FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you add multiple wifi extenders?

Chris79
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 5

Hi, 

Could someone help me please? I have been running the WiFi extender kit for over a year now and wanted to add an extra extender to increase the range elsewhere. I bought a second kit in the expectation of just syncing the second extender to the original connector but haven't been successful. I've been through the support material online and there are two conflicting statements. Theres a section called 'Adding more wifi extenders' and then a comment saying 'You'll need to follow the below steps to resolve your Extender Kit connectivity issues but remember it's not possible to join multiple extender kits together' under trouble shooting. Has anyone been able to connect 2 extenders to the single connector successfully? 
Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5
I have set my house up with normal modem/router (3rd party box) this is connected to a 2nd router by cat5e and to a 3rd router by power plugs. I have differend SIDD names on each one and all Chs are split up non the same. I get all round house/garden wifi and seems to work OK
0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

See how that goes & let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Chris79
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith, 

Thanks for your feedback. I certainly understand the situation about the connector being a bottleneck and therefore avoided. Generally the wifi in the house with 1 extender is ok however since working from home, the desk my wife uses seems to be in a dead spot and when using wifi, she finds applications like Teams shows very poor connection. We temporarily moved the existing extender down to where she works and then connected a LAN cable to her laptop which solved the issue however it created another dead spot on the other side of the house where the extender was originally. The idea would be to add a second extender (or pair) to provide a LAN port by her desk. I've checked the DLink settings and i can disable the wifi on both frequencies from the second pair so as just to operate the port for LAN. I guess this may help combat the bottleneck situation. 
Would you suggest this is a better setup to look at? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

There are a few things to consider here:-

1. The more extenders you have, the more WiFi interference could be introduced & the performance will reach a point where an extra extender will make the whole WiFi slower than it was before it was without this extender. So it can be counterproductive to do this. It is impossible to say if this is worthwhile adding extra extenders without first checking the amount of WiFi interference in your local area.
  2. I too have seen supposed suggestions that you can connect multiple extenders to the one network connector unit at the router. However, I would never do this, as all it will do is introduce a bottleneck at that network connector where all extenders have to share the same 100M connection to the router. By far the best way is to use them in extender/network connector pairs, OK, this uses more LAN ports on the router & more power sockets (although the network connector does have a mains pass-through socket on it), but the bottleneck is removed.

With problem 1 above, I can always offer help to try & reduce WiFi interference, if required.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?