FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS name resolution failure

Silonicus
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 11

I get intermittent issues with websites not loading. The internet connection does not drop but I cannot visit websites.

In the log I see several DNS name resolution failure errors

This happens every few days and recently happened two days in a row. 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Switching off for at least 30 minutes forces the start of a new session (just rebooting doesn't), it often resolves issue so hopefully it will do in this case too 🙂

Chris

Message 2 of 11
Hi. Guess that’s ok if it is a computer but not for mobile devices. The issue affects all devices when it happens.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

I have tried switching it off in the past and a reboot does resolve it for a little while. But I will try 30 minutes. See if this longer time resolves the DNS issue. 

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 11

Hi

Hope this helps...........

:DNSFLSH
ipconfig /flushdns

:DNS_REG
ipconfig /registerdns

command.com as ADMIN and try the above, as they may work without a re-boot.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi Silonicus,

Line test is clear, you appear to have a fast and stable connection. Can you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest. If the issue continues please let us know 

Chris

Message 6 of 11

Yes I switch DNS servers to google to fix the problem. I think the switch just forces a reconnection and fixes it for the time being but it soon returns and then I switch back to auto.

0 Likes

Silonicus
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 11

I doubt a new router will resolve this. I think the issue is at Talk Talk. I have seen others who received a replacement router. And the problem persists. I guess a new router is the easiest resolution but not necessarily the right one. I have considered changing my DNS from auto to known ones such as google etc... but someone I saw had also tried this. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

This sounds like the same problem as me

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/No-Internet-DNS-not-connecting/m-p/2623533#M2880...

I've just tried a replacement router but the same problem the next day. Starting to wonder if it could be something I have connected but I don't see how I do have about 13 devices connected. I'd like to try a third-party router to narrow down the issue to the router but don't want the expense.

So I'll be interested to hear if you find a solution.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Yes. Both. I plugged in my laptop Ethernet cable to test. Not sure why WiFi would make a difference as it is DNS resolution. I can still  png IP addresses. Just cannot resolve them to do an names.

I have a reasonable IT competence so did try a few things 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi Silonicus,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the router also has the latest version of firmware. Can I just confirm, does this happen when connected wired and wireless?

Thanks