FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iplayer app on smart “Samsung 2018 TV” will not stream live

sgdavies
Chatterbox
Message 17 of 17

BBC iplayer app on smart “Samsung 2018 TV” will not stream live, although if I connect it to my hotspot on my phone it does. So my question is can anybody else stream bbciplayer from their smart tv app, specifically using a 2018 Samsung smart TV?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi balein,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Thanks - I have checked the TV settings and IPv6 is enabled, however it works fine with the HG633 router and TalkTalk, it is only with the WiFi Hub that there is a problem with live streaming, so it is some combination of Samsung TV and WiFI hub that causes the problem - maybe the WiFi hub is not properly supporting IPv6 yet?  Interestingly if I access iPlayer via my Amazon FireTV which is connected to the same TV and the same internet conenction then iPlayer live streams OK.    I may try the WiFi Hub again with the IPv6 disabled, if I get some free time, however I found the connection speed of the HG633 to be about 10% faster which is why I changed back.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17
hiya the setting you need to change is on your samsung tv go to settings ( menu)
...general ...network....expert settings ...and cancel ipv6 ( get rid of green blob by
clicking on it) its because apparently talktalk dont support IPv6? then live streaming and
going back to beginning of a programme on iplayer will work ..well it sorted it for me ...same telly
btw someone needs to tell samsung support this they deny there is a problem.
K3vnnYork...Retired too much time on my hands love tech my synology NAS drive my sonos system my samsung smart tv's my iphone 6 plus but most of all love my wife Nicky and my kids Hannah thomas flissy and Max!!!
live in York ( the dry bit)
0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi

This will have been a setting in the TV, not within the router.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 5 of 17

I have had this exact same problem with my Samsung UE43NU7400 TV, however the problem only happens when I use the WiFi Hub router, and not when I use the HG633 router.  With the HG633 it is all working perfectly including the green button to go to back to the start of a program.   Because of this fault I have stopped using the WiFi hub and reverted to the HG633

Please can you confirm where you made the change to settings to stop using IPV6 - is this in the router or in the TV?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi anyone suffering from fault code 30110 where you cannot go back during live tv to start of program please just go to network and cancel ip6 as talk talk doesn’t yet support this .. my 2018 Samsung now works with iPlayer properly 🙂 

K3vnnYork...Retired too much time on my hands love tech my synology NAS drive my sonos system my samsung smart tv's my iphone 6 plus but most of all love my wife Nicky and my kids Hannah thomas flissy and Max!!!
live in York ( the dry bit)
0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Fantastic.

Your TV is the sexy piece of kit. I'm delighted that you have achieved its full potential.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 8 of 17

Hi Gondola,

Topman! Or Topwoman, I don’t know your sex, but having checked the IPv6 protocol, it was using this to connect to router, I had the optio to disable this, it didn’t say what it would then default to, assume it’s IPv4? Anyway now it’s connecting perfectly.

thanks allot to your support.

Message 9 of 17
Good advice from Gondola, I have a Samsung 2018 and am watching snooker on BBC iPlayer as I write. Did you try updating the player app on the telly?
I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 10 of 17

Hi sgdavies

If iPlayer is fully working on other devices connected via your TalkTalk router and is also working on the Samsung TV for OnDemand content but failing to run live streaming then that puts the issue back with the Samsung TV and the iPlayer app or the connection to the TalkTalk router.

• Try another Ethernet cable and Ethernet port at the back of the router
  • Update and check the iPlayer app isn't on a Beta version / UHD version
  • Check the Samsung TV isn't trying to make a network connection with IPv6 protocol. TalkTalk support isn't yet running dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6.

Message 11 of 17

Hi Gondola,

Yes that’s pretty much it...

I did power down all other wifi devices, to unload router, but no difference, also crossed my mind that talk talk isp was somehow blocking the iplayer app, but can believe they would as there would be uproar about that with connected TV customers.

also considered buying third party router, but hesitant in case I get same problem with new router.

so am out of ideas, I appreciate your interest and help.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

...just to clarify.

TV and other devices all connected via your TalkTalk router to the TalkTalk connection.

BBC iPlayer fails to live stream TV channels on the Samsung TV app but does play OnDemand content.

BBC iPlayer on other devices does both live stream TV channels and OnDemand content.

Have I got that right?

Message 13 of 17

Hi Gondola,

so, powered down router (yes it’s the talk talk one I received when joining October) unplugged and left off for about an hour to be sure

It’s the same problem, all other streaming works ITV, 4, 5, YouTube sky news, etc, only live streaming fails from the TV app. Also interesting is from the browser I can watch, but that doesn’t look great from there.

iplayer streams from other devices like iOS and Android devices.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi sgdavies

Based on your observations of iPlayer working well via other networks it feels like it's a local issue related to your TalkTalk router or its connection.

So to troubleshoot:

• Reboot the router. Power down and if on a fibre connection wait 20-30 minutes before repowering.  I assume it's a TalkTalk supplied router that's in use?
  • Check if iPlayer live streaming works on other wi-fi or ethernet connected devices like a notebook or tablet or mobile
  • I assume that iPlayer OnDemand and other OnDemand players work on the TV e.g. itvHub, All4, My5?

Message 15 of 17

Hi Gondola, thanks for your reply, the error message I get is 03110, yes I have tried everything with the settings, and even reset tv to factory settings, Samsung support claim all is working as it should be, BBCiplayer when I emailed them told me I was the first they had heard of this problem.

my TV is a Samsung 2018 model

QE49Q6FNA,

it appears it does not seem to be in that list you sent, which is odd as it’s a 2018 model.

When I went into PC World /Currys, I got them in the store to try this problem out, and it worked on their WiFi so it’s very odd it does not work on my talk talk WiFi or ethernet connection, and to add to the mystery it does work if I connect it to my phones hotspot which uses the Three network.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi @sgdavies

Here's the list of 2018 Samsung TV's that are certified for iPlayer support. The BBC are currently investigating an issue with iplayer not loading on some Samsung TV's.

Do you get any error message?  Have you tried setting the iPlayer app for standard definition to see if live streaming then works?  Settings > Settings & Help > Video Quality.