FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Band steering WiFi hub channel management

ukhardy07
Team Player
Message 6 of 6

Hi all,

I had WiFi hub channel management disabled as it kept choosing the same channel as my SkyQ. Since this, I have noticed the band steering doesn’t work, ie virtually all my devices connect to 2.4GHz and don’t ever get forced to 5GHz. Previously, devices would be forced into 5GHz and if they connected to 2.4GHz would move to 5GHz within a small period of time.

Is this standard behaviour? 

If the management is required for band steering it likely makes sense to turn it back on. 

TalkTalk Fibre65
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi

This is off now, you can set the wifi channel.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

ukhardy07
Team Player
Message 2 of 6

Thanks Karl, was hoping it would help… Unfortunately that’s made things much worse. Struggling to get any sort of stream on the channel it has picked (router on shelf, on other side of stud wall from TV).

Can we switch it back off and I can revert back to the channels I had it on before. 

A9227CB1-C1C7-41BC-B803-2890575CFDAD.jpeg

TalkTalk Fibre65
0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi

It's back on now.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

ukhardy07
Team Player
Message 4 of 6

The optimisation was disabled already, this seems to have stopped band steering from working. Can we turn it back on? I don’t think there is much benefit to having a clear 5GHz channel in use if my devices end up stuck on 2.4GHz, and I would rather not have 2 split SSIDs given everything is connected up. 

Also, Thanks a lot. This community forum is awesome. 

TalkTalk Fibre65
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi

If you want to turn the management feature on, we can disable optimisation so you can manually set the wifi channel.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes