FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 22 of 22

I understand that no one at TT can do anything about resetting DLM to cause a resync or whatever.

Is there a known method to force it to kick in at home? I recall something about disconnecting the line for 30 minutes but I'm not sure that this actually works?

I spent some time trying third-party modems and it's caused my sync to drop from 68/16 to 58/12 - the connection has been up nearly 4 days on the TT equipment but it's yet to improve:

This is before I started my testing:

TalkTalk ISP Status.PNG

And this is as it stands now:

TalkTalk ISP Status v2.PNG

The upstream looks like it's at the top of the 6th profile FTTC uses.

21 REPLIES 21

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 22

Because I haven't put up a picture for a while, here's the current sync rate / line rate. Still hopeful at this point it will self heal.. as you can see, max d/l is still miles off of the current d/l.

TT Speed 10 days.PNG

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 22

I think what's also frustrating about it is when you get stuck like this, the only person that's able to properly check it and request a reset is an OpenReach engineer. When clearly an OR engineer will not be sent out when the line is performing above the minimum guarantee just to perform a reset.

0 Likes

viewer625
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 22

My bad,  I have amended my post

Whatever profile Talk Talk uses it would be good if Talk Talk were much more transparent about it

It would also be good if the Talk Talk staff here stopped saying there is no control over DLM

While that is true Talk Talk DO control the profile for the line and if the staff were to say speed problems can be down to the profile Talk Talk use and it is policy not to change it customers would maybe not spend time rebooting routers, using test sockets, trying test routers. All those things are good diagnostic tools but will not solve a problem caused by the profile Talk Talk use that can sometimes cause a line to slow down sometimes permanently.  

It is not unknown for Talk Talk staff here to say there is no profile choice for an ISP on OR FTTC its wrong but they keep saying it. More transparency from Talk Talk would go a long way to help users.

As to why Talk Talk use standard over speed, well one can only guess until Talk Talk chose to say.

It could be a really clever way of saving bandwidth, if a line is on standard it is more likely to be slowed  than if it was on speed (think of the line I saw) so when that line was on Talk Talk it was saving bandwidth all the time to the tune of 12mb

But that is only a guess

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 22

Interesting, I read on Kitz that there's 3 profiles, speed, standard and stability. TT are known as far as it says to use the standard profile, not the stability profile.

Regardless of the profile TT are assigning, I'm still currently pinned down by the DLM to 57/12 before it broke it was seeing 64/15 - I know it doesn't sound like the difference will set the world on fire but the upload is a reasonable percentage and I do push files outwards for work.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

So Zen use the OR speed profile and Talk Talk use the slower (in some cases) OR standard profile on FTTC lines

Thats fine and is the choice Talk Talk make (if a Talk Talk customer wants the speed profile, simple move to an ISP that uses it)

Zen publish the thresholds for OR DLM action on a FTTC speed line

Why cannot Talk Talk publish the same info as Zen for a OR standard line

Or even better allow Talk Talk customers to choose at sign up speed or stability line - real customer choice.

Speed or standard does it make much of a change ?? well I have seen an ex TT line go up 12mb download speed when it was moved to an ISP who used the speed profile. That was after Talk Talk said to the customer there was nothing to be done to increase speed. and yes the line is just as stable as it was under Talk Talk control

Message 6 of 22

Hi Unreal

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Hi Debbie,

Since the line looks stable and seems stable I'm not keen to disconnect it again.

I've read elsewhere that BT DLM can impose a stability period of up to 64 days depending on what went wrong, so I'm probably just going to leave it well alone.

ISP Zen wrote:

If your line suffered a temporary problem and no issues occur again then the DLM system will act to improve the speed of the service. This would happen after 9 days of stable service (within the thresholds) if the problem only occurred once.

If the DLM system improves the line and a problem returns it would need to see an additional 8 days of stability before improving the service again. This would mean the connection would need to be stable for 17 days (within the thresholds) before the DLM system would try and improve the performance again. If the problem repeats itself the DLM system can increase the required stability period up to a maximum of 64 days.

Unreal

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

Hi Unreal

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket to see if the sync speed increases in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Hi Debbie,

It's perfectly stable and no it is not in the test socket.

Unreal

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Unreal

Apologies for this.

I have checked the connection stats and your line is showing in sync at 55.9mb and the connection appears to be stable. Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 22

Well, we're at 13 days uptime and there's been literally no attempt from the DLM to adjust the line rates, upstream is still pegged at 12000 exactly which is still indicating that it's at the top of the profile waiting for something to release it.

The interleave depth etc is now matching what it was before (i.e. it's dropped from 13 back to 5 on downstream and upstream is still 1), so I guess that's positive note to say it's seen an improvement in the connection since putting the ISP router back.

Hopefully as suggested above a full cycle is 14 days so I guess I'll update again in a couple of days.

Otherwise how is it possible to engage BT to reset it, only by the engineer visit? I recall them doing this previously.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 22

@Andy1986 wrote:

........................genius.

With a Mensa measured IQ of 152 a lot of people do recognise that fact. 

But I must obviously bow to the superior knowledge of "an IT engineer", hopefully - over and out.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22
again continuing to moderate a forum i.e working for free. sad act. again insulting my intelligence, i am an IT engineer fyi and know how the network works, you don't know anything about me so why don't you get a life and mind your own business. If i actually got real technical help from talk talk instead of a monkey with a script i wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place. I have already opened a thread of my own before commenting on this one, genius.
0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 22

@Andy1986 

I'm not moderating the forum. I am just "sharing" some knowledge as is the stated intent of the community. That's what community forums are about. But please read the forum guidelines regarding posting on other people's threads.

I think you need to demonstrate that you have even a minimal grasp of the subject matter before making posts like that ! Insulting someone's intelligence can only be done if evidence of intelligence can be demonstrated.

I see that @Debbie-TalkTalk has requested some positive response from you.

0 Likes

Unreal
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 22

HI Andy,

It can be frustrating but as above there are many factors that can cause this, both equipment and environmental.

In my current case (I believe) it's because I connected equipment that didn't play well with the DSLAM and thus my line was dynamically throttled down by DLM in an attempt to improve stability.

In the past I've also had cabling cause these types of problems, both to the master socket and beyond down the road to the cabinet. A faulty TT router (3782) etc, the HG633 (although had to move wireless on to a seperate device) for me works much more reliably.

Have you checked your statistic for noise and interleave depth?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Hi Andy1986

Please can you create a new thread, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22
first i'm not talking to you. my bandwidth has clearly been stolen as my router is connecting at a *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* rate, please do not insult my intelligence. do you work for talk talk? no so then why are you moderating this forum??? get a life. it's not about "hijacking" a thread. it's a discussion about DLM and how *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* a system it obviously is. be off
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 22

Hi Unreal

Apologies we can't reset DLM. A 30 minutes power down will start a new session.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 19 of 22

@Andy1986 

I don't think anyone "steals" bandwidth, you just get different interactions between all the different hardware, firmware etc. components and these can react differently at different times depending on circumstances.

But if you need TalkTalk to investigate this you need to start your own thread, rather than highjack @Unreal's.

0 Likes

Andy1986
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 22
i have also had my speed stolen by either BT or TT. My upload speed was a healthy 20meg now it's capped to 12 like yours. Down was always just under 70, now its 50! Something very fishy going on in my opinion.
0 Likes