FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuing connection problems

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 28 of 28

Sorry for the long post, this is rather tricky to explain.

I've been having issues with my connection since the summer, I had 4 or 5 Openreach engineer visits to investigate (I lost count !), they all fiddled about with stuff, but nothing they did fixed the problem.

I've been putting up with the issues for a while, to try to spot some sort of a pattern with the behaviour, and I have now found a strange pattern, and a way to temporarily 'fix' it. I wondered if anyone on here could make any sense of this behaviour and suggest anything....

We have a landline phone, and when everything is working well the phone is perfectly clear, and the router stays connected perfectly well. What then seems to happen is when the phone is put down at the end of a call (not all calls, but it seems to be getting more regular) the router will drop its connection, if I then go back and pick the phone up there will be significant crackling on the line, even though it was totally fine during the phone call that has just finished. If I just put the phone down and leave it like this my router will then be quite unstable and will drop its connection regularly (even when the phone is not being used). The phone will also be crackly whenever it is used, and will usually cause my connection to drop.

I have discovered that I can make the crackling go away by connecting a landline phone directly to the phone socket (i.e. NOT using a microfilter), if I just pick the phone up and put it down a few times, and maybe make a call to 17070 or 1471 then the line will go nice and quiet again, and from that point on (after reconnecting the phone via a microfilter) the router will remain 'up' reliably until it all starts again at the end of a future phone call.

Not all phone calls ending seem to cause this to happen, but it seems to be getting worse, and a higher percentage of calls seem to trigger this issue.

When the crackling is happening, if I plug a phone into the TEST socket using a microfilter (with just the phone connected, no router) the crackling is still there, I've checked this with two different handsets, and multiple microfilters. Plugging a phone in like this via a microfilter does not appear to clear the crackling, but as soon as I plug a phone in without a microfilter (to either the TEST, or regular faceplate socket) I can make the crackling go away.

Service Centre reports no issues, and when things are working well my speeds are normal (40/10). Once I've cleared the crackling everything works perfectly until the crackling is set off again by a future phone call ending.

Anyone got a clue what could be happening here, to me this feels more like an equipment issue in the cabinet or exchange, I just can't see how a random fault on the wire or with a line joint could cause such a repeatable pattern of behaviour, and the fact I can hear the crackling from the TEST socket (when using a microfilter) convinces me the problem is not within my home.

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

Morning,

Thanks for the update and I'm really glad to hear this. Fingers crossed everything is now ok 🙂

Thanks

Message 2 of 28

Exactly as my post (15) of 3 December suggested. It's the easy fix when the lines engineers don't want to check the jointing. The customer that gets your 'faulty pair' won't be so lucky!

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 28

Hi,

Two Openreach engineers arrived on Friday afternoon, and as they could not detect any specific fault with my line they decided to switch me over to a different wire. They were able to find a different free pair that tested out well, so they have switched me over onto that different wire between the top of the telegraph pole and the street cabinet.

We don't know if this will fix it, as they were not able to prove there was a problem with the old wire, but apparently this section of wire can often be the cause of things like this due to the large number of joints on that section.

One thing I have noticed on this wire is that the connection stats reported by my router are much better, on the old wire my stats were :

Maximum Rate : 50 to 55 mbps

Noise Margin : 9 to 11 dB

Attenuation : 18 - 19 dB

The same router, on the new wire is now reporting :

Maximum Rate : 80.8 mbps

Noise Margin : 14.8 to 15.2 dB

Attenuation : 15.8 dB

So it certainly looks like my router thinks it has a better connection on this wire. As I'm only on Fibre 35 my actual sync speed is still the same (40mbps), but it is nice to see these improved router stats.

I'll monitor things over the coming days / weeks and will report back. After previous engineer visits things have tended to work fine for a few weeks, so it will be a while before I'll know if this has made a difference.

Thanks for everyone's help with this so far.

Message 4 of 28

Morning,

I'm glad to hear this and fingers crossed they manage to get to the bottom of this for you 🙂

Thanks

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 28

Thanks @Chris-TalkTalk, Openreach just called and have arranged a follow up visit for Fri AM.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hi Skynet_TX,

Engineer notes do say that further work is required, looks as though Openreach will contact you to arrange further visit. If you don't hear anything today can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check again for updates

Thanks
Chris

Message 7 of 28

Hi Skynet_TX,

Thanks for the information. I'm having a bit of trouble accessing the Openreach portal to check for an update at the moment so I'll try again later and get back to you

Chris

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 28

Hi,

Openreach engineer has been this afternoon, she was really thorough and spent ages running tests from our test socket to try to find the fault. She has agreed that there is a problem and has said that she will fill in the report for this visit and she will ask for another engineer visit to follow this up (as it was the end of the day, so she ran out of time).

Typically there was no crackling on the phone or issues with disconnections today, so she wasn't able to experience that.

She said that it was clear there was an issue when she plugged her super duper big test phone thingy into our test socket, and then called our phone number from her mobile, she could then hear what sounded like 'switching' or data clicks on her test phone when she answered the call.

So I'm not exactly clear how this follow up engineer visit will be arranged, she implied that I'd either get a call from TalkTalk or from Openreach to arrange the follow up visit.

Message 9 of 28

Fingers Crossed 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 10 of 28

Great, thanks @Karl-TalkTalk, lets hope I get a good engineer who reads notes !

0 Likes

Message 11 of 28

Hi

I've booked in Tuesday 7th PM for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 12 of 28

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk, I've replied to your PM

0 Likes

Message 13 of 28

Hi Skynet_TX

There are no appointments on the Monday, earliest is from Tuesday onwards.  I've made the booking for Monday 13th, just so the appointment is logged on the system with all my notes 🙂

Have a think about what day you can do, and let me know and I can then change the date of the booking to suit your schedule.

I'll also drop you a pm.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Feels very much like a corroded joint that could be anywhere on the metallic line. Good luck in acquiring an Openreach engineer willing to check all the line joints. If there are spare pairs Skynet_TX  might get lucky and they'll swap to a spare that isn't already faulty!

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 28

I recall a post from our esteemed friend @Gondola where they mentioned the phenomenon of temporary "self-healing" of an issue like this by taking such steps as @Skynet_TX has done, or even by just running a test. I wonder if this could be a possibility here? 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 16 of 28

Ok, please could you see if there is any engineer availability for next Monday (6th), as I'm on holiday that day. If Monday is not possible then I'd have to discuss things with my boss first before picking another date.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 28

Hi

We can add info about this when we book an engineer but cannot guarantee the engineer will read our notes, all we can do is try.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 18 of 28

@Karl-TalkTalk Thanks for checking, this problem is getting really annoying now. Pretty much every call we get now triggers the crackling to start and disconnections then start happening. I had two more disconnections in the hour or so since your post.

I've now cleared the problem in the same way by just plugging a phone directly into the master socket (not via a microfilter), and having picked it up and put it down a few times, and called things like 17070 and 1471 the line is now totally clear again, and I suspect my connection will stay up (until we get another phone call).

Before clearing the issue I tested plugging two different phones with two different microfilters (no router connected) directly into the test socket, they both sounded terrible with significant crackling. I then tried the two different phones directly into the test socket with no microfilter, initially I could hear the crackling on both phones, but then as I picked it up and put it down a few times and made a few calls the crackling clears.

Is there any way either TalkTalk or I can actually pass this information to Openreach, rather than just call out an engineer who has no prior knowledge of this very clear pattern of behaviour. I can't see much point in an engineer coming to my house who will plug in his tester (which will immediately clear the fault in the same way that me plugging in a phone does) he will then find no problem and charge me £65.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

Hi

all tests are passing, nothing showing up. Ran test on the fibre, ran a TAM and a copper line test for all the voltage levels etc, and all showing ok.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 20 of 28

Hi,

Would there be any chance someone could run a test on the line please, I've got the crackling back on the line at the moment, and my connection has just dropped, so wondered if running a test now might detect anything. I've run the Service Centre test but that still comes back as clear.

Thanks

0 Likes