FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are third-party modems now blocked? Tried 3 - none works. I have FTTC.

digitalham
Team Player
Message 25 of 25

I was using my Asus DSL AC68u perfectly well for six months with no problem. I was previously using it on an 80/20 connection getting just over 70Mbps with PlusNet before that but took a 40/10 connection to save a little money when I moved to TalkTalk.

Then I read an offer - upgrade to uncapped for an extra £2. Why not I thought and took it. The price went up but the sync didn't it stayed at 40/10. After almost losing the will to live after many calls to CS/TS I asked for the upgrade to be cancelled. They wouldn't put the contract back as it was so wanted me to pay more and for longer for the same 40/10 so I took the upgrade again swapped to the TT router to rule out complaints about maine and persisted with the complaint.

They eventually sent an engineer. He said it needs Openreach to sort it and there is an OR engineer coming Tuesday.

I put the Asus router back on. Guess what although it syncs up just fine albeit still at 40/10 but with a very healthy noise margin and maximum sync declared as just shy of the 80 the actual intermet connection only stays active for a few minutes before dropping so I've had to put the inferior TT router back on. I believe that they are blocking it now - possibly because of the speed complaint.

OK so hopefully the OR bloke will either fix it or say it can't be although why would be a mystery as the line was fine at just short of maximum sync for more than 2 years before I switched to TT. If the can't deliver the guaranteed minimum  in 30 days my understanding is that I can leave penalty free.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Message 2 of 25

Thank you for that and the fix.

I will know better than to use phone support in future.

I actually told the bloke who came around that the cap wasn't lifted just the same as I told every CS/TS I spoke to (and there were plenty of those over several days) but he insisted that the line couldn't run any faster. I knew he was wrong but let him get on with whatever it was he was checking on his tablet. He never took a look at the wiring, router stats (even the TT router showed it could sync faster) or connect to my network,. He just asked me to run a speedtest on my phone then checked the tester history which was mostly 4G but I did point out a Plusnet test on this line showing 73/18

0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi @digitalham

Its too late to cancel the engineer without incurring a charge, But if the charge appears then we will clear it as the agent should have seen that the boost wasn't applied. 

I will fill in feedback for the agent. 

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Message 4 of 25

Thanks for getting this fixed. The router is now achieving maximum sync and a speedtest showed...

Check your speed
A two-minute test for your broadband

All done!
We've finished measuring your speed, and here are your results.

75.1 Mbps
Your average download speed
18.8 Mbps
Your average upload speed

It's a pity that the phone staff were unable to get this sorted out as it would have saved me a lot of time and of course there will be an OR engineer turning up tomorrow for no reason. PLEASE ENSURE I DON'T GET ANY CHARGE FOR THAT. It is entirely a TalkTalk problem.

I see there is at least one other thread which from the title is the exact same issue on the forum. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

I have rebooted the router and it still syncs at 40/10 right now. Plus you have booked an Openreach visit for tomorrow which is going to be pointless if the speed cap is in the process of being lifted. I'll leave it to you to decide whether to cancel that Openreach visit but it is now less than 24 hours away anyway. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Message 7 of 25

I know it isn't active but the billing was (twice) I got charged extra on my last bill following my 11 October attempt at getting it which wasn't delivered that I tried to back out from but couldn't.

Online through a "deals for you" in the TalkTalk  My account / Offers and upgrades section.

I received a confirmation email on 26 October saying..

Order Number: N70220445
Thank you for ordering with us
Dear Mark,
We're currently processing your order for Faster Fibre Broadband. We will email you with any updates and you can also check your TalkTalk My Account for updates too.
My Account
You can now use My Account to:
? Follow your order
? Get help with your set-up
? Control your bills and payments and much more
User ID:
Please note if you have selected to turn on any HomeSafe settings you will need to log in to your My Account for these to be activated
myaccount login
Your order
Your estimated broadband speeds
Download Speeds
Maximum speed
75.4 Mb
Typical speed range
55.2 Mb to 73.6 Mb
Minimum guaranteed speed
47.4 Mb
Upload Speeds
Maximum speed
18.9 Mb
Typical speed range
17.2 Mb to 18.9 Mb
Minimum speed
14.1 Mb
Contract length
18 months
Your broadband package
Fixed price for 18 months
Faster Fibre
£25.00
Your flexible boosts
Add and remove these boosts one month at a time
Fibre Speed Boost
£5 FREE
FREE for 18 months then £5.00 a month thereafter
Monthly total
£25.00
One-off payments
These amounts will appear on your first bill.
Contract Admin Fee
£30.00 FREE
One-off total on your first bill
£0
All call charges to service numbers beginning with 084/087/09 and 118 will consist of 2 parts; an access charge and a service charge.
Changed your mind?
We always strive to give TalkTalk homes great value and a service that can be relied on. However, If you change your mind give us a call on 0345 172 0046 and let us see how we can help. You can cancel anytime up to 20 days after we accept your order and you may have to pay any costs incurred up to the time you cancel.
The TalkTalk Team

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

Hi digitalham,

Thanks for the PM. I've checked you account and the speed boost isn't currently active, how did you sign up for the boost and approximately when?

Chris

Message 9 of 25

Hi digitalham,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details, could you please reply by PM with the answers to the security questions 

Thanks

Chris

Message 10 of 25

My community profile contains my landline and mobile numbers. There was an error in the STD code on the landline but I corrected that a while ago.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Hi digitalham,

Can you please update your community profile to include your current TalkTalk landline telephone number Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks
Chris

Message 12 of 25

Yes. Last 4 digits 0055 home phone 8818 mobile

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi digitalham,

I'm sorry to hear this. Could you confirm if the telephone number in your Community Profile is correct? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Message 14 of 25

The router reported max speeds are a little optimistic unless something has improved on the line as when it was 80/20 with Plusnet it delivered 72 to 73Mbps and on one occasion it slipped over to interleaved although it eventually went back to fastpath.

I think what has happened in the order process is that the billing side of things got upgraded but whatever the process should be to lift the cap didn't happen. That is actually obvious when taking the Service status check where it shows...

Your Speed to your Router

Promised Speed: 36 Mb - 37 Mb, Measured Speed Today: 40 Mb

Maybe TT can fix it tomorrow and save themselves the cost of the Openreach callout because there is no fault other than a failure to lift the cap. Something I must have said to anything up to 6 or 7 CS/TS reps during the course of my fruitless complaint calls.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Hi digitalham 

The line as reported is capable of delivering over 80Mbps downstream speed. It is just a matter of investigating why the speed boost isn't active.

• Has the order completed?
  • Are you being billed for the Speed boost?
  • Is there a fault?

The OCE will investigate from Monday onwards.

I doubt you'll be billed for Openreach involvement as it's pretty clear to me that the issue isn't going to be a physical or software fault on your side of the Openreach network.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 16 of 25

Openreach are already coming. I doubt that it is a failure at the cabinet unless it is a failure to accept the lifting of the cap as the sync rates are spot on for a capped 40/10 service.

Here is the order confirmation email...

Your order
Your estimated broadband speeds
Download Speeds
Maximum speed
75.4 Mb
Typical speed range
55.2 Mb to 73.6 Mb
Minimum guaranteed speed
47.4 Mb
Upload Speeds
Maximum speed
18.9 Mb
Typical speed range
17.2 Mb to 18.9 Mb
Minimum speed
14.1 Mb

Here is what my Asus router is reporting...

Line Stats
Downstream Upstream
TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)
On On
SNR Margin
16.5 dB 15.4 dB
Line Attenuation
8.3 dB 15.0 dB
Path Mode
FastPath FastPath
Interleave Depth
1 1
Data Rate
39999 kbps 9994 kbps
Max Rate
90872 kbps 23099 kbps
Power
0.5 dbm 0.6 dbm
INP
0.0 symbols 1.2 symbols
INP-SHINE
- -
INP-REIN
- -
CRC

I first ordered the speed boost on 11th October and spent so long on the phone chasing why it hadn't upgraded that I cancelled that order and asked for the account to be put back as it was. They failed to put the contract end date and price back despite several calls so I reordered and am now persevering with the failure to deliver the promised speed. I heartily wish I hadn't bothered.

The upgrade failed to happen twice. I suspect it is a system failure and wonder how many future claims will be rolling in for failure to deliver promised speeds.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Hi digitalham 

I've escalated this speed boost issue to the TalkTalk team.  Normally, the speed boost is applied by the system within 24 hours without any manual intervention. Assuming the order for the speed boost has successfully gone through the system.

I assume the billing side reflects the additional £2 for the speed boost?

Maybe it will require Openreach to fix if it's a DSLAM card fail.

The TalkTalk team will look at your account details and check on what's happening. I see your Community profile is near complete but please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number [IMPORTANT] and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add any relevant other notes and finally save changes. TalkTalk's Community Team OCE will then locate your registered TalkTalk details.

Message 18 of 25

No it is still capped at 40/10. That obviously means is isn't delivering the minimum guaranteed 47Mbps which is why the Talktalk engineer they sent first has escalated it to Openreach. If the cap gets lifted it sholdb return to the 70Mbps download that the line was delivering with Plusnet according to the router Max sync estimate.

It's obvious that the 40/10 cap wasn't lifted but the TT "technical support" seemed to be totally oblivious to that. To be honest I'm not fussed if they fail to fix it as I will be able to leave penalty free I believe and can swap to an ISP with a clue and grab some cashback again in the process. 

Message 19 of 25

Hi digitalham 

You report that the broadband is working just fine. Does that mean that the 80/20 service i.e. the Speed Boosted option you upgraded to is now operational?

If so, as John says, cancel the Openreach engineer. Your Openreach engineer appointment gives details of how to cancel or you can contact TalkTalk Customer Services.

Message 20 of 25

If Openreach turn out and find no fault or a fault on your premises, you will be hit with a £65 charge. If all is running OK you should try to cancel Openreach.

Retired the 11 years old Dell, new one is an Inspiron 3881 running Windows 10 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.
0 Likes