FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection well below guaranteed speed (and Wi-Fi Hub Firmware)

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 46 of 46

An unexpected side effect of my opting out of the TalkTalkTV £4 thing is that I received an e-mail indicating a WiFi hub was on the way. As the 2.4GHz WiFi on my HG633 sucked beyond belief this was pleasing to see. I thought it might be a glitch but if so it was the nice sort of glitch as it arrived today. It has already given me a good laugh when it prompted me to type the WPA2 passphrase in teeny tiny boxes with the characters masked so I couldn't see what I was doing, even though once you've saved it the passphrase is displayed in full view in plaintext. So before I do anything else, may I ask if the firmware will automatically update (this may become self-evident) or if it needs a nudge, as I believe there must be a newer one to correct some of the deficiencies like the lack of IP reservations and making you click through 30+ pages of logs to see the latest entry.

Now the meat in my sandwich is that I am supposed to have a guaranteed 28Mb/s minimum speed and once upon a time I did indeed have that. Indeed on a wired connection I'd get 35Mb/s (the WiFi was relatively pathetic though). As time has passed this has crept lower and lower and now I max out somewhere around 20 to 22Mb/s and have done for a few months now. As even the 'My Connection' thingy in My Account now suggests this needs sorting, here I am.

Removing a wired in phone extension improved things very slightly for just a few hours, using a microfilter in the 'test' socket instead of the prefilter made no difference, and I can't say the phone line is noisy. I did wonder if constantly battling the router (one can't always be offline for twenty minutes) had made the line look like it was misbehaving and it just needs to start from scratch again.

I'm not really up to speed with the line stats. In fact the only one I've always felt seemed quite high was the interleaving. I remember an indignant poster on here complaining that his interleaving was about 8 or 9 as if that was disgraceful, and there I was with a figure of about 2700.

So if it could be looked at that would be great. My profile is already set up with the appropriate details.

Thanks,

Graham.

0 Likes
45 REPLIES 45

Message 1 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok, please let us know if the speed or connection does drop again.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 46

@Michelle-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Has the speed also remained consistent during this time?

Thanks

Yes, I've never actually seen the WiFi hub change speed without a corresponding restart of the line, but then I've not had it that long.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Has the speed also remained consistent during this time?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, has the line restarted since Sunday?

Thanks

No it hasn't restarted since approximately 2:50am on Sunday.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, has the line restarted since Sunday?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 46

Update: I actually had a follow up phone call from TalkTalk on Saturday. The caller seemed to think I'd spoken to someone earlier in the week but of course I hadn't. Anyway ...

Inevitably having told the caller the line was perfectly stable as far as I was concerned, I woke on Sunday to a line that had been restarted at about 3am that morning. It was now showing a max download of 37 with actual syncing of 32.2/6.9. I've been assuming these middle of the night restarts have been deliberately triggered by TalkTalk or OpenReach.

48 hours on that remains the status quo.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok thanks for keeping us updated and please let us know how the connection and speed compares over the weekend.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 46

Well the OpenReach bod has been and gone. I was rather hoping that someone in the TalkTalk network team had identified a specific issue and/or that someone at OpenReach had already done some investigation and found something, as with the line having been syncing at 29.9/6.8  for the last 32 hours all I could really do was shrug and give a history.

He did say he'd checked it earlier and it was synced at 20 but I've no idea when that might have been as I've not noticed it. Anyway he did a few tests, including using my own broadband cable this time, and everything seemed OK. He was getting about 37.4 on his kit and he agreed with the other bod's assertion that usually the domestic routers would sync faster than that.

Curiously when the router was reconnected it was syncing at 35.1/6.8, with 35.1 being both the maximum and actual download speed. Previously it has been showing a maximum speed around 37.7 but with the actual speed much lower.

Just a matter of wait and see, I guess.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 46

Just to note that my line was restarted at about 3:20am this morning and is currently synced at 29.9 down and 7 up with a 3-4db drop in noise margin.

I've no idea of the implications of this with regard to the scheduled engineer's visit tomorrow as I don't know if any other fault diagnosis has been taking place.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 46

Thanks, will do. If nothing else it has prompted me to do a bit of reorganising.

G.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket

The engineer visit has been arranged for 15/03/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket

Thanks for your reply.

I've passed your availability over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

I've included a Help Article below. Please let us know if you happy to proceed with the engineer visit and we can arrange this for you.

Engineer charges

Thanks

Oh I just hadn't come across the expression 'time related charges' before, except in the context of a punch up between TalkTalk and BT a few years back and was wondering if they were something different. I shouldn't have anything to fear from engineer charges with a brand new TalkTalk hub and a recently installed OpenReach master socket and prefilter and a single phone. I've even removed my Powerline adapters as an extra precaution.

So please go ahead.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

I've included a Help Article below. Please let us know if you happy to proceed with the engineer visit and we can arrange this for you.

Engineer charges

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

I've received an update from our Network Team to advise that we will need to arrange another engineer visit. We just need you to accept potential TRC (Time Related Charges) and provide further availability and we can arrange this for you. If you don't want to provide the availability on the Community then please send this to me via a Personal Message (PM)

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Ok, I've passed this back over to our Network Team now. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Thanks for letting me know. Would you like me to pass this drop in speed back over to our Network Team for further investigation?

Thanks

I'll say yes as it is so difficult to see what is going on from my end. The upload speed is back up to 6.8, as it was before the reset, but the download remains rather disappointing.

The logging on the WiFi hub is really odd as it shows entries for the 28th February first and then I have to scroll through to get to the 12th March. However I can see the line was dropped about midnight last night (not me) and when it came up again there was an immediate ACS closure which may have been pure coincidence.
0 Likes

Message 19 of 46

Hi OrangeBucket,

Thanks for letting me know. Would you like me to pass this drop in speed back over to our Network Team for further investigation?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 46

Sounds clear to me, and I tried it with a analogue phone just to make sure.

It is not unknown for the line to not take kindly to wet weather and it was a bit moist Saturday night through into Sunday though not significantly so in the previous day or so when the speed also dropped.

The uptime would suggest the DSL restarted around about 2am on Sunday morning which is not my doing. However the 218 pages of logs on the router only go up to 28th February so I can't see if anything has been going on.

0 Likes