FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant disconnects and speed drops

MikeC78
Team Player
Message 18 of 18

Hi, for the last few days my connection has been randomly dropping out, usually it is rock solid.

I tried contacting live chat but they were awful with the cut and paste answers and went around in circles.

There was nothing wrong with my original wiring, but regardless for the sake of time I went out and bought a new set of wires and filter. I plugged it directly in to the connection behind the face plate (I will add picture to the bottom) it worked straight away but not at full speed (usually 80/20) but it has dropped again to 60/15

I have run line checks but it says there is nothing wrong, so it's either the face plate or the router itself (the posher looking one)

I come here as live chat is usually very helpful but I've not had to use them in a long time and, things have changed shall I say.

VDSLMK4NTE5CMK22019FRONT.jpg

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi Mike

Ok no problem.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi, that would be the next logical step, I don't know what days I will be free next week yet, can I reply on monday when I know what days will be free.

Thanks, Mike

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi Mike

Would you like me to arrange an engineer visit so they can investigate the fault detected on the line tests?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi, the upstream speeds are normal now, but the download speeds have not returned to normal. The line has been connected now for just over two days, I have also had intermittent problems with the wifi with devices in the house so I don't know if it is faulty some how, I also ran a line test on the TT website and it shows a fault, but apart from the slower download speeds the line is fine.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi Mike

Thanks for confirming, the last speed test you completed, was this a wired test?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Yes it was off for nearly 2 hours while I went shopping. When I came back  and powered it back it back on, it connected at 60/15, then as above while I was up it disconnected and reconnected at 80/20 but the speed was still the same as 60/15.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi Mike

Did you do the 30 minute power down of the router?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi, the connection seems fine, I was up when the DLM reset (about 4.30am) to normal speeds (router says connected at 79999/20000)

Usual download speeds are maxed at 9.8mb/s but are currently maxing at 7.2mb/s Line is fine just the speed hasn't reverted back to normal speeds.

speedtest result for quickness

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12308766649

Thanks, Mike

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi Mike

Sorry for the delay.

I've checked the connection stats again and the line is in sync at 76.6mb but the line test is detecting a potential fault.

Openreach are requesting that we arrange an engineer visit.

What wired speeds are you receiving this morning?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 10 of 18

Hi, my DLM has reset itself to 80/20 now, But I am still only getting speeds of 60/15. Is there something that can be done or just another waiting game?

Thanks, Mike

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi MikeC78

Yes we used to be able to change profiles for ADSL connections but that is managed by DLM too now.

I will check again in 48hrs to see how the connection is and if DLM has made any changes.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

OK i'll power it down need to go out soon anyway so won't be sat in the dark! Must of been the old broadband when you could reset profiles.

thanks

Message 13 of 18

Hi MikeC78

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully the connection will continue to remain stable.

We can't reset the profile, this is managed by Openreach's DLM. It may be worth powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then leaving the router switched on without rebooting whilst DLM is monitoring/adjusting the profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Hi, and thanks for getting back, it seems to have settled down now been connected for a day and a half, could please reset my profile back to 80/20 if that's possible and see how that goes.

Thanks

Message 15 of 18

Hi MikeC78

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line.

If you have recently tested with a different router at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

72mb is the speed guaranteed speed and i've been connected. I had the exact same problem a few years ago, since it was fixed back then i've been connected for the last 3 years at 79999/19999. I also think my noise margin is somewhat high, it's been a while since I've had to deal with something like this so minds a little fuzzy on things.

Post from 3 years ago with the exact same thing:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Product-Archive/Speed-drops/td-p/2283720

router stats:

noise.jpg

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

It's helpful to let us know what the minimum guaranteed speed is supposed to be for your line, and see the graph in Speed Centre in "find out more" about your router.

Also, leave it in the test socket now for staff to test - they sometimes come on 6am, but won't be back before Monday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.