FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection gets slower and slower on WiFi until I restart the router

chrisrobbo
First Timer
Message 3 of 3

Hi, I am fairly certain there is a fault with my router.

When my laptop is connected to the router via WiFi the connection drops down to 5-10Mbps after a short period of time. I can resolve this by unplugging the router and restarting it and then I achieve the normal 60Mbps using the same laptop in the same location over the same Wifi connection. However, within 30 minutes the connection speed grinds down to the really slow speed of 5-10Mpbs and sometimes <5Mbps.   

I've tested another laptop in the same room and it experiences the same issues. But on a wired connection there is no drop off at all.

So I can only presume this is a Wifi issue with the router and it need replacing? Any ideas?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 3

Hi chrisrobbo

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, I can then send you a replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 2 of 3

Hi @chrisrobbo,

What make of router do you have ?

If you are only having issues with wireless devices then it is possible you are suffering from Wi-Fi interference (i.e. a neighbour having a router broadcasting on the same, or similar, channel to yours).

You could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.