Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband continues to drop

11 REPLIES 11
daveys
Chatterbox

I raised a call last week and spent over an hour going through steps to try and address the continual dropping of the broadband line (sagecom router flashes orange). The engineer tried a few things and it seem ok for a short period of time but its is still persisting. The online test has not identified an issue. The router is plugged into teh master socket with no other devices connected to the line. The master socket was replaced with the latest one beofre christmas.

I am not wanting to spend another hour going through the same steps.

I am running the router with wifi off and have connected a tp-link mesh to provide wifi following issues with coverage last year.

Hopefully someone might be able to help

Thanks

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @daveys,

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could try the router in there, that would then eliminate the faceplate of the socket itself being the cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

daveys
Chatterbox

Thank you. The trouble with these issues is they tend to be intermitent and probably down to the aging BT infrastructure out there. I will try that and see what TT can come back with

Debbie-TalkTalk
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi daveys

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line tests are clear but I can see that there were a really high number of re connections on the line around 27/01 - 29/01.

The connection appears to be more stable over the last couple of days. How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

daveys
Chatterbox

Thanks Debbie

Its been stable over the last couple of days although it feels slower. I am going to try a different router and maybe get an openreach modem as these (apparently) can be more stable. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks for looking into this for me.

Michelle-TalkTalk

Hi daveys,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've re-run the line test now which is still clear. Can I just confirm, what speeds are you currently seeing if you run a wired speed test?

Thanks

daveys
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie, I tried to post a couple of times and seems thos have been lost so 3rd time lucky. I now have an Openreach Modem (obtained on ebay for the princely sum of £2) and plugged that into my TPlink Deco M4 mesh. I am getting 65mb which is about as fast as i have ever got. I will see how the stability goes.

The supplied router isnt bad, but the Decos provide whole house coverage and addressed some of the wifi issues I had before. Additionally, by using the modem you can deploy the Decos in router mode so you can for example change access control locally and other features. It's been a very stable set up.

Thanks

Michelle-TalkTalk

Hi daveys,

I'm sorry for the delay. How has your connection been since your last post?

Thanks

daveys
Chatterbox

Hi Michelle it has been better but we did lose internet today and had to reboot.

Michelle-TalkTalk

Hi daveys,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats and apart from the re-connection you mention, the connection looks very stable. Please let us know if this does happen again and we can take another look.

Thanks

daveys
Chatterbox

Hello Michelle, Although it has been better we are starting to see the number of disconnections going up again. I would be grateful if you can tell me what you can see.

Thanks

Debbie-TalkTalk

Hi daveys

I've checked the connection stats and I can see re connections on the line, apologies for this.

If you have tested with a different router at the test socket and the connection is still dropping then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit (Line tests are clear)

Thanks

Debbie