FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband username/password

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 34 of 34

Hi everyone.

I finished chatting with somebody on the webchat about 2 hours ago.

I asked for username and password to connect/use my own router to access internet.

The person to whom i talked said it will send me a "supermail" (their words) with all the details regarding this issue. I'm still waiting. Personally i think he/she was taking the pi**.

I previously been with EE/Plusnet. I am using the same setup. I even gave the talk-talk crappy router a chance. It keeps loosing sync. So it is definetelly the router's fault.

With the other providers i have used a Linksys EA6900 and a separate modem with no issues. Never. Perfect connection.

Can someone help me out with those details? Please.

I know the user is my landline phone number Removed forSecurity @talktalk.net. But i don't know the password. And no. It won't connect if i set the router to Automatic. It needs to be set to PPPoE.

P.S. I am a I.T. engineer. So please stop asking lame questions like adaptors, filters, cables, master socket and stuff.

Thank you and i wait for you help.

I Eat Routers For Breakfast
33 REPLIES 33

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 34

Hello again.

I'll just place this screenshot here.

Perfectly stable broadband with a proper working router/modem.

Always a good idea to invest in quality hardware with proper support and bug free firmware.

tp_link_212.jpg

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

Today I've also decided to use a 3rd party router. The Talktalk one broke down after 8 months and left me without TV and internet for the past few days (Thanks to the wonderful support).

Since I've also just spent an hour trying to set it up using the official Talktalk instructions, I can confirm the settings do NOT work. So hopefully somebody has use of my experience:

- Get the cheapest ADSL router (I use the TPLink TD-W9970)

- Connect the cable from the mastersocket into the new router

- Use TP-Link's Auto-Detect Connection Type

- It should come up with a result, but instead of using the given PPPoE option, switch it over to IPoE (Dynamic IP) and presto, I was online again!

This means I didn't have to use any username/password at all, just make sure the adsl-cable is connected and let the IPoE do it's magic

0 Likes

Message 3 of 34
What did you use?
0 Likes

Message 4 of 34

I too have the W9970 and wish to know the username and password to use in the setup. 

Please help

0 Likes

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 34

Hello Coleenoe.

Did you managed to get it working? What broadband package do you have?

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 34

Hi there,

have this same model of router. Still haven’t discovered the correct ppp user/password combo. Can you help?

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 34

If you want trouble free broadband, please, consider investing in this router. For 30 pounds it's a gem. The wi-fi is not the latest and greatest but mops the floor with any router Talk-Talk throws at you.

0 Likes

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 34

w9970_31days.jpg

And now there are 31 days of impecable service and stability.

Can't fault Talk-Talk when using my own hardware and not their sub-par routers. Excuse me. SUPER routers (my behind) emoticon.joytears.title

0 Likes

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 34

w9970_21days.jpg

And here you have a 21 days screenshoot of perfect UPTIME.

Someone can explain why? I can't take this anymore.

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 34

w9970_14days.jpg

Oooh look. Two weeks UPTIME. That's 14 days.

But hey. Who's keeping score.

P.S. TalkTalk, stop sending those crappy routers to customers. From what i've been reading in the forums, most problems users have are related to this issue.

But of course you guys know this. Why any business chose to shoot itself in the foot, intentionally, is beyond my comprehension.

If i had to guess... that's the deal you made with BT/Openreach. Lower cost but you had to use crappy hardware so they can justify their absurd prices. "Yes, sure, we charge almost double but our broadband works much better that the competition"

P.P.S I'll be posting another screenshoot in a week emoticon.joytears.title

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 34

w9970_7days.jpg

Perfect connection for more than a week now. Beat that with your crappy talk-talk router.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 34

emoticon.winkingface.title

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 34

Thank you? emoticon.joytears.title

Good one mate.

Message 14 of 34

No need to thank us for pointing out the settings required.

0 Likes

AlinC
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 34

Fixed the problem. Somewhat... emoticon.nerd.title

Linksys EA6900, apparently, doesn't work with Dynamic IP on Talk-Talk. Thank you Linksys.

I've bought a TP-Link W9970 (review) and left my EA6900 working as a repeater for the improved wireless and gigabit network.

48 hours later, the connection still going strong and stable. No disconnects 2-3 times a day because of the crappy talk-talk router.

w9970.jpg

Quite happy with TP-Link. Tons of settings, firewall, bandwidth control and much more. One hundred times more settings and performance that the talk-talk one.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 34

It means a typo, blessed are those who have never made one 🙄

Message 17 of 34

@DarrenHill wrote:

Anyway I'll bow out of this thread now before I do end up hijacking it...

....... and if you are still not sure what pejurative means DarrenHill, look up pejorative, I did!

Message 18 of 34
I wasn't actually raising an issue, merely explaining where the information you corrected actually came from in the first place. Although I guess it could have been misinterpreted that way. Just trying to share and help.

As you noted there are a few threads already about similar routers to mine (a Fritz!box 7590) so hopefully I won't have the same issue that @AlinC is suffering.

Anyway I'll bow out of this thread now before I do end up hijacking it...

Message 19 of 34

Sorry, what is not the answer? Does your router not have the facility to automatically obtain an IP address using IPoE?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 34

@DarrenHill "Hijacking" is not intended as a pejurative term, it is just a description of someone using someone else's topic to raise their own issues, which you had started to do after your initial contribution. That's all. And the way these forums work it can be more unhelpful than elsewhere.

0 Likes