FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent slow speed on "Superfast Fibre Broadband"

norse
Team Player
Message 11 of 11

Hi 

I have the same problem with speed dropped from 44Mbps down to 16-17Mbps and upload 12Mbps and before you say that it is the number of devices connected this is the story  I was told by a technician over the phone, let me explain to you something. I have a line capable of 46-50Mbps download and TalkTalk has guaranteed 36Mbps. I have been in touch with technical services and they sent me out a replacement router today. The replacement router I received cannot assign static IP's and as far as I am concerned is a technically inferior and probably cheaper model than the one it replaced. 
On receiving the router I attached the power plug and the ethernet cable from my laptop. I then went to 192.168.1.1/ on my browser and entered the dashboard. At this time I had not changed any of the settings from factory default and as such there was absolutely nothing connected wirelessly to the router. On looking at the dashboard it was registering a speed of 17Mbps download and 12Mbps upload. Now this was on factory default settings, completely disconnected from ant wireless devices and yet it still showed the same speeds as the previous router. Therefore, by a process of elimination I believe that what can be deduced is that the problem does not lie with the router but with the line coming into the house. 

The router and number of wireless connections have for too long been used as an excuse by TalkTalk to try and explain the fact that their service is at fault. So as a paying Super fast fibre customer I think the time has come to come clean and admit that TalkTalk are choking in the bandwidth to its Superfast Customers to cut costs and are blaming the reduction of service on everyone and everything but themselves. Get it sorted as I have 30 days to change my mind and Vodafone are guaranteeing me 56Mbps for the same price. The current router I received today has old firmware from 2017 therefore it is not the "Latest" router I was promised by your technical service. 
Router received today

Cable Modem Serial Number N7193534N009919
Hardware Version FAST5364 3.00
Software Version SG4K10001400t
GUI Version 1.152.6
System Up Time 12h31m46s
Cable Modem MAC Address 64:66:24:37:38:DC

These are the differences between the old and the new router
The one I received today is minus the following options 

Removed the option to assign a static IP address to a device
Removed the option to view DHCP leases
Removed the option to set the DHCP lease time
Removed per-device bandwidth monitoring
Removed all parental control options
Removed the tab to view the wireless environment graph
Removed WiFi scheduling
Hidden the option to restore all DHCP related changes to default
Hidden the option to set the LAN/DHCP network range
Hidden LED auto-dimming
Hidden Internet Utilities (ping, traceroute, DNS query)
Hidden TR-069 client configuration options
Hidden NAT mapping
Hidden the walled garden toggle
Locked the DNS server to "192.168.1.1" when it should be editable

P.S I am a graduate Communications & IT Engineer and as such I am fully aware of how Broadband systems work and I do know how it is possible and sometimes beneficial to tweak the gain on a communications cable by increasing or decreasing it to provide a strong stable connection. However, a 60% loss of service is an unacceptable loss of service and can only be achieved either by a misconnection at the cabinet or at the request from the provider to choke in the signal.

Norse
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi norse,

I'm sorry to read about this. 

To confirm you're the account holder can you reply to me via PM (Personal Message) with the following information: 

• Full Name
  • Home telephone number or account number
  • Are you the account holder
  • 1st and 3rd characters of your telephone telephone enquiry password if you have one

NOTE: If you don’t have a telephone password why not add one now check out Setting up your telephone password for details

If password is unknown, confirm the below:
  • Your registered email address:
  • Your registered mobile phone number:  

Note: Please do not post personal information directly in the Forums.

Thanks,

Jo

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11
Can you organise an engineers asap and I will accept the charges clause.
Norse
0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

I was on the phone yesterday and spoke to one of the technical team and they said they would send me a "super email link" to change my password. When I opened the link it took me to exactly the same login page to reset your password. I created a completely random password on notepad that I have never used before following all the guidelines about how the password should be constructed. I entered it and received a text to confirm and it was accepted and said I could now go and login. 
This I did and the same message appeared "Email or Password Not recognised. 
I tried again on a different computer with a different browser MS Edge = same
""     ""      "      "      "         iPad """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Safari =same
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Android Tablet """"""""""""""""""""""""" Opera =Same
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Samsung Phone """""""""""""""""""""""""Google Chrome = Same

So I put it to you that there has to be a fault at your end with my account as i'm running out of computers/Browsers and passwords to try?

Norse
0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi norse

The account look fine from this side, what happens when you follow the forgotten password link? 

0 Likes

norse
Team Player
Message 5 of 11

Strangely enough, since contacting you I have been locked out of my account. I cannot reset my password and have contacted live chat who were also unable to help. 

Can you check to see if there's a lock on my account please.

Norse
0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi norse,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi Ben

Thank you for that. No I will not accept any Engineer's charges as TalK TalK is fully aware of my reduced service and has been aware for the many years that i paid for 56-74mbps download speeds and got 18 or less. I have told TT on several occasions that the fault lies either at their end or with BT but they have totally ignored me as I am only a retired graduate Telecommunications Engineer so what would I know about Broadband systems? Vodafone will connect me up free if charge to a guaranteed 56mbps without any extra charges and, will even supply a new line if that is what's required, and will not charge me a penny till the minimum speed guaranteed is achieved and yet you want me to pay for repairs to a service that you should have been monitoring and have overcharged me for several years? Get real, it's your responsibility to give me a guaranteed minimum speed so just get on with it or at least have the courage to tell me you cannot do this. I shall forward my other details in a PM as requested.

Norse
0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi norse,

Sorry for the delay in resolving your speed issues.Having read through the conversation and checking your line speed, I can see that whilst the service tests are passing there is an Openreach cap in place likely as a result of an undetected fault on the line. 

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

To confirm you're the account holder can you reply to me via PM (Personal Message) with the following information: 

• Full Name
  • Home telephone number or account number
  • Are you the account holder
  • 1st and 3rd characters of your telephone password

NOTE: If you don’t have a telephone password why not add one now check out Setting up your telephone password for details

If password is unknown, confirm the below:
  • Your registered email address:
  • Your registered mobile phone number:  

Note: Please do not post personal information directly in the Forums.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi

Thank you for your reply, however, that excuse for a poor service is wearing thin now. You see, on arrival of my brand new straight out of the box replacement factory defaulted TalkTalk Super Router last week the only thing I did was connect the power cable and an Ethernet cable from my up to date  BT ASDL socket and logged into the router dashboard. AT THIS POINT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WAS CONNECTED WIRELESSLY AS I HAD NOT SET UP THE Wifi. The dashboard on the Router without any load whatsoever was registering 18Mbps down and 12 up. That is the speed that has now been consistent for 4 months. I am guaranteed a minimum of 36 down and Vodafone, guaranteed me 56 down. I had actually signed up to Vodafone when Talk talk contacted me and told me they would match the speed and treat my problem as a priority if I remained with them. They said if the speed had not improved dramatically in 30 days then I should go ahead and change. You have 3 days left to resolve this as Vodafone's offer is still available to me as I am a mobile customer.

Norse
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi norse

I've checked the connection stats and I can see re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes