FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Server error

DavidS5
Popular Poster
Message 19 of 19

I have always been happy with my Talktalk broadband speed and wifi strength, but for some unknown reason for the last week or so I keep getting an error message about DNS server connection after using the Microsoft diagnostic tool.  Everyday I have had to reboot my router which seems to cure it temporarily.   On my laptop it says that I am connected to Talktalk but that there is no internet access.  I wondered if resetting the router would help rather than rebooting.  I have the Sagecom router and have read in the forum that there had been a firmware problem with some of them and they have been replaced.  I have had my router 20months and never experienced any problems until this last week.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

OK David, that's no problem 

Chris

0 Likes

DavidS5
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 19

Hello Chris,

many thanks for your reply.  The bank website that I was unable to access yesterday morning because of the DNS error I now have a connection again.  There was obviously something wrong with the Talktalk connection at the time for me to connect on mobile data but not wifi.  It is intermittent though but unpredictable.  I see though reading the forums that this is a common problem at the moment, that the roll out was paused because of a glitch which is being sorted and updates will resume but may not be till the new year.  With that in mind I will persevere a bit longer with the Sagem but would like to keep the option of the Huawei open if the intermittency increases or the updates get delayed again.

Thanks again.

DavidS5

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Hi DavidS5

Unfortunately the latest firmware isn't available at the moment, their would be no point talking to technical department as they would be unable to update your firmware too.

Regarding another Sagemcom it would probably ship with 1400t and automatically update to 2816t after installation

(the Huawei would be sent free of charge)

Chris

0 Likes

DavidS5
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 19

Hello Chris,

many thanks for your offer of a Huawei router, I have been offered one before.  Please see my reply to Michelle on an earlier post which I have copied and pasted

'on ‎11-11-2021 12:54 PM

Message 12 of 15

Hello Michelle, thanks for your prompt reply.  Do you know how long the updates will be paused for and when they will start again.   The problem with my router is intermittent.  It has a good run and I think its cured itself or been updated but then it has hiccups again.  I would prefer to keep my Sagem router and have the firmware updated because I understand it is superior to the Huawei, but also if I decide to upgrade to Fibre 150 in the future I also understand that I will need the Sagem as Huawei is only used for Fibre 35 and 65.  It would be a waste of your money to send me a Huawei now only to need a Sagem again in the future.    Can I keep my options open for a while and I'll see how my router responds and get back to you.    Just had a thought though, could I contact the Technical team with my recurring/intermittent problem to see if they can update my router as a one off?  Thanks for your help.'

Whilst I appreciate your offer sending me the Huawei router (I assume it will be sent free of charge), the Sagem is my preferred choice.  I am trying to save Talktalk money as it seems you can send me a router valued at £110.00 in the post rather than send me a couple of updates down the line.  It may seem like good customer service but difficult to get my head round.  If you were to send me a new Sagem router (free of charge) would that come with the latest updates or do they all need these updates.   Should I try calling the Technical department first or do you think that would be a waste of time.  Would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi DavidS5,

I'm sorry, we don't have an update yet about the firmware, would you like me to arrange the send an Huawei router to test with?

Chris

DavidS5
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 19

Hello Michelle, do you have an update please as to when the roll out of firmware will commence.  I am still having issues.  Earlier today I could not get through to a bank website to make a payment, I kept getting message DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN, I rebooted my router but that didn't cure the problem. I tried on my mobile phone connected to my wifi but that received a DNS error message.  I turned off wifi on my mobile phone and used mobile data and connected with no problems at all.  This is now getting very frustrating knowing that Talktalk have firmware that can correct this problem.  Looking at the firmware available I am due two updates.  When I raised this query a few months ago I was told a firmware update was in the pipeline and I would receive it shortly, but I never received it and now I am advised it has been paused.  It's ridiculous that I have to revert to mobile data to connect to a bank website because Talktalk are keeping me waiting for a firmware update.  I would appreciate if you could escalate this for me or advise who I could contact.  Would speaking to the Technical team help or raising a complaint.  Would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Hi,

No, I understand. Unfortunately they haven't provided us with an exact date, apologies for this. I'll see if I can find out.

Thanks

0 Likes

DavidS5
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 19

Hello Michelle, thanks for your prompt reply.  Do you know how long the updates will be paused for and when they will start again.   The problem with my router is intermittent.  It has a good run and I think its cured itself or been updated but then it has hiccups again.  I would prefer to keep my Sagem router and have the firmware updated because I understand it is superior to the Huawei, but also if I decide to upgrade to Fibre 150 in the future I also understand that I will need the Sagem as Huawei is only used for Fibre 35 and 65.  It would be a waste of your money to send me a Huawei now only to need a Sagem again in the future.    Can I keep my options open for a while and I'll see how my router responds and get back to you.    Just had a thought though, could I contact the Technical team with my recurring/intermittent problem to see if they can update my router as a one off?  Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hello,

Our Products Team have currently paused the firmware roll out at the moment. Would you like us to send the Huawei Wifi Hub instead?

Thanks

0 Likes

DavidS5
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 19

Hello Karl, thanks for your update.  I am a little concerned though.  My hub is still on version 2816t but I see there are also versions 2828t and 130 mentioned on this forum.  So how come I am 2 updates behind.  Also I see that someone called Chris on the support team can update manually, please see attachment.   I do not feel confident in changing the DNS settings as per your suggestion and don't see why I should have to tweak the settings.  My router should work right, you have a solution with the new firmware yet you say I have to wait for it to update when I can see others are having it pushed through.   I would really appreciate if someone could push my firmware update through .  Many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Hi

Any firmware update is rolled out in batches based on serial numbers, so we can never tell when an individual router will b updated.

You can log into the router and manually change the DNS to use google DNS, by setting these to 8.8.8.8  &  8.8.4.4

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hello Chris,

is there any sign of the firmware upgrade yet, I am still having problems and have to reboot by router.  I am concerned that my security systems for the house may be unreliable if I am not at home when the router requires a reboot.  I have been told several times that it will be upgraded soon but nothing has happened yet.  Do I have to wait for the upgrade to happen automatically or can I download it myself, or is the upgrade actually not available yet.  Would appreciate your advise.

Many thanks

David

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Hi David,

New firmware is currently being rolled out so you shouldn't have to wait to much longer

Chris

0 Likes

DavidS5
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 19

Hi Debbie, further to our previous messages, Is there any sign of a firmware update yet please?  If not I may have to take you up on your offer of sending me a Huawei Wifi hub.  Over the last week on several occasions while I have been out I lost my broadband connection rendering my Home security systems useless as I was unable to control them from my mobile app and had to reboot the router when I got home.

David.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Hi David

Ok no problem 🙂

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

DavidS5
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 19

Hi Debbie,

Sorry for not responding to you straight away.  Many thanks for the offer of sending me a Huawei router.  Since I posted this I have only had the DNS server problem once, and then it reconnected itself before I rebooted.  I will monitor how it goes over the next couple of weeks or so.  I would be grateful if you could keep the offer open for a new router for a while in case the problem resurfaces.

Many thanks for your help

David.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 19

Hi David

Apologies for this.

We do have firmware coming soon which should resolve this issue but we don't have a date at the moment.

Would you like me to send a Huawei WIFI hub?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

This is a known issue and a firmware update is in the pipeline. 

If you would like the support team here to look into this for you it will help if you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond.