FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5mbps d/l, 0.8mbps u/l fibre broadband connection

tadme
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

I've been consistently getting glacially slow fibre speeds the last few weeks (probably longer, but I've just been putting up with it).

To give it the best chance I could, I connected directly to the router with ethernet cable, with the router plugged into the test socket, and made sure noone else was using the internet at the time:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 800
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 2495
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 9516
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 38540

which is appalling! It took me 10 hours over multiple days to download some software (10GB) for work the other day, and a colleage managed to do it in ~10 mins (albeit on a 200mbps connection). Still, an hour would have been nice! It is also producing a noticeable lag on MSTeams calls which is also less than ideal for work. 

I've tried switching the router off (overnight) and back on again, with no luck

Also, how on earth do you contact customer services. I've spent ages going round in a loop on the website trying to find a customer services phone number (or at least a live chat option) with no luck.

Help!

Thanks in advance

Tim

Other potentially useful data:

Device Type: DG8041W
Description: EchoLife DG8041W Home Gateway
Hardware Version: I.1.01
Software Version: v1.05t

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 8

Hi tadme,

Thanks for the update. The below speed test results look ok based upon the sync speed as the throughput speeds are usually around 80% of the sync speed. Is everything ok with the overall performance of your connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Rebooted the router last night and now up to 37 / 8.7 mbps. 

Many thanks for your help.

Is that the best I can expect on upload speeds?

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 8

Hi tadme,

Thanks for the additional information. Can I just confirm, did you try the 30 minute router power down after you received the update on Friday as this will reset the current session? If not then would it be possible to try this again please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi Michelle,

If you read my original post, all the answers to your questions are already in there.

I got a text saying an engineer had been out on Friday.

I did a further speed test Friday evening and got the same download speed as before (~2.5mbps) but the upload speed had increased 10× to ~8mbps.

The text said to wait 2 days for the connection to stabilise, which I have done. I've run another speed test and it hasn't changed since Friday.

I'm now trying to log back into "my account" to jump through the "Service Status" hoops but apparenlty "my account" is offline today.

So, two questions:
1) Can you arrange for an openreach engineer to come back out to finish the fix they started on Friday?

2) I know that u/l speeds are usually slower than d/l, if my estimated line speed should be ~37mbps, is the new upload speed of 8mbps about right, or should that also be higher?

Cheers

Tim

† Wireless this time, since I'd proved earlier that the speeds were pretty much the same wireless or wired.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 8

Hi tadme,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Are you running the speed tests wired or wireless? Have you also tried switching off the router for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speeds again?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the quick reply. Service centre seemed to imply that everything was OK, but the "Live connection Test" tool seemed to do the job. It said: 

We're working on your fault We’ve run a test and found a problem between the exchange and your home which needs an Openreach Engineer to fix. We have booked the engineer who will be sent to fix the fault. You don't need to be at home and we will update you once they have completed the job. We are working as fast as we can to fix the problem. It should be resolved in 2-3 working days.

Hopefully will be sorted soon.
Thanks agin!

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @tadme,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a day or two.

You may get faster support from the live chat or by phoning up during opening hours.