FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting BT610 wifi extender to talktalk router

zbrookes
Popular Poster
Message 21 of 21

I've just switched from plusnet to talktalk fibre. 

The talktalk router is fine as is the broadband at around 35mbps real speed

BUT i cannot get my BT610 wifi extender to connect. I've tried the wps. I've tried the methoed without wps. I tried to access the BT610 setup without success and it would appear that my talktalk hub cannot see the BT610 extender.

Does anyone have any idea or am i into buying a new extender? 

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 21

Hi zbrookes,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

Message 2 of 21

Thank you for your help Keith,

I tried to find another way because i am most reluctant to download anything onto my laptop. Bitter experience i'm afraid. 

Most important all sorted now.

Julian

Message 3 of 21
Thank you Gliwmaeden2,
Julian

Message 4 of 21

I was still subscribed to your thread, so I saw it anyway. I'm glad you have sorted it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 5 of 21

@zbrookes, you can include @KeithFrench by using the @ sign in any post and selecting his name, which will draw his attention back to your thread. I have probably already achieved this for you, but it is useful information for any other time. 😊

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 6 of 21

Hi Michelle,

Finally sorted it. The problem was that my extender had been synced to my previous router. I had to sync to the talktalk router.

I tried the wps. Didn't work. I had great difficulty accessing the extender because my talk talk router couldn't see it. Finally, my laptop could see the extender and by opening two chrome pages i was able to access it and tell it to sync to my talktalk router.

I would like to tell Keith but i have no idea how to do that without a message from him. How do i do that?

Julian

Message 7 of 21

Hi Michelle,

I've been trying to run Keith's suggestion. It's complicated!

BUT, my talktalk cannot see my extender either by wifi or ethernet connection. Surely this is a problem? If the router can't detect the extender then there is no way the two can connect together???

I could believe that it is an interference issue if the router could not detect over wifi but not connecting or being able to see the extender over ethernet makes me think there is something else.

It was ok with both my original BT router and my plusnet router.

Thoughts?

Julian

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi Julian,

Ok. Please let us know how you get on and if you need any assistance.

Thanks 🙂

Message 9 of 21

Morning Michelle,

Thank you for asking but not too well. I received a suggestion from Keith but i have been so busy that i have not managed to look into it carefully. It looks complicated!

Julian

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 21

Hi zbrookes,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Message 11 of 21

Hi Keith,

I was clicking on the url not on the words "My Guide"!

Working now 🙂

Looks complicated. I will study more carefully later.

Julian

Message 12 of 21

It does work, if you click on it the guide will open in your default PDF reader. Do you have a PDF reader on your device? If this does not still work, please give me a screenshot of the error that you get.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 13 of 21

Hi Keith,

Unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to do that. The url isn't interactive.

Can you send it to me on this message string?

Julian

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

You just click on the link I sent you in the PM and it will download it for you. The interference will probably be caused by the WiFi channel in use by the router.

Keith

Message 15 of 21

Hi Keith,

Really appreciate your help.

How do I cut and paste the url you sent to me? Can you send it in this email string?

If the BT610 worked with the plusnet router, why would it suffer from interference from the talktalk router?

Julian

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi @KeithFrench 

PM's now enabled.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

You do not have PMs enabled, so I can't send you this information yet.

@Debbie-TalkTalk @Karl-TalkTalk @StephenF 

Please can you enable PM's for this customer?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Hi Keith,

Thank you for getting back to me. 

According to both my mobile phone and tablet, the position where i am attempting to connect the BT610 is good. 

When i check the Talktalk router, it can see my phone and tablet but not the BT610.

Yes please, what is the next step.

I used to have it connected to the Plusnet router and it synced with that very quickly using the wps facility.

Best

Julian 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

Despite what this extender is marketed as, it is not a WiFi extender at all but a WiFi repeater.

This means that its location in respect of the WiFi signal received from the TalkTalk router is very critical. I must have a good enough quality of signal (good signal strength & not much WiFi interference). Then the repeater will probably use the same WiFi channel as the router, so if you do get it to connect, then it may cancel the router's WiFi signal out altogether, as it broadcasts out the repeated signal in all directions including back to the router.

Therefore the first thing to do is check the signal quality from the router at the location you are trying to site the repeater. I can help a lot with this if you want it.

Keith

0 Likes