FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistant Loss of Internet Connection

Marcus71
Team Player
Message 28 of 28

Over the last four to six months I have encountered loss of connection to the internet from my laptop. When I check my settings on the WiFi settings on the laptop I get (Secured, not connected). It shows laptop type and connection to Modem and internet blank. Do a Windows troubleshooting and usually comes up with (DNS Server is not Responding or not valid). I have checked connection of cable to BT box, put a new filter in, etc. The indicator light always stays white on the Modem. I will remove connection fron laptop, I then switch Modem off leave it for a period of time and switch it back on. When rebooted reconnect internet connection. This is the third time I've had to do this in the last two weeks and today 23/11/2020.

Not sure what to do next, have done loads of checks and all come back with clear results which it does when connected. Frustrated !!!

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

It has been a while since I reported the repeated loss of connection to my laptop which has continued as the communication seamed to come to an abrupt end. Not withstanding this I am still having these issues and constantly keep seeing post about the same when checking the forum. Is anyone seriously looking into this issue with these Sagemcom Modems. I have in the last fortnight had to pay out for repairs to my laptop when I lost complete access of WiFi from my device, this after another drop out and then unfortunately had to have my hard drive replaced as well, laptop completely died (not even 2 years old yet). Will be interesting to see how stable the connection will be since a failure of the fibre connection to my local area (about 40 properties) with different service providers today.

Perhaps someone from the Tech Team might have an answer and time to respond

0 Likes

Message 2 of 28
Hi Skynet_Tx
I have gone through this and currently my laptop, my other half's I pad and Iphone are on 5GHz. It does seem to affect my laptop only most of the time. As for the App have also over time tried to download it and my Windows Phone does not want to accept it, it is over six years old now.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

Hi @Marcus71,

Do you know if the device that is having the most problems is connected to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network, if you are not sure then one way to give yourself better visibility of that is to split the SSID's to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks different names, that would then mean you would see those two Wi-Fi networks separately on your devices, and so you would have full control over which one you connected to (some older devices might not support 5GHz, and so on those you would only see the 2.4GHz network).

You may then discover that it is only the devices connected to one of those two networks that have connection problems, for example if it was only the devices connected to the 2.4GHz network that had issues then this would be a good indication that your router is not using the best possible channel for the 2.4GHz network.

Leaving the router on 'auto' is trusting that it will make the best decision on picking channels, from my own experience with many different routers over the years, they don't always make the best decision !. So it may be worth experimenting with specific channels to see if it helps or not. Using the Wi-Fi analyser app that I mentioned previously would give you useful information about the best channels to pick (i.e. the ones that are used least in your local environment), you can just do it as a bit of a 'trial and error' thing, but that can be a bit of a pain as there a lot of potential channels to try, and you can need to leave the router on a channel for quite a while to get a feel from whether the connection is actually any better or not.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28
Hi Michelle, Debbie and Skynet_TX
Just an update regarding this issue with Loss of Connection and have had continuing drop outs over the last three weeks, mainly after 8 or 9 days even with having 2.4 & 5 on Auto. Seems now mainly only affecting my Laptop dropping out. This weekend the latest when had two disconnections within two hours of each one. Currently resigned to just switching Router off and on again when there is a drop out.
When connected works well. Perhaps cleaning this Router out of laptop and replacing it could cure issue ???
Regards
0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

Hi Marcus,

Great, thank you 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hi @Marcus71,

Yep, see how it goes on 'auto', but that it still allowing the router to make its own decision on which channel to use, so if it is making bad decisions you may still have issues.

The ideal thing to try (although I know you said you didn't have a phone that could run it), would be to use something like that Android app that I posted about in an earlier reply, as that will let you see what channels all of the nearby routers (i.e. your neighbours) are using. You could then specifically set your router to use a channel number that was least 'busy' to try to avoid clashes with other signals. Now that Wi-Fi optimisation has been switched off, if you did set your router to a specific channel, it should then stay on that channel.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 28
Hi Debbie
Don't worry about any delay, realise you're under a lot of pressure and I'm not a home worker.
I've changed the 5 GHz to "Auto" to see how this pans out. Will get back to you if I have any further issues
Thanks

Message 8 of 28

Hi Marcus71

I'm sorry for the delay.

I've switched off the WIFI optimisation, please can you test this again and let us know how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

Happy New Year

The strange thing about the Sagemcom router is that if Wi-Fi optimisation is switched on then it is effectively on Auto all the time, because even if you change the channel manually to a specific number, the router can just change it to another channel that it thinks might be better.

Often routers will select good channels if you let them do it automatically, but depending on the local environment, where neighbours routers are situated and how strong neighbours Wi-Fi signals are, sometimes a router can make a bad decision when selecting a channel automatically.

So if the staff here did switch off Wi-Fi optimisation for you, you would then have a choice, you could set the channel to 'Auto', this would allow the router to pick whatever channel it wanted, but that is likely to just leave you with the same issues you have now. Or you could select a specific channel number that worked best for you, the router should then stay on that channel number.

I've never had the Sagemcom router myself, so I can't comment on how good it is at choosing channels, but the Wi-Fi optimisation can cause confusion, because people expect to be able to set a channel manually and for it to stay set, but this model of router can just quietly change it to something else without you even realising !.

Message 10 of 28
Hi Skynet_TX
Happy New Year to You to
Thanks for your reply and no the Wi-Fi Optimisation has not been switched off, and thought a change to "Auto" might have given me a different channel but clearly it didn't.
Have noted tonight that there are a number of the community are suffering same issue in the last 6 to 9 months all with the same make of Modem/Router. Clearly seems to be a problem. Perhaps if there has been a software update at some time that this has caused the issues we are getting, only a thought.
Regards
0 Likes

Message 11 of 28

Hi @Marcus71,

If the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' has not been switched off yet then this will be why the router changes channel by itself. If that is still switched on then the staff here would be able to switch that off for you (you can't disable it yourself, it can only be done by the staff here), that would then ensure the router stayed on whatever channel you manually set it to.

So if you do find you are getting a more stable connection after you have changed the channel, but then the router keeps moving you back to a channel that causes problem, it would be worth asking the staff to disable this behaviour (assuming it has not been disabled already).

Message 12 of 28
Hi OCE_Debbie
Firstly Happy New Year.
Following issue on 21st dropped out again next day about same time in the evening, after rebooting checked Modem and channel had reverted back to 44 again.
Stable till a couple of hours ago and back to square one, so have now resigned to the fact this will be an ongoing issue as I do not have the confidence or expertise to start playing around with the systems. Once we get back to some sort of normality will seek some professional help if Talk Talk cannot dial in and look at the logs on the modem which seem to be endless.
Regards
0 Likes

Message 13 of 28

Hi Marcus71

Apologies for the delay.

How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28
Hi
Spoke to soon dropped out again tonight about 2215hrs 21/12/20. Have changed the 5Ghz from Channel 44 to Auto to see if I get any further than one day this time. This is what my laptop is on and Wife's I phone.
0 Likes

Message 15 of 28
Hi OCE_Debbie
So far has been stable again as at 20/12/20, hope this continues over Xmas.
Thanks
and
Hope you have a good Christmas - Keep Safe

Message 16 of 28

Hi Marcus71

Apologies for the delay.

How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 28
Hi OCE_Debbie
Taking you up on your assistance. Started again today to play up. Been stable for past 18 days but today has gone back to a loss of connection, ok till earlier this afternoon but dipping in and out till I turned router off for a few minutes. Might just have been a blip will have to see. Regards.
0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Hi Marcus71

Thanks for your reply.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28
Hi OCE_Chris
Thanks for making contact.
Well so far to date my connection has been stable but when I logged on to the laptop this evening I noticed that the Globe Icon was showing before switching to Internet Icon. This has been the sequence before I have the problem in the past, so will see how long it is before it fails.
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 20 of 28

Hi Marcus71,

How are you getting on, are you still experiencing problems?

Chris