FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed are way below advertised speeds

GRex96
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

My broadband speeds are nowhere near close to the advertised speeds. I'm paying for superfast fibre and because this house was only built 8 years ago, I was promised close to 80mbs download speed whilst I'm only getting 30mbs max on a good day though a wired connection.

My speeds were better before I upgraded to super fast fibre a few months ago. Not only that my Internet goes out several times a day. Another issue is my Internet cuts out every time I get a call to the landland phone. It has a filter installed.

I also believe my speeds are being capped as shown by the downstream maximum rate of 47231Kbps.

Screenshot_20210726-200301_Chrome.jpg

I've had to resort to talktalk forums because I've called numerous times and they have not been been able to help.

Thanks

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi

Glad our team was able to help.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

GRex96
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 14

Hi Debbie,

The engineer just finalised his visit. The engineer managed to fix the issue and I am now getting full 80mb/s download and 20mb/s upload. Thank you for resolving the issue.

Message 3 of 14

Hi GRex96

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 06/08 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

GRex96
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 14

Hi Debbie,

Yes I can confirm the possibility of engineering charges. I should be available for either am or pm.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi GRex96

Thanks for confirming your details.

Please can you also confirm potential engineer charges and provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi GRex96

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

GRex96
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 14

Hi Debbie,

Yes I would like an engineer visit.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi GRex96

I've checked the connection stats and the line is in sync at 38.3mb.

If you have tested with a different router at the test socket for 48hrs then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange this visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

GRex96
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 14

Hi Michelle,

My broadband speeds have not changed. I've been onto the service centre to run a test on the service and it states there may be a problem with the service. Apologies for the late reply I've been really busy. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Morning,

Thanks for connecting the router at the test socket. Please could you post back here tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats again to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed now that the router is connected at the test socket.

Thanks

0 Likes

GRex96
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 14

Hi Michelle,

Both phone and router are connected to the microfilter which is connected to the test socket .

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 14

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which is clear. If the main socket has a test socket then if possible please can you connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed please.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi @GRex96,

The fact that your upstream is showing as 20000 proves that you are on the faster Fibre 65 package, so that can theoretically give you speeds of 80000 'down' (although the actual speed you can get is totally dependent on the length of your phone line). If you are having regular drops of connection then this can have a knock on effect on your speed as the equipment in the street cabinet will reduce your speeds in an attempt to stabilise your connection. So it would be good to get the cause of the drops investigated, as resolving that may then allow your speeds to increase.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

The maximum downstream rate being lower than you expect does not mean your connection is being capped, that number is just the fastest speed your router thinks it would be possible to connect at if there was nothing else limiting the connection speed (and the DLM equipment in the street cabinet could well be limiting your connection speed if your line is dropping a lot). So the fact that number is much lower than you would expect may well just be due to the fact there is some issue with the line (possibly causing the drops of connection too).