FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS name resolution failure - UNSOLVED and NO HELP

krupion
Participant
Message 18 of 18

After more than 8 years of NO PROBLEMS with Talk Talk my devices started last week to go on and off Internet and my phone showing "Connected with No Internet" I checked the router and there were "DNS name resolution failure" everytime a device lost connection.

I called Talk Talk chat and they run a line test saying all was all right. Then they said they'll send me a new router which I installed today and changed nothing. I still get devices going on and off theor WIFI connection. I did a "live line check" and the system came up with a Fault and said an Open Reach engineer will be sent to fix it. Meanwhile my ethernet connection speed has halved and devices still go on and off wifi which I suspect may have nothing to do with the line fault.

The error is "DNS name resolution failure" and has been reported in this FORUM by many in the past yet nowhere I can see a RESOLUTION, clear and effective, only polite prompts from forum admin which solved nothing.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE ?..Has Talk Talk not got technical staff able to SOLVE a technical problem clearly identified by so many ?

Can anyone from TALK TALK help please other than telling me to wait for the Open Reach engineer and / or sending me new routers ? ..and how does one update the router firmware please as it seems it cannot be done online but one needs a FILE ?

Thank you.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 1 of 18

Hi @Stevenmh,

To get help from the staff here you would need to start your own topic and explain what issues you are having. As the staff here can only help one customer per topic.

0 Likes

Stevenmh
First Timer
Message 2 of 18

Im having exactly the same problem!!!

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 18

The newest Sagemcom firmware (SG4K100130) is meant to contain the fix for the DNS issues, but this was not the version of firmware you were on yesterday, so that is why I was a bit confused. Switching back to the Huawei would be one solution, as that is not affected by this issue, but also if you were on SG4K100130 for the Sagemcom then the expectation is that the DNS issues should be fixed in that version, but as that firmware is still very new I guess we can't be 100% sure yet that it does fix the issue for all customers in all situations.

0 Likes

krupion
Participant
Message 4 of 18

Thanks. I had the Huawei hub until the gov advised against this company for national security purposes. I was then sent the sagemcom which worked fine for many years. And now I was sent another sagemcom. DNS name allocation is a pretty simple programming line,  certainly not involving an infinity of combinations.  I expect a fix to a known problem reported by many for long now. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

@krupion with respect I think you are missing an important point. The issue you have is specific to the Sagem on a particular firmware but not all users with that router on that firmware have the issue. In fact in the greater scheme of things not many do. Often the delays in firmware updates to address this kind of thing are because they are trying to optimise a firmware for a virtually infinite combination of peripheral hardware/ software combinations that are not necessarily your internal peripheral hardware/ software set ups. There is probably no deadline for a firmware resolution because of the complexity of resolving so many combinations.

In post 8 Michelle offered to send you the Huawei hub instead, which sounds pretty much like a solution to me.

Message 6 of 18

Not true.

I had an identical router until 2 days ago, the same Sagemcom model as the new one received yesterday. Same firmware on both. The old one worked FINE for many years without once having a problem. It started to have problems all of a sudden a week ago. 

The only FIX was to send me an identical model with identical firmware, what was the point of that if it is a SINGULAR PROBLEM AFFECTING ONE SPECIFIC MODEL AND FIRMWARE ?

Is there a deadline for Talk Talk to fix the defectuous firmware or we just have to wait ( counting from 2019 onwards ) ?

Thank you for advising me to complain which I will do and mention this thread that has not helped in any way.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi

Firstly, it's router singular, as this issue affects one specific firmware to one model.

This will be addressed in the next firmware update.

If you are unhappy with this, please follow our Complaint Process

If however you do wish to change providers please call our Customer Loyalty colleagues directly and they will assist with this.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

TALK TALK recognises the DNS PROBLEM and is doing NOTHING about it.

In this thread TALK TALK has recognised their routers suffer from the "DNS name resolution problem" which has been reported to them as far back as 2019. Yet apart from offering you a router replacement ( useless) and the standard reply : "and a solution will be provided within the next future firmware update" , which clearly could have happened by now,  they DO NOT offer a solution.

Such technical support is disgraceful and typical of these times when all is lies and no one has the guts to assume responsibility and make a decision. All hot air and avoidance. Very disappointed and will change provider at the earliest opportunity.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi

We have fed this back previously and a solution will be provided within the next future firmware update.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Good morning. Thank you for confirming the firmware of this brand new router. Why would I want a replacement ?..I just got this one 2 days ago. I would appreciate ( and so would many others on this forum) if you could take a little time to read my TECHNICAL QUERRY below, pass it to your technicians and post here a FIX other than just endlessly changing router boxes. Please address the problem as it was raised, thank you.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hello,

It looks like the router has been updated to the latest version of firmware. Would you like us to send a Huawei Wifi Hub instead? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 12 of 18

They should be able to pick this post up tomorrow and see the discussion we have had. I think SG4K100124 is an unusual version of firmware to be on, but I may be wrong, they will be able to check and clarify.

So you don't need to do anything more, they should just reply to this topic, hopefully tomorrow.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Thank you again.

How would staff know that they have to help me with the new firmware you mention ?...Are they aware or will be aware as a result of this post or do I have to contact them please ?

Best Regards,

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 14 of 18

If the staff here were able to force your new Sagemcom onto the very latest version of firmware, rather than the 'intermediate' version that I think you are on at the moment, then hopefully that should resolve the DNS issues anyway, as one of the main fixes in the new firmware is for the DNS problem.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 15 of 18

Hmmm, I believe you are on a slightly unusual version of firmware there, so might be best to let the staff respond to this tomorrow before trying changing settings, I'm on firmware SG4K10002816t (the one known to have the DNS issue), and the workaround works fine for me, but I think you are on a newer (but not the newest) version of firmware.

I'll post the details below anyway, but you may be best to just wait for the staff to check things tomorrow if you want to be cautious....

Possible Workaround :

At present your router will be acting as the DNS server for all of your devices, so when the DNS stops working in your router all of your devices will lose internet access. However you could configure your router so that it just tells all of your devices to use the TalkTalk DNS servers directly, therefore your devices won't use the router as a DNS server, and so shouldn’t be affected if the routers DNS stops working.

If you wanted to try this you just need to follow the instructions for the 'Wi-Fi Hub' here (ensure you go to the screen described in this article, as there are two screens in the router where you can modify DNS settings, but you must change the settings on the specific screen described in this article for this potential fix to work). If it won't let you change the settings in this screen it may be because you have set specific DNS servers in the other screen where you can modify the DNS settings, if this is the case then go back and set that other screen back to Auto, that should then allow you to edit the details on this screen.

If you have never changed these settings before you will probably find that the primary DNS server is set to 192.168.1.1 (i.e. the router itself). You could change the settings as follows (or use any other DNS service of your choice) :

Primary : 79.79.79.79
Secondary : 79.79.79.80

These are the current preferred TalkTalk DNS servers (they are mentioned at the bottom of that webpage so you know they really are genuine TalkTalk DNS servers).

IMPORTANT : Having changed the settings you would need to make your devices disconnect and reconnect to the router (you could just reboot the devices or the router). When your devices have reconnected they will be configured to use those two addresses above as their DNS servers. So from that point on the devices will use the TalkTalk DNS servers directly rather than going via the routers DNS service.

Making this change may well resolve the issues for you, but if you do ever want to 'undo' this change all you need to do is put the old values back into that screen, or you could just factory reset the router by holding in the pinhole reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds, as that will return all settings back to their initial defaults.

Message 16 of 18

Thank you very much for you reply.

I do have a brand new Sagemcom, it was sent to me last week to replace another Sagemcom for the same DNS problem ( devices dropping from wifi)  that started just out of nowhere after many years of using the same Sagemcom router.  No one knows whether the replaced router was faulty but they sent a replacement anyway.

The firmware is : SG4K100124

I do not have devices attached that talk to each other, I have phones, laptops, cameras, wifi picture frames, wifi sockets, tablets and printers, Hive, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Sky box.  Some like my mini mac, TV, Sky Box , Amazon are connected by ethernet cable the rest by wifi. Some 30 devices in all.

I would welcome the router changes that you mentioned in order to fix the DNS problem and of course I'll wait for the resolution of the possible fault by the Open Reach engineer.

Many thanks again for your prompt reply and offer to help.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Hi @krupion,

Are both routers you have used the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub, as a specific version of the firmware (SG4K10002816t) is known to have a bug that can cause these DNS resolution failures. However, if you also have a line fault that requires Openreach then it is quite possible you have two unrelated problems.

There is a new version of firmware being rolled out for the Sagemcom that fixes the DNS issues, but the rollout is happening quite slowly as a few additional issues are being investigated.

If you are comfortable with logging into the router and changing a setting then you may well be able to stop the DNS issue from happening, but it is only a good idea to try this if you have a fairly simple home setup (i.e. just devices that need to access the internet), if you have devices that need to talk to each other and rely on your router to provide local DNS for the devices to find each other, then trying this workaround is probably not appropriate, as it may stop those devices from being able to see each other.

If you did want to try changing settings on your router then let me know and I'll post the details, you can easily undo the change if necessary.

But obviously those changes are only relevant to the DNS resolution issue, the Openreach line issue will be a totally separate problem.

The staff here will also be able to help with both issues, another option to get rid of the DNS issue is to try a different make of router (that is assuming you are currently using the Sagemcom), they may be able to offer you the Huawei hub to try as a replacement, they will also be able to check on the status of the Openreach fault, they will hopefully be able to reply tomorrow.

You can't update firmware yourself, there is no file you can download, firmware can only be applied by TalkTalk updating your router remotely.