FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG8041W download speed slows down, requires a restart

sbutcher
Team Player
Message 18 of 18

Hi

I've been happy with this router for the last year or so, connection has been pretty solid on the fibre35 service.

However recently, the download speed has been dropping way BELOW the upload speed (which remains constant)!

I notice browsing is slow, then check with speedtest and this confirms the issue.

Upon restart of the router, everything is fine for a few more days.

I tried powering off the router for an hour, which i read somewhere on the forum once, but this hasn't resolved the recurring issue unfortunately.

Here's one example:

Screenshot_20211209_102156.png

 and after restart:

Screenshot_20211209_102932.png

And again today:

Screenshot_20220107_122059.png

 and after a restart:

Screenshot_20220107_132558.png

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi sbutcher,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple or working days

Chris

0 Likes

sbutcher
Team Player
Message 2 of 18

thanks for the reply. having also read https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Throughput-speed-problem-with-my-DG8041W/td-p/2726681 who described a very similar problem , and lack of any other ideas, i think i should try the sagemcom router please.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. As the line test is clear and the sync speed looks consistent, would you like to try the Sagemcom router first?

Thanks

0 Likes

sbutcher
Team Player
Message 4 of 18

previous router was the same as the replacement i have just been sent. had been consistently a very stable connection until the last few weeks.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hello,

Can I just confirm, was the previous router a Sagemcom or the same router as the one you have now?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

this affects wired and wireless (screenshot from my earlier post was a wired connection plugged directly to the router, with wifi disabled). also i use 5ghz wifi which is not congested. also i remedy the throughput issue by restarting DSL only.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi sbutcher,

Line check is showing that all wifi channels are congested which would explain the drop in wifi speed, but it doesn't explain the drop in wired speed. Is there no difference between wired and wireless speeds?

Chris

0 Likes

sbutcher
Team Player
Message 8 of 18

hi, its the throughput speed that drops.

it's doing it again today - i've left the router alone and haven't restarted DSL as requested for troubleshooting

tested on wired and wireless today.

sbutcher_0-1643360591923.png

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Morning,

Can I just confirm, do you know if it's the sync or throughput speed which drops? Would it be possible to post back here the next time this happens before you reboot the router so we can check the connection stats please?

Thanks

sbutcher
Team Player
Message 10 of 18

Hi

I just had to restart the DSL again this morning. The download speed returns to 35MB and stays constant for the whole day long (maybe for 1-5 days) and then drops again to either 20Mb, usually 10mb or much less. The upload speed stays constant, around 8-9mb even when the download speed is bad..

I usually discover it in the morning when i start work from home, and realise the internet is really sluggish.

The remedy each time is to restart the DSL from the DSL information page - don't need to restart the router.

I've had a new router sent and that didn't change things. I've had this line for years and haven't experienced this before now - perhaps a line quality problem? Not sure what could be causing this to degrade over a few days.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

OK thanks. Could you run some speed tests at different times of day on the My Account speed checker and let us know when you've done this

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

sbutcher
Team Player
Message 12 of 18

It happens on wifi and wired. Even after a restart yesterday, the download rate from had dropped today again (it was highly variable today, from around 1mb to 20mb). Clicking "restart DSL" resolved it as usual and i'm back to solid 35mb+ for the time being. Which also supports the idea that wired/wireless are both affected, since restarting the DSL doesn't reboot the whole router, and fixes the issue for a day or so.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Your line test is passing and router is in sync at 39.9Mbps. Do you experience the drop in speed on both devices connected to your router by Ethernet cable and wi-fi?

Chris

0 Likes

sbutcher
Team Player
Message 14 of 18

Hello

Even with the new router, i've noticed a slowdown after a few days

sbutcher_0-1642416162392.png

After a restart of the DSL , the download speeds are back up to high 35-40Mb again.

sbutcher_1-1642416250782.png

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Chris

sbutcher
Team Player
Message 16 of 18

hi debbie

sounds great, thanks.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 18

Hi sbutcher

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to see how the connection/speed compares?

Thanks

Debbie