FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping out

perkinsleanne
Team Player
Message 17 of 17

My fibre broadband connection has been dropping out for the past week. It happens at various points throughout the day and is very frustrating whilst working from home. 

The modem light either turns red or flashes red/blue. Sometimes the connection rectifies itself but then drops again a minute or two later. Modem is a Huawei DG8041W-2.T5

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi,

Ok, would it be possible to re-connect the faceplate and connect the microfilter, router and phone at the main socket for 24hrs to see how the stability compares in this set up?

Thanks

0 Likes

perkinsleanne
Team Player
Message 2 of 17

@Michelle-TalkTalk only microfilters connected to the other sockets, and one landline phone to one

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 17

Whilst the faceplate normally would be fine, I have always thought that the way it fixes to the backplate with just two plastic clips, would lead to problems. What might be happening is if these two clips are not in perfect condition & correctly latched to the backplate. the faceplate will be able to move in & out from the backplate, potentially breaking the electrical connection intermittently between the two parts. Call me old fashioned but I prefer the older types held together with screws, that won't happen then.

You could also try disconnecting the wiring to the other sockets from the faceplate, so long as you make a note of which colour wires connect to which pin. Then put the faceplate back on & see if it is OK then.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 4 of 17

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. Do you have any equipment connected to the extension sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes

perkinsleanne
Team Player
Message 5 of 17

@Michelle-TalkTalk we do have two other sockets. The main socket that we are using was "upgraded" recently by an Openreach engineer through yourselves due to us not getting the required Fibre speeds. Before this upgrade we never experienced this issue. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Morning,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the stability has improved. This would usually indicate a possible issue with the faceplate or any internal wiring connected to the line. Do you have any extension sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 17

That means then that the faceplate or any internal wiring in your house to other sockets is at fault. All of this is your responsibility I am afraid.

As you have said that you have the master socket 5C, if it is the faceplate at fault, then please make sure that you only buy one that is compatible with this socket, as none of the earlier ones will fit, as the 5C is totally different to its predecessors. I am not allowed to recommend where to get a replacement from, that is your choice. However, the most obvious online seller has loads of them.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

perkinsleanne
Team Player
Message 8 of 17

@Michelle-TalkTalk the connection has been stable over the past few days whilst using the test socket

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. If the connection is still unstable following this then please let us know as the next step will be to test with a different router.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Thank you @KeithFrench 😊

Message 11 of 17

Thank you @Michelle-TalkTalk. I have connected it to the test socket now so will see if the issue continues. 

Message 12 of 17

It most certainly does have a test socket, but it is not the same as the one shown in TalkTalk's documentation. I have attached my guide to master sockets which does include the 5C.

Keith

Message 13 of 17

Hi,

This type of socket should have a test socket. I've included a Help Guide below,

Your guide to main phone sockets

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk, no it doesn't. It is a Openreach MK4 Master Socket 5C

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 17

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which has detected a possible fault towards the property. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday), but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

Keith