and router for 5+mins and it seemed to jump back up to 260+ again, hopefully it sticks around this now.. or even gradually increases.

Either way, very happy with the performance now after the initial moan 😄 

Luke5_0-1624528128551.png

Luke5_1-1624528143766.png

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi

OK, let us know here if anything changes with the performance.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Maybe that conversation with Loyalty isn't necessary.

I just had a few DNS issues on my devices so I decided to turn off the router and modem for around 10 minutes and make a sandwich.

I've come back and this is the first time the speed has been significantly better... maybe someone did some tweaking behind the scenes??

I will keep monitoring. 🙂

Luke5_0-1623328512399.png

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Hi,

Just a few now if you have a chance so we can check these from our side. It may be worth speaking directly to our Loyalty Team as they will be able to advise you further on this.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

I can appreciate that - how many are required and over what period however?

My main concern is that today is the last day I can change my mind without being penalised, unless there's reassurance that can be offered here in terms of being able to recontract with no penalties if the speed doesn't improve etc.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hi Luke

This will just allow us to see the speed tests recorded on the TT speed tester on our side.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

I have ran the line check tool multiple times over the last week or so but not the actual speed test from talktalk

I can see there's limited results on the official talktalk tool but isn't this pretty much the same as the speed test results I've shown above? 😞

Luke5_0-1623313498195.png

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi Luke,

Ok, would you mind running a few wired speed tests using the TalkTalk Speed Tester please.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi.

Not really. As I went through the upgrade options it just went through. didn't get an email to confirm or anything.

To complicate matters I paid for the year in full also on the saver rate.

No stability issues at all.

I had some over a year ago and I posted here also - we managed to get that resolved by openreach putting me in an isolated area in the cabinet away from everyone else ☺️

But yes. If it was just that little bit faster then paying double would be worth it..

I'm a little surprised due to my proximity to the exchange but I'm aware there's other factors.

I'm not sure if there's a fault or if it's still being capped at this stage.. or that's just how the line is for now. If it's the latter then I need to downgrade and pick a better re contract offer.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hello,

Were you provided with a predicted speed range for the line? How has the overall performance of the connection been?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Luke5_0-1623269343532.png

Unfortunately there hasn't been a massive jump in performance as expected.

My 20 day cool down period expires tomorrow at midnight, so I'm a bit stuck now in terms of what to do.

If its technically triaged for days/weeks then is it still acceptable to recontract and downgrade at a similar price to what I was paying before?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 21

Hello,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how your speeds compare over the next week.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

No mention of a stabilisation period.
It seems like something is in the mix though - it has been very slowly increasing over the last week (I ordered it just over a week ago on 20.05.21)

I can only assume it will gradually get there 😉

I haven't rebooted the router / bt modem for over a week also.

xozVVHh

WobIOQ8

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21
Was there any mention of a Stablisation period as such with the Fibre 35 / 65 packages? Maybe it will take a few days for your line to reach top speed - haven't had much experience with this product.

Does Service centre give any idea of a speed estimate?
Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Yes.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21
Have you now upgraded then?
Steve -
0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi there.

I guess you did some magic or something. I've looked at the upgrade page randomly over the last few months and its always been the same error... except after your response - it now seems to let me upgrade and I have done so.

It has introduced another query however.

I did reboot my router & BT modem.

It seems I've only really benefited from a jump from 150mb to 170mb.
I'm not too far away from the exchange at my location and I would've thought it might be a tad higher than this, i.e anywhere between 250-300mb.

Is there anything else Talktalk need to do on there side at this point or is this effectively all I can achieve?
I mean, if that's the case, I will just revert back to 150mb instead of paying double the cost for a marginal improvement. The upload has increased to the expected range.

I did click 'check your line' etc under My account and it seemed to suggest there was a problem... it then said it couldn't check it.

Luke5_0-1621969983568.png

Luke5_1-1621970058015.png

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 21

Hi @Luke5

Sometimes the online ordering system doesn't function correctly. I have checked and it does looks like fibre 250 is available, So I would suggest calling our Customer Loyalty Team during Business hours (Monday to Saturday 10:00am to 18:00pm) on 03451720046.  

They can help. 

0 Likes

Ste_Nix14
Community Star
Message 20 of 21
Rest assured a OCE will pick this up during office hours.
Steve -
0 Likes