Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Broadband drops several times a day

22 REPLIES 22
macgd016
Whizz Kid

I have suffered from this problem since I moved to this house in 2014 and even moved to Fibre to get rid of it but no matter what TT or I do it persists. 

Several times a day the Internet service will pause or drop totally.  Sometimes this will just be for 10 seconds or so, other times it will be longer leading to web pages showing that there is a security or proxy issue with the page and sometimes the router will reboot.

TT tests always show that the connection to the exchange is fine and I have had engineers out several time to check my house and the line to the exchange, each time everything is found to be fine.

I have done my own testing and this has shown that I have the same results on cabled and wifi devices at the same time and I have run a dedicated cable direct from my router to my desktop PC and get the same results also.

The main BT socket is in my garage with a new style master socket and the router is connected via the cable supplied by TT.

So all testing shows that all cables and equipment is fine but the problem persists, how can I take this forward? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Obviously you have covered the "REIN & SHINE" scenarios with OR and TT?

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Understanding-REIN-and-SHINE

Like an adjacent Freezer Compressor or ?????????? from a neightbour.

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Good suggestion @Anonymous.

@macgd016, I experience very similar sounding issues myself. The phone line into my home goes through the cupboard where the Central heating / boiler equipment is. Over the years I have worked out that sometimes (but not every time) that the thermostat on the hot water tank wants to switch the boiler on it causes a pause or drop on my internet, so some part of the central heating system is causing enough electrical interference when it tries to switch on that it affects the phone line that is quite close to it, and affects my broadband connection.

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Thanks for the suggestions but the BT cable comes into the outside wall of my attached garage and there is nothing electric in there except the light!
macgd016
Whizz Kid

This is a very typical trace of the connection which shows a couple of short breaks

macgd016_0-1605548378916.png

ScoutBloke
First Timer

1. How do you get that trace of broadband?

2. We suffer dropouts daily at 12 and 4pm possibly more.

3. We feel we are capped at 20Mb when we should be getting 36Mb or better as we did a few weeks ago.

4. What are talkTalk doing about this?

Steve

Tartanarmy1
Chat Champion

@ScoutBloke wrote:

1. How do you get that trace 

2. We suffer dropouts daily at 12 and 4pm possibly more.

3. We feel we are capped at 20Mb when we should be getting 36Mb or better as we did a few weeks ago.

4. What are talkTalk doing about this?

Steve

macgd016
Whizz Kid

@ScoutBoy I think you need to start your own post on this rather than hi-jacking this one

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Well

""Thanks for the suggestions but the BT cable comes into the outside wall of my attached garage and there is nothing electric in there except the light!""

Well radio frequency signals could be present.

"Smart meters use a secure national communication network (called the DCC) to automatically and wirelessly send your actual energy usage to your supplier. If you have a smart meter you don't need to rely on estimated energy bills or provide your own regular readings.

Smart meters also come with an in-home display. This display gives you real-time usage info, including kWh use and cost."

macgd016
Whizz Kid
"Well radio frequency signals could be present"

Yes they will be but as there are no electrical or electronic devices near by there is nothing that could create a strong enough EMF capable of getting into the cables.

Also I do not have smart meters
OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi macgd016

I'm really sorry for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Would you like me to send a new WIFI Hub for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

macgd016
Whizz Kid

Thanks Debbie,

Sorry I have only just seen you reply.

If this is one of the new TT hubs it would be worth trying but I have tried a replacement DSL-3782 in the past and it had no effect.

macgd016
Whizz Kid

Debbie

I have experienced two or three long outages recently, over an hour last week and ten minutes today (see attached, I'm referring to the one at 13:20) I don't think these are associated with the problems I am having but it would be interesting to know what has caused them.

macgd016_0-1606144881986.png

macgd016
Whizz Kid

And here is another one

macgd016_0-1606227114032.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Usually I have daft ideas to submit, this is slightly worse....

Really Daft Diagnosis...

A time clock for the Central Heating/Hot Water as you seem to have an outing circa 2:00 pm.

Even a Thermostat that is on a Radio Frequency or switches a heavy load.

That's it.

OCE_Debbie

Hi macgd016

I've ordered the new Huawei WIFI Hub for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Thanks Debbie
macgd016
Whizz Kid

Hi Ann-Droid

Thanks for your ideas but your scraping the barrel now 😂

I'm an electronics engineer so I ruled out these ideas early on but you are correct in some circumstances these things can cause a problem.

Mac

OCE_Debbie

Hi macgd016

No problem, please let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

macgd016
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie

I am still getting failures, see attached screen shots.  However, the wifi on the new router is much better so I am going to try and do some more in-house testing.  I will update you when I've done this.

Mac