FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping every afternoon and coming back up about a 1/3rd slower

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 17

Strange goings on:

On Tuesday afternoon this week (can't remember the exact time, lets say somewhere between 1:30pm - 3:30pm), the router dropped my connection about three times over a period of several minutes. The upload speed stayed rather healthy at around 7.5 Mbps, but the download speed dropped from around 31 Mbps to about 20 Mbps, increasing to 21 Mbps and then 22 Mbps with each reconnection. I didn't mess further with it as it supports home working, but later in the evening I rebooted the router and it increased again to 24 Mbps.

Yesterday it dropped, perhaps an hour later and just the once but certainly in the early afternoon period, dropping to about 19 Mbps. Later than evening I power cycled the router and the speed left back up to 30+ Mbps.

A short while ago (it is about 3:15 pm) it dropped again. Again just the once (so far). This time coming back at 18 Mbps. It is starting to get very annoying now.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi OrangeBucket

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've run a quick line test which hasn't detected any line faults.

Would you like me to send the replacement router?

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 17

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was pondering whether I would actually be any the wiser. The line has actually been behaving itself for the last few days. It has been restarted c. midnight once or twice I believe. The other day I did happen to do a line test via the website and it wanted to test my line (though my line wasn't disconnected as it claimed it would do) but didn't seem to find any issues, which didn't surprise me as I didn't have any at the time.

At about 9:50am this morning I lost both the broadband and the landline for ten minutes. I did power cycle the router and immediately after that everything came back, but that could well be pure coincidence. Also I had triggered a line test via the website which might have helped, for all I know. Just to wind me up and put ideas into my head the outage coincided with a sudden shower of rain. However there is nothing that unusual about a one off outage. It is rare but I usually think nothing of it.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi OrangeBucket

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing so this can be ruled out?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 17

It has only been tested with one router.

Given the landline went down too, I think I might need to suck and see for a little longer as that can be a sign of someone changing something.

Would the overnight drop in speed to just below 30 be a response to a perceived instability caused by the reboots?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Morning,

Ok thanks for confirming. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with 2 different routers, cables and microfilters and the sync speed is still varying then we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate this further. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 17

It is an overhead connection, one of about thirty or so going to the nearby pole. I'd guesstimate the line is about 15-20 feet away from the nearest tree at the moment.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi

All tests are clear, I've also looked at the voltage and attenuation levels across the line and they are fine.

Can you see if the line outside your home is underground or overhead.  If overhead, does the line pass near any trees etc ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 17

Just wanted to provide an update. On Monday I noticed my router was connected at a slow speed (c. 21 Mbps) and the connection time pointed to the line having dropped c. Thursday lunchtime. I was away from home that day. It was an unusually warm day.

The router was rebooted this morning (Wednesday 22nd) I believe, I think perhaps for a firmware update, and then at about 1pm-ish the line dropped again and came back up at 18 Mbps. Funnily enough I had just been outside and was aware that it was particularly sunny and warm, something I have rightly or wrongly associated with the line dropping lately. Anyway a reboot restored speed. Then at about 2:30pm-ish I lost the broadband and the landline. I checked with the test socket and with and without a new microfilter and it was completely dead. However by the time I sorted myself out a mobile hotspot it was all back. I don't know if I should consider that as good or bad sign really.

So there may, or may not, be something going on but I don't know what.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Morning,

Ok thank you for the update and please let us know if this does happen again and we can take another look.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Just to provide an update. After revealing my test socket and discovering I couldn't find where I hid my filters, I put the cable back and the resulting connection was a very healthy 33.5 / 7.5 which is about as good as it ever is for me. As the broadband was only lightly used for the rest of the day, and the landline not at all, I didn't regard that as a typical day. However the line has stayed up since Friday morning and today was a more typical day with 'office' use of the broadband and the landline also being used. So at the moment it is a case of 'nothing to see here'.

I would observe that the days when there were issues last week were also those when the media were getting over excited about the temperatures. So there is some correlation but I can't attach causation to it because it wasn't THAT warm.

Oh, and I bought a new filter for when I do need to play with the test socket.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

OK thanks, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 12 of 17

Just the master socket. I can't locate my filters at the moment to use the test socket.

There must have been a disconnect c. 3:45pm yesterday when speed increased to 21. Speed just increased to 33 when I replaced the cable after not finding my filters.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 17

Hi OrangeBucket,

Line test is clear but I can see the disconnections and current sync speed is 21.2Mbps. How many telephone sockets do you have? Is your router currently connected to your Test Socket if you have one?

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 17

OK, thanks for that, let's see what the support team advise when they pick this up. 

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 17

The test socket was next on my list after power cycling the router, but once I'd done that and the speed came back I figured using the test socket wouldn't have any diagnostic benefit. I am not aware of any issue with my voice service, which is plugged in to the master socket with the router (that is my entire internal infrastructure).

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Sorry to see this, are you aware of any issues with your voice service at all? Have you tried connecting at the test socket to rule out any internal issues?

This has been flagged to the support team for you and they will respond as soon as they can.

0 Likes