FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional SSIDs appearing on WiFi Network

IDHFMH
Team Player
Message 12 of 12

I am trying to help an elderly friend of mine who has just moved to a new apartment.  He has taken his existing TalkTalk wifi hub with him and it is connected correctly.  However, there are two additional SSIDs which are appearing:  one with the suffix _5GEXT and the other with _2GEXT.   He does not have any wifi extenders and the router is set up with the same SSID name for both wifi channels (i.e. without the suffix).   If he attempts to connect to either of the _nEXT SSIDs it connects but there is no internet access; if he connects to the 'base' SSID everything is working correctly.

Can anyone explain what is causing this?  Is it possible that the neighbours in the apartment above him have extenders and they are repeating his SSID name?

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi IDHFMH

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Late to the party as usual but as many including @IDHFMH seem to have realised _EXT is an extender. If your friend defo has none then it is possible the neighbours do and they have somehow jumped onto the network. Also some devices can act as a repeater so switching things on and off would be the way to go.

Rgeardless of what it is/ was I would follow @Divsec advise.

@Divsec wrote:

Hi @IDHFMH I'd still  change my ssid, password, and router password. 

It probably isn't necessary but worthit as a precaution.

Watching with interst to see what it was.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi @IDHFMH agree with @martswain if you're able to share the solution

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 4 of 12

@IDHFMH please let us know how it was solved, it's an interesting topic.

IDHFMH
Team Player
Message 5 of 12

All sorted now - thank you all for your help

Message 6 of 12

Hello,

Please let us know how you get on and if you need any assistance.

Thanks

Message 7 of 12

I will check what happens to the _EXT SSIDs when I power off the router next time I pay him a visit.   

My fiend only has a Chromebook and although it says it is connected another notification says you may need to sign in...  when you open a browser window there are no such prompts.

The router is a Sagemcom FAST 5364-3

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 8 of 12

Hi @IDHFMH I'd still  change my ssid, password, and router password. 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 9 of 12

What happens to the mystery SSIDs when you turn off the router ?

When you connect to them are they "open" or do they require a password ?

What model router is it ?

0 Likes

IDHFMH
Team Player
Message 10 of 12

@Divsec Thank you for your response. Just be clear, my friend's neighbour is also on TalkTalk but with a different SSID - see attached

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi @IDHFMH Kind of you to help your chum. Try changing the said and see if the  ext follows the change. View or Change your Wi-Fi name and password . If it does change the password!

Sorry that might  mean a lot of extra but at least the leech will be denied. Also change the router password.

0 Likes