FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broad band is DEAD!

Wingman
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 17

Hi,  My Broadband connection has been getting slower and slower over the last month or so and today it dropped to 2.8 down 4.1 up - yes that is the right way round - but the noise figure was 5.70db which equates to close to 40Mb. However, now the router won't sync up so I'm stuffed - using phone hotspot for this but I only have 500Mb available data. Looks to me like something needs resetting in the local exchange which I know BT can do remotely. Could you please give BT an earfull and see if you can get me sorted. 

I've just renewed my contract with you for 2 years so I'm expecting STELLAR customer service on this one.

cheers

Wingman

16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

OK, no problem, just let us know if you need any further assistance. 

Chris

0 Likes

Wingman
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 17

Hi Michelle, Well at the moment the modem is reporting 35.7/6.6 and has been up for 8 hours so that's looking a bit better. It's the wife's birthday today so I'm not allowed to play with my toys😄 - I'll leave my test running for the day and see how it goes - I'll get back to you with the results.

cheers

Wingman

Message 3 of 17

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the sync speed has increased, however the connection looks unstable. Would you like us to arrange another engineer visit? If so please can you provide some more availability and we can arrange this.

Thanks

Wingman
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 17

Hi guys,

Well my Broadband is now complete rubbish after the BT visit - I guess the original fault has got much worse.

Over the last 24hrs the uptime has only been 87% with 11 outages and when it is up the speed is anything from 2 to 20 megs down.

details as follows:-

Wingman_0-1637708358796.png

Looks like you will have to get BT to do a proper job this time because from where I'm looking at it Talk Talk is out of contract.

cheers

Wingman

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Morning,

Thank you for the update and we'll check back in towards the end of the week to see if the speeds have remained consistent.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Wingman
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 17

Hi Debbie, Well had the BT visit this morning (8.20am Yikes!) He tested the line after "re-setting" it and pronounced it healthy and poked about in the house wiring but couldn't find anything wrong "story of my life" he said 🙂. According to him the line had been capped at 18mbs and the system does this if it sees instability on the line but it does not reset itself hence why it was stuck on 18/5. So it looks like there has been some sort of occurrence on the line which caused serious instability. This is the same scenario as happened back in April so I guess it'll remain a mystery. I'm slightly puzzled as to why an engineer has to come to the house to reset the line - I would have thought that, with all the whizzy tech available now, some network engineer somewhere in the world would have been able to reset my crappy port from his laptop/phone - do they charge you for house visits? (oooo wash my mouth out 😁). Anyway it's running 30/6 now - not brilliant but you're back in contract😉. I did ask him why the speed drops off over time (months) but he didn't know.

Thanx for you assistance once again.

cheers

Wingman

ps for your info :-

Wingman_0-1637576379104.png

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17
0 Likes

Wingman
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 17

Thanx Debbie - Purrrrrrfection - you're an absolute 🌟

Message 9 of 17

Hi Wingman

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 22/11 AM (8am -1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi Wingman

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Wingman
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 17

Hi Debbie, Thanx for replying. Yes, please arrange for an engineer visit - I will arrange to be at home for whatever date/time they can manage.

It's vaguely annoying that it looks OK from your end when it patently isn't - wonder if your tests are being returned from the local exchange and not my kit.

Anyway thanx again,

regards 

Wingman

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi Wingman

As the line test is clear the only option we have is to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

Would you like me to arrange this visit?

0 Likes

Wingman
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 17

Hi Debbie, My router synced up again at 2210 last night but it's bumbling along at 18/5 so you are currently out of contract...................... 

Wingman_0-1637151560945.png

I could play with modems but I'm tired of that now and in the past it has always been a BT problem - last time in April 2021 I believe. So lets cut to the chase and get BT flashed up to sort out their miserable local infrastructure. I'm away for the rest of the day so will have to leave you too it.

cheers

Wingman.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi Wingman

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line.

Have you recently tested with a new router at the test socket?

0 Likes

Wingman
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 17

Yeah did the service centre thing  - don't know what router it's testing but it's not mine! and you just go round in circles. Did the master socket thing and now the router won't sync up. I'll phone them tomorrow but I'm pretty sure BT just need a kicking! Anyway with a 5.7db noise figure the connection should be red hot!

cheers

Wingman

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi @Wingman,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow. You may get faster support from the live chat or calling customer services on 0345 172 0088 during opening hours.