FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed regression – Faster Fibre plus speed boost package.

Brian-BH13
Conversation Starter
Message 54 of 54
  • OpenReach engineer completed new Fibre installation on site Saturday, 3 November 2018.
  • Engineer wired existing router (Super Router HG635) from ‘Master Socket SC MK4’ to desktop computer using new Ethernet cable.
  • Engineer tested broadband speed several times before leaving site – averaging around 61Mbps.
  • Speed maintained at around 60Mbps over the coming days.
  • Broadband speed dropped yesterday afternoon, Wednesday 7 November to 45.6Mbps.
  • Tested speed 8:00 this morning – 46.1Mbps.
  • Tested speed 12noon 8 November – 46.6Mbps download, 16.9Mbps upload.

Concerned at much reduced speed as there have not been any equipment changes or settings adjustments, or router reboot etc since engineer’s visit.

Statistics: 

• DSL synchronization status: Up
  • Connection status: Showtime
  • Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 18805
  • Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 49350
  • Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 19595
  • Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 70943
  • Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 7
  • Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 3
  • Upstream interleave depth: 0
  • Downstream interleave depth: 0
  • Line standard: VDSL
  • Upstream line attenuation (dB): 0
  • Downstream line attenuation (dB): 0
  • Upstream output power (dBm): 8
  • Downstream output power (dBm): 8
  • Channel type: None
  • DSL up-time: 0 days 22 hours 4 minutes 11 seconds

Brian-BH13
0 Likes
53 REPLIES 53

Message 21 of 54

For record purposes only (no action) – speed still around 10% lower than week ago.

• 31 December 2018 – power outage late afternoon (around two hours)
  • 1 January 2019 – speed test 8:30am: 56.2Mbps
  • 10:10am – 56.2Mbps
  • 15:30 – 56.4Mbps
Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 22 of 54

For record only (no action) – speed not improving.

• Speed test 30 December 2018 8:25 – 56.7Mbps
  • 14:05 – 56.9Mbps
Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 23 of 54

For record only (no action) – speed not improving.

• Speed test 29 December 2018 8:15 – 56.3Mbps
Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 24 of 54

Ok,  monitor and if you need any assistance just post back here.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 25 of 54

Many thanks Karl.   Quick Google search shows people have reported before noisy routers, albeit haven’t spotted any for TalkTalk, so guess not just me experienced this?   Anyway, only glad still not giving problem as real piercing sound.

• Speed test 28 December 2018 12:20 – 56.9Mbps.

Seems to be constant around this reading at the moment.  Hopefully, will recover shortly to previous 61-62Mbps earlier this week?    Will keep monitoring and recording on here.

Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 26 of 54

Hi

Never had this issue before of the router making a high pitched noise.  I've seen it with the TV Box with a faulty drive, but not the router.

The current speed result is fine.  Keep an eye on things and let us know if this happens again.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 27 of 54

Thanks for getting back Debbie.  

What happened is that during the afternoon 25 December, the (new) router, for some unexplained reason, developed a high pitched piercing sound.   I pressed the button on the router turning it off hoping the sound would stop when turned back on.   But the sound was still present when switched on.    I then unplugged everything, including the computer and waited about five minutes.    When I plugged everything back and switched on, the sound was no longer heard.    And, thankfully, has not returned.     Could this temporary interruption be the result of the speed drop?

• Speed test 15:00 – 57.4Mbps

Thanks again Debbie.

Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 28 of 54

Hi Brian-BH13

I've checked the connection stats and your line is showing in sync at 61.3mb.

Was the router rebooted a few times on 25/12? I can see re connections on the line on this day.

Thnaks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 29 of 54

Yes please Debbie.   Speedtest 12:30 returned 56.2Mbps.    Seems to have returned to speed early December, see thread above.    Michelle mentioned DLM adjustment to overcome previously.    After few days returned to around 60-61Mbps and, as I say, has been fine until a few days ago when it dropped back again.  

Thanks for your help Debbie.

Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 30 of 54

Hi Brian-BH13

Would you like me to look into this further?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 31 of 54

For record only (no action required) – Speed still dipping from early week 61-62Mbps

• Speed test 27 December 2018 9:10 – 56.5Mbps
Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 32 of 54

For record only (no action required) – Speed dipping

• Speed test 26 December 2018 12:40 – 57.4Mbps
Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 33 of 54

Hi Brian-BH13,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 34 of 54

Quick update Michelle:

• Speed test 6 December 2018 12:15 – 61.9Mbps

Real improvement.    Back to what is was.    Thank you so much for your help Michelle – very much appreciated.

Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 35 of 54

6 December 2018:

Thank you Michelle.   Unfortunately, we have had some power outages in our area during the night – normal service restored at 8:15 this morning.    Not sure whether this may have impacted on router updating, etc?    But good news in that speed has increased slightly.

• Speed test 8:40am – 58.7Mbps

Once again, thanks for your help Michelle.

Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 36 of 54

Hi Brian-BH13,

Ok thanks for letting me know. Could you continue to monitor the connection for a few more days to see if DLM increases the speed again? If may have dropped slightly due to the no dialtone fault you experienced and hopefully DLM will increase this again.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 37 of 54

Hello Michelle:

The master socket is Openreach type 5C – Mk 4.   It was wired by Openreach Engineer Saturday 3 November for the new faster fibre contract.   He plugged the router into the left hand socket on the front - and plugged the landline into the other, right hand, socket.   So there are no other sockets available.   

I haven’t tampered with this in any way – it’s still the way he left it.    As I say, it’s been running fine at around 60Mbps for over three weeks.  It’s just only very recently, as recorded on here, that it has steadied at lower speed of around 56Mbps.   56.2Mbps just now (14:15).   Puzzling?

Thanks for your help.

Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 38 of 54

Hi Brian-BH13,

Thanks for the update. The sync speed does look like it has dropped slightly. Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 39 of 54

Thank you Michelle for getting back so quickly.    Pleased to say broadband and landline all OK this morning.    May have just been a local problem yesterday afternoon?    Anyway all up and running now.     

Still wondering why broadband speed dropped from previous average over last few weeks of around 60 - 61Mbps, to around 56Mbps currently.    I will keep monitoring but don't understand why this is happening as there have not been any software changes, or device additions, etc that could possibly impact.

Thanks again Michelle.

Brian-BH13
0 Likes

Message 40 of 54

Hi Brian-BH13,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Are you still unable to dial out at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes