FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Update Me?

tmj9815
Team Player
Message 20 of 20

Hi, 

My fibre stop/started five times today. It also happened last week, Openreach was at the top of the street so I assumed they were fiddling with the cabling. So today it dropped five times, no Openreach out on my street, each time it came back on itself, but then I found the mbps has dropped considerably and below the guaranteed speed. I contacted TalkTalk via the chat facility, the staff member checked the line, said yes, my line was running slow and below what TalkTalk said they'd provide. We then we went through the checklist (type of mastersocket, has anything changed, do a speedcheck with a wired device, etc).  The speed was still slow. He wanted to do more tests and so asked me to use a 3g/4g enabled device in case my fibre went down. I opened chat on my mobile, and now I don't know where I am with my problem. The next person couldn't resolve it before I had to leave the house. I have checked my case online on my TalkTalk, there is a case open, I click on it, and it states no case...

To summarise, my fibre was running at around 37mbps until this morning, it cut out on five different occasions, after the fifth the speed has dropped to around 20mbps and I don't know what else I can do as the case is open but not open.  

Thanks

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi,

Yes, you could try connecting back the main socket with the faceplate re-connected again, however just to advise, if the speed does drop again or the connection does become unstable then this would indicate a possible issue with the faceplate or any internal wiring connected to the line. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Thank you Michelle. Do I disconnect and plug back in the master socket, or leave the hub plugged into the test socket?  Should I chance it?!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. I also tried to run a few tests this morning but they wouldn't complete. I'm not sure but it's possible that the tests may have interrupted the connection. If this does happen again then please let us know and we can take a further look.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Its a wireless connection. Its worked perfectly since she started working from home last year.  I should have added that she connected at 8am this morning and experienced a few problems until around 9, so this could have been a problem between her laptop, VPN and her works and not TalkTalk.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Morning,

Thanks for the update. It's possible that the sync speed will increase again once the connection has remained stable for a prolonged period of time. In regards to the work/vpn being unstable this morning, how is this connected, wired or wireless?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Hi Michelle, the connection has been stable throughout the weekend. This morning it seemed to be having a few minor problems, my partner is connected to her work via a VPN, and the connection kept dropping and speeds slow, but this now seems to have stopped. Before all this started, I was averaging around 37mbps daily. Now its dropped to around 30mbps. It was noticeable yesterday when running two streaming services but not to the point of ruining the experience.  I'm still convinced Openreach who worked last week on my street have 'fiddled' with the connections and somehow managed to lower my speeds.  As I'm above the guaranteed speeds, I assume I just have to live with it?  Thank you for your help Michelle. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hello,

I've re-checked the connection stats again and the stability and speed looks consistent for 4 days. How have you found the connection over the weekend?

Thanks

Message 8 of 20

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can't see the connection stats at the moment so I will check again later today.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hello,

Great thank you. I'll check this again on Monday and will post back then 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Good morning Michelle, thank you for monitoring this for me, and yes, can keep it plugged into the test socket over the weekend.  Have a good day!

Message 11 of 20

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and the stability has started to improve and the sync speed has also started to increased since your last post. Would it be possible to keep the router connected to the test socket over the weekend so we can see if the sync speed increases any further please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hello,

Great thank you. I will check the connection stats again tomorrow morning to see how the stability compares.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Phone and fibre plugged into a microfilter and the microfilter plugged into the test socket as at 0815hrs this morning

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi,

Yes please if the main socket has a test socket.

Your guide to main phone sockets

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi Michelle, do you mean unscrew the front of the master socket to find the test socket?  And my partner has better hearing than me, she's tried the phoneline and she said she can hear crackling on the line, plus she's confirmed that the lightning and thunder we had yesterday, the line went down for around ten minutes when there was a bright flash followed by very loud thunder.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone (if you use one) at the test socket for 24hrs so we can see how the stability compares please and so we can rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hi Michelle (and Ste_nix), I have a Openreach Mastersocket 5C Mk4 which was installed by an Openreach chap when I took out this fibre product a few years ago. The line is clear, no noise.   I have followed all the online support regarding slow speeds as well as following what the person said yesterday via the TalkTalk chat facility.  Nothing has changed on my set up here at home, the router down to the socket hasn't been touched. I was advised yesterday not to turn off and then on the router because it had already lost the connection five times in the space of an hour.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 20

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line and the sync speed has also dropped. Is there any noise on the voice service? Does your main socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Ste_Nix14
Community Star
Message 19 of 20

It may not be able to detect and intermittent fault on your line causing it to drop and reduce speed.

The Support team will be back in the morning and should pick this up. In the meantime have you tried all troubleshooting steps such as connecting direct to master socket and re running a Line test?

Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes