FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my new speed be improved at all? Fibre + Boost

TonySlater
Conversation Starter
Message 14 of 14

I recently took a new contract with Fibre + Speed Boost, which was supposed to offer me between 60 - 80mb download speeds.  My previous download speed was around 37mb maximum on speed tests.  TalkTalk said the minimum line speed would be 58.6mb before I upgraded.  

Here are all the stats you will need.  The line is stable and I notice that the upload speed has been doubled on a speed test, but the download speeds are not very much improved at all.  Certainly not in the range predicted before I took out the new deal.  

Speedtest result before upgrade:
Ping 65 / Jitter 1
Download Speed: 36.4 Mbps
Upload Speed: 8.9 Mbps

Router Stats before updgrade:
Upstream line rate: 9999 kbit/s
Downstream line rate: 39806 kbit/s
Maximum Downstream rate: 69740 kbit/s
Upstream noise safety coefficient: 12.6 dB
Downstream noise safety coefficient: 11.3 dB
Upstream interleave depth: 1
Downstream interleave depth: 5
Upstream line attenuation: 4.6 dB
Downstream line attenuation: 8.7 dB
Upstream output power: 6.9 dBm
Downstream output power: 14.1 dBm
Channel type: Interleaved
Line standard: VDSL2

------------------------------------------------------------

Speedtest result after upgrade:
Ping 75 / Jitter 12
Download Speed: 43.5 Mbps
Upload Speed: 16.7 Mbps

Router Stats after updgrade:
Upstream line rate: 19992 kbit/s
Downstream line rate: 47145 kbit/s
Maximum Downstream rate: 69664 kbit/s
Upstream noise safety coefficient: 6 dB
Downstream noise safety coefficient: 6.6 dB
Upstream interleave depth: 1
Downstream interleave depth: 2725
Upstream line attenuation: 4.6 dB
Downstream line attenuation: 8.6 dB
Upstream output power: 6.8 dBm
Downstream output power: 14 dBm
Channel type: Interleaved
Line standard: VDSL2

Is there any room for improvement?  Can anything be done?

Thanks a lot.

Tony

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

OK thanks, can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll see how you're getting on 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Will do.   Thanks again

Tony

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi TonySlater

I'm not sure why the router is reporting this. Please can you leave the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs without rebooting so we can see if DLM increases the sync speed?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi, 

Yes the router is connected to the test socket.  The router was rebooted after this was done.

I am trying to get my head around the router telling me that the maximum line speed is much higher than the actual sync speed.  Why would that be?

Thanks

@Debbie-TalkTalk

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi TonySlater

Your sync speed is slightly below the predicted speed range for your line.

Is the router connected at the test socket? Have you rebooted the router?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi again,

Can you tell me what:

Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):  73060

means?

This has increased slightly by going to the test socket, but the actual sync speed still remains much lower at 

Downstream line rate (kbit/s):  47379

Why would the router be saying that the maximum downstream rate is 73060, but the actual rate remains down at 47379?

Thanks

@Michelle-TalkTalk

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Thanks Michelle and Karl,

Much appreciated

Tony

@Michelle-TalkTalk

@Karl-TalkTalk

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi

First, DLM is not the issue. DLM will control the profile, so if there is a line issue this would lower the profile however the current profile is set at 80mb, the highest it can go, so no issues with DLM.

I do not advise rebooting the router too much, but disconnecting the router and connecting at the test socket will allow it to negotiate the best current speed between the router and the exchange.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Am I safe to try the test socket and maybe reboot the router a few times without fear of making the system lower the speed even further?  I was told that forcing reboots made the DLM think that there was a problem and that would lower the sync rate to compensate. 

Alternatively, if I just leave things alone, could the DLM just up the speed on its own without me having to reboot the modem/router?  

What is the likely timescale for seeing an improvement in the sync speed after any change is made?

Am I OK to go ahead and test a little?

Thanks, Tony

@Michelle-TalkTalk

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi

The current sync speed is within the predicted range for the line and the DLM profile is correctly set at 80mb to allow the router to achieve the best sync speed for your line.

Testing at the test socket can help rule out any issues with the faceplate or internal wiring and will ensure the router is connecting directly to achieve the best speed that is possible. This may or may not be more than it is currently achieving.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

The router is connected to the master socket directly at the moment.  Do the line figures suggest I should be able to sync faster?  I was a bit confused by the stats saying:   

Downstream line rate (kbit/s):

Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Does this suggest I should be syncing at 69664, or is this just an estimated maximum or a set maximum that the router will support?  What is the maximum downstream rate actually telling me/us? 

When you say, try the test socket, do you mean I should remove the front plate and plug the router direct to the socket behind it?  The router location is rather difficult to access, but at a push I could get someone to do this I guess.   Does DLM adjust automatically without having to reboot the router?  I try not to reboot the router unless I need to, because I was under the impression that regular manual reboots would make the system lower the speed, thinking there was a fault.  Is this correct? 

The router is an HG633 by the way.

Thanks, Tony

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 14

Hi Tony,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 24-48hrs to see if DLM increase the sync speed any further?

Thanks

0 Likes