FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about engineer visit - fibre speed boost

itainthalfhotmum
Participant
Message 26 of 26

I've had talktalk fibre for over a year with no problems.... apart from the hg633 router that i replaced with a draytek because the hg633 wifi kept dropping.

I'm on faster fibre with download speeds of  22Mbps.

Last week I upgraded to faster fibre with speed boost, but there was no speed increase at all, exactly the same speed as I've always had.. almost to the bit !

I asked if the speed boost had actually been activated at which point TT opened a case with openreach.

Today I've had an email telling me that a fault has been detected and that I need an engineer to visit the house.

Considering that I've still got 22Mpbs download coming down the line, I'm wondering what possible fault could be in the house ?.

Whenever i run a line check with TT it says it cant identify the router (because I my own draytek), could that be triggering the engineer visit ?

If speed boost was active, wouldnt I see even a slight increase in the speed, which I'm not ?.

Any thoughts or comments ?

Thanks

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 12/10 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 26

hi Debbie 

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes please.

Mondays/Tuesdays am/pm are the only days when there is someone in.. unless they work saturdays in which case am/pm is fine too.

Thanks very much

Message 3 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Thanks for your reply.

The line test is still detecting a possible fault. Would you like me to arrange an engineer visit?

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

Hello Michelle

We dont actually have a test socket.

I plugged the router into the 1st socket coming into the house  and

downstream rate was 35097 upstream 10622. Left it there for a good while but that speed was worse than when plugged into the 2nd socket (which is the normal one we use), so reconnected back to the 2nd socket, speed went up to downstream 38899 and upstream 12713, which is where its at at the moment.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum,

I've re-run the line test which has detected a possible fault which would require an engineer visit to the property (if all testing has been completed) and I can also see re-connections on the line. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Message 6 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Thank you 🙂

We will also check the connection stats/speed on Monday.

Debbie

Message 7 of 26
Will do, I'll come back to you on monday.
have a great weekend

Message 8 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

We only provide one speed range for fibre, this will be the same with or without the speed boost.

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs to see if DLM starts to increase the speed again? 

Thanks

Debbie

Message 9 of 26
Is that guaranteed minimum for faster fibre or faster fibre with boost ?
When I did a wired speed test via the tv i think it came up at 32 but that was a few days ago, I wont be able to re-check until I get home tonight.
nige
0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Thank you for confirming your details.

I've checked and the predicted speed range for your line is showing between 64 and 45mb, with a guaranteed minimum speed of 36.8mb.

Your sync speed is currently 38.8mb. If you run a wired speed test what speed do you receive?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and the line is in sync at 38.8mb.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Ok... the engineer visited and there was a problem in the cabinet at the top of the road. apparently my line was also connected to someone elses !!!.. 

The speed increased to about 42mb but yesterday dropped down to 38 and now its down to 33.

Tried the "turn off for 30 mins" but its made no difference.

Are you able to tweak anything your end. We dont use the landline so quite happy to sacrifice quality on voice to get better internet.

where do I find out what my guaranteed speed is ?.. I recall seeing something on livechat when I was upgrading from faster to faster with boost, but didnt save the chat log..

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Thank you, please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Debbie

Message 14 of 26

yes, apparently I only had 24 hours to book a slot so did it last night before my time ran out !

we'll see what happens Monday.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Thank you. It appears that this fault has been raised to Openreach and an engineer visit has been arranged for 28/09/2020 AM (8am - 1pm)

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

boxbox

This is the box in the spare bedroom, wire on left goes out of the wall to the pole, wire on the right goes down through the floor boards to the socket downstairs (exactly the same socket). The downstairs socket is connected to the router.

Message 17 of 26
Test calls from both sockets have a HUGE buzz on the line !... Photos to follow..

Message 18 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Thank you. Would it be possible to post a photo of the 2 sockets you have on this thread?

If you could also make a couple of test calls on your phone (1471) to see if there is any noise on the line?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 19 of 26

Morning Debbie

No, there are 2 sockets, the router is connected to the 2nd one. I have already tried connecting to the 1st one, but speed was exactly the same.

I'll reconnect the phone for you.

Let me know if I need to do anything before I go to work (8.30)

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

Hi itainthalfhotmum

Is this the only socket you have in the property?

Would it be possible to borrow a phone just for testing purposes?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes