FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company VPN

chrisellins
Popular Poster
Message 26 of 27

My wife's company VPN was enabled through my previous provider to support home working. Moving from Vodaphone to Talktalk seems to have killed the facility. It works when I connect through a mobile network on my mobile but stops immediately I connect through the home hub. How do I overcome this problem?

CE
0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Hi chrisellins

'Can we set up a dial in where you take control of the laptop and router and establish what is kicking off?'

Sorry we can't do this.

We don't block VPN connections so I'm not sure why this isn't connecting.

Just to check, you have tested with 2 different routers? You have switched off Scam protection in My Account? You have checked HomeSafe/KidsSafe settings in My Account? You have tested wired to the router?

Once last thing I can suggest is powering down the router for a full 30 minutes (this will start a new session)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 27

Screenshot 2022-02-01 190632.jpgAs an idea, why not try your old Vodaphone router with TalkTalk login settings for the WAN. I think they use DHCP for the WAN. My company VPN works now on the Huawei wifi hub - it stopped working on the Sagemcomm Hub. My company VPN uses PPTP encryption. 

0 Likes

chrisellins
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 27

Hi Debbie, found the Homesafe settings in MyAccount and all are off. Still doesn't work. Have also tried it with firewall disabled from within the router admin and that doesn't work either. Thoughts? Can we set up a dial in where you take control of the laptop and router and establish what is kicking off? If we cannot get this to work then regretably we will need to abandon Talktalk and head back to vodaphone.

CE
0 Likes

chrisellins
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 27

Hi Debbie, how do we go about this? Is this within the security configuration within my router or within the TT universe or local exchange settings? If router than what needs switching to what?

CE
0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

Hi chrisellins

The only thing I can think of, does your company VPN require remote access?

Scam protection can be switched off in My Account. 

0 Likes

chrisellins
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 27

the VPN type is L2TP/IPsec. Fails to connect through the wireless router. Connects immediately through my mobile hotspot. Fails to connect through a direct ethernet connection.

CE
0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

This is the error message 

Picture1.png

CE
0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

OK thanks. Could you also let us know which VPN client you are using

Chris

0 Likes

chrisellins
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 27

Hi Chris, I am two hours from home but will try to log in this evening and upload screen shots and error messages when sat with my wife.

CE
0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

Hi chrisellins,

Thanks for clarifying, we don't usually experience any VPN issues with this router. What actually happens when you try to connect to the VPN, do you get an error message?

Chris

0 Likes

chrisellins
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 27

Hi , the later is correct. I tried on Saturday to recognise the model from its visual presentation with me being 300 miles from home. Today I got my wife to photograph the plate on the router and identified it correctly. It is a DG8041W-2.T5. Either way it isnt working but a hotspot does.

CE
0 Likes

Message 13 of 27

On Saturday Chrisellins confirmed the hub initially received from TalkTalk but not working with VPN is a Sagemcom 5364.

On Monday Chrisellins is saying the hub not working with VPN is a Huawei DG8041W-2.T5.

For both to fail is unexpected.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

chrisellins
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 27

Hi Debbie.

We have a DG8041W-2.T5 by Huawei. VPN works perfectly off a mobile hot spot and fails when routed through the hub.

Saturday evening the tech support team went into my account settings to remove any restrictions on internet use (parental controls etc) but this has made no difference. What do we need to do to enable this to work? We had the same issue with Vodaphone but this was fixed with a facility being enabled within their domain.

Do we need to fix something within the local router settings, central systems settings or within a local exchange?

CE
0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Hi chrisellins

Apologies for the delay.

Have we sent you a Huawei WIFI hub?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

Hi greghodgson400 

Grateful thanks for confirming and I'm hoping that the same workaround will be equally effective for member chrisellins.

Message 17 of 27

My work VPN on the Sagemcom 5364 also stopped working. Talktalk sent me their other router, the Huawei Wifi Hub and my work VPN works on that.  

Message 18 of 27

Thank you

CE

Message 19 of 27

Working from home under Government instruction isn't the same as running a business from home. In a global pandemic the TT sales team surely must assure TT have the capability to meet the needs of potential fibre customer in advance of taking the order. In this case my wife needs VPN to access secure files on a company server. This seems all very simple. If TT don't want to provide the service then that is OK. We can cancel the contract as being unfit for purpose without penalty and I can return to Vodaphone. I would prefer  not to but if needs must.

CE
0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

Hi chrisellins 

I've asked TalkTalk Support to offer you a different hub to test the VPN connectivity. They'll be in contact and respond here in their working week from Monday onwards.

Also just to let you know that TalkTalk Consumer do offer Homeworker broadband that's an additional line into the home that is provided by colleagues at TalkTalk Business.

Select here: Homeworker broadband

0 Likes