FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Resolution Failures

Blakey57
Participant
Message 11 of 11

Hi,

I had my Huawei router replaced in November 2021 which resolved a speed issue.

Recently I have noticed that I have to reboot my router nearly everyday as I lose the Wi-Fi.  The message on my devices is that it could not locate an IP address. (or similar).

Looking  at the logs there are pages of DNS Resolution Failure errors.

Hardware Version

FAST5364 4.00

Software Version

SG4K100130

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Blakey57

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 11

OK.

Message 3 of 11

Hi Blakey57

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 11

As it affects both bands you either have similar levels of interference on both bands, or there could be an issue with the router. Just in case I suggest that the router is replaced first, to see if this addresses the issue.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi Blakey57 and @KeithFrench

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

Thanks

Debbie

Blakey57
Participant
Message 7 of 11

I split the signals to see which it was and both the 2.5 and the 5GHz bands do this.

How do I go requesting the Wi-Fi optimization be turned off.  It is getting irritating rebooting the router on a daily basis 😊 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 11

The 5GHz band only has half the range. If you want my help, ask TalkTalk to disable WiFi Optimisation first (unless it already is) & then I can help you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Blakey57
Participant
Message 9 of 11

Thank you for the reply.

Ironically, this wasn't a problem with my Huawei router (or any other routers that I have had).  It also seems that the 5G signal is the one that goes first.

Signal strength is good at all times.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes