FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crippled faster fibre

godfrem
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 5

I have been on the Faster Fibre, with speed boost for at least the last 18 months (and I also think the 18 months prior to that) and had been getting speeds of around 61-62Mbps routinely.  I was very happy with this and have had no cause for concern.

My existing contract expired in October (although TalkTalk did nothing to inform me of this) and starting charging a higher price from last month.

I went to online chat to try to renew my contract (at a fair price) only to be told that I could no longer have the speed boost as my line does not support it!?!?  I ran a speed test whilst on the chat which confirmed I was still receiving 61.9Mbps but still TalkTalk told be that I could no longer have the speed boost as this could only be added for lines that could cope with at least 40Mbps.  In my book 61.9 is well above 40 so I should be okay, but no, TalkTalk refuse to see that I have been getting these speeds and will not add the speed boost.

I had a call from a "CEO", allegedly, who despite not being able to remember my name and kept calling me Geoffrey (!) could remember that they could not apply the speed boost.

I gave up the will to live and renewed my contract for a further 18 months and kept speed checks throughout different times of the day.  This remained at 61(ish)Mbps for the following 3 days, but today I am now only getting 37Mbps, because I assume that the speed boost has finally gone.

Has anyone else had the same experience as this and can anyone possibly explain why TalkTalk want to degrade existing customers (I have been with TT for over 10 years!) and alienate them, when they previously had the speed they wanted and had no issues.

Oh and TT also wanted to charge me a £30 admin fee simply to renew the contract! Ha ha, no way Jose!!!

Cheers,

Matt

Matthew Godfrey
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5
Bumping this one as corresponded with TalkTalk via messenger and was told by that operator that they had run some initial tests and agreed that I should be able to get the speeds of 60Mbps down and should be able to have the speed boost, BUT they were unable to action this and that I needed to speak to customer loyalty. Operator advised he would put all this as a note on my account. I rang customer loyalty and was told that could not get that speed and they wpuld put me through to the technical dept!? They also said I could not ha dle the speed (errrr, yes I can and I have thanks!) They then said I ha e to speak to customer services, at which point I gave up and ended the call.
I also contacted via online chat and the advisor there said they would do some tests, they then advised that they would restart my router and before I could say 'no' they did so, which unsurprisingly disconnected the chat and I lost contact, utterly useless.

Now, if I HAVE been having the higher speeds AND have been happy with the service, WHY do Talk Talk keep on saying that my line can not take that speed? I live not more than 300 to 400 metres from the green box on the street so its not like I live miles away and I think the actual exchange is only around 2 miles away.

Also, my router dashboard still shows as:

My Internet Connection

Status
Connected

Current speed
Download
68.2 Mbps
Upload
15.7 Mbps

Connection up-time

Connected since 2d 05h07m51s

Clearly, this is NOT the case, as demonstrated by any speed tests I do, in any location, even right next to the router, and at any time of day.
Matthew Godfrey
0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Hi OCE_Arne,

Thanks for the reply, but this still makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I understand the fact that TT want to remive the speed boost from lines that are not able to fully utilise it as this would be charging for a service that cannot be fully provided and would be wrong. I however have been receiving speeds at almost double those that you have now crippled me with, so the line (and I) clearly previously had no issues with the boost, it worked and I was happy to pay for it.

The speeds for my line you ha e quoted are now low because there is no soeed boost applied. I would be interested to know what they were prior to TT interfering with it, I bet they were a damn site higher then!

I simply cannot inderstand why TT want to cripple the speed of a customer that was previously very happy with the service provided. It will ultimately only lead to me (and no doubt many others) leaving TalkTalk and going elsewhere. Maybe that is TT strategy and they actually want fewer customers?

I won't hold my breath for another call back as I had one on Christmas Eve from a lady that simply read from a script and said the same thing over and over with no real knowledge of what she was talking about. She also couldn't even remember my correct name at times and kept calling me Geoffrey!

My question still quite simply remains, WHY?

Matthew Godfrey
0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 5

Hi godfrem

Sorry that you are unhappy. 

Due to a change in the way we calculate you guaranteed speeds it now based on Throughput rather than total download speed, the company have taken the decision to not allow the speed boost on some lines, Unfortunately you have fallen into this category.    

Ive checked your line and the Minimum Guaranteed Peak Download Throughput Speed (mbps) is now 23mbps, and the Highest Peak Download Throughput Speed (mbps) is 37mbps. 

I can also see a callback has been arranged for 3rd Jan with our CEO office, I hope that you get the resolution you want.

Regards

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes