FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Mesh WiFi - Do I need to change TalkTalk Router config?

biscuits99
Participant
Message 7 of 7

I've been looking to get a TP-Link Deco M5 to provide better WiFi coverage than I have at the moment. A WiFi extender isnt really doing the job, hence the look into mesh wifi.

The instructions say to connect the first M5 using ethernet to the TalkTalk router, then place the second M5 unit some distance away.

What I'm wondering about is would it be expected to change any router config at all, i.e. would "bridge" mode be advised - if thats even possible. Or should I simply disable the router WiFi and I'd be fine? Would the router be managing DHCP still, or hand that off the M5?

Any suggestions, or experience with mesh wifi welcome

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

bigkenny
Enlightened One
Message 1 of 7

I changed my setup some months ago. Got rid of the TT router and got myself a new router/modem then splashed out on 2 more routers all linked in AP mode. The extra options, wifi coverage I get now is great. (extra routers linked via cat5e and cat6 cables) From LAN off Gateway modem/router to WAN on both extra routers. I can use all options off Gateway router like parental control throughout system. For me its been good

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 7

That is difficult to say as I don't have that mesh.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

biscuits99
Participant
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking to keep the TT router in use really, mainly just to reduce hassle.

Looking at the features lost by enabling AP mode I dont think I'm missing out on much:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2399/

I use the TT router at the moment to reserve some IPs and a couple of port forwarding rules, but nothing overly complicated, its just nice to be able to manage it all in a web browser rather than an app (i.e. which I would have to do for the mesh devices).

Am I missing out on anything key by wanting to use AP mode?

It seems a lot more straight forward just to use an existing router and use mesh for the better wifi coverage.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 7

There is another way, keeping the TT router.

Disable the WiFi in the router and connect the mesh/router from its WAN port to a spare LAN port on the TT router. Then leave the MESH operating normally, not in AP or bridge mode. The only problem here is that you may have to change the IP address of the TT router if it clashes with the IP network used by the Mesh. If you need to do port forwarding, you are now in a double NAT environment, which is more complex. However, in reality, it is quite easy, I am often doing this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 5 of 7

@biscuits99  as TT routers cannot operate in modem-only mode, you are correct, AP mode is the way to go unless you replace the TT router with a standalone modem.

0 Likes

biscuits99
Participant
Message 6 of 7

Ah - maybe I just need to enable AP mode on the mesh units, then I can leave all the config in the router.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1842/

0 Likes