FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL speed has dropped by a few Mbps

blokexx
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 9

My fibre broadband has been running Ok for nearly a year (post-install) with downlink speed of ~30Mbps and uplink of ~5Mbps. Last couple of days I've noticed a lot of buffering buffering on Netflix, iPlayer etc when kids/wife are on ipads watching videos. I took a look and downlink now showing as:

Down Speed 24,998 (Kbps) SNR Downstream 10 (dB) - the uplink is still ~5Mbps
Whilst the downlink reduction isn't huge, when the whole family is using broadband its having an effect. Ookla speed test on a wired connection shows 22.2Mbps downlink which is consistent with 25Mbps broadband PHY rate.
I've run the troubleshooting tests (which all passed), rebooted my Draytek Vigor router etc. ,but still the same lower downlink speed. It's still within the guaranteed speed of 17-30Mbps or so, but just wondering why the downlink speed has degraded?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

blokexx
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 9

Ah, thx for the clarification Gondola - that makes sense. I forgot that there is an extension cable that runs to the alarm dialler, so that will be the pair visible on the wall plate. As you say the incoming line will be on the back of the faceplate and not visible in my pictures.

Glad to have it confirmed that the connections of the faceplate are filtered.

I know the Eng has the alarm/broadband cables in correct location because when I remove the faceplate I lose broadband 😉

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hi @blokexx 

Just stepping up to advise on the labelling of the images. The incoming telephone line should be wired to the back of the wall plate to B and A connectors. You'll not normally see or need access to those connections but they are wired to the Test socket that the faceplate plugs into.

The blue and white pair wired to the front of the wall plate are for 'phone extension sockets.

The blue and white pair wired to the removable faceplate are for your router extension socket. And yes the 'phone service will be filtered out of that connection so you'll not be able to use the router extension socket for a 'phone but neither will you need a microfilter.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hopefully updated diagram makes it clearer 😉

The eng installed a new model NTE5C MK4 master box.

blokexx_0-1582552367346.png

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Hi blokexx

Do you connect the router/filter at the test socket port? (shown in the middle of the photo in between the 2 screws)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Capture.JPG

Attached is a picture of the new master box. I'm assuming that the 2 wires on the left are the main line in as they are really short (remember the OpenZone guy mentioning this) and the 2 connected to the faceplate is the cable going into my study.

Message 6 of 9

Hi blokexx

Is the router connected at the face plate or at the test socket with the face plate removed?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

Hi Debbie - the router is hard-wired to the master socket, as in cable runs direct from back of master socket to RJ-11 socket in study 5M away where the router connects into it. The master socket was changed maybe 3 or 4 months ago by OpenZone Engineer and internal cabling checked when I had issue with the connection dropping.

I note my Draytek Vigor shows the Attainable Rate as 30987Kbps vs Actual Rate 24998Kbps.

The downstream SNR Margin is 10dB and the Attenuation is 28dB. Ref the attenuation I read that would suggest a cable run of ~1.8 - 2Km although I'm ~1.2Km from the exchange and 900M from the street cab (for some reason according to the Openreach engineer my cable goes into a street cab 2 further on than my closest ones!).

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 9

Hi blokexx

Apologies for this.

The line tests have not detected any faults and I can see that your line is in sync at 23.8mb.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes