FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily loss of fibre connection

Kev81
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 8

Hi, I have a FTTC connection and for several months now I’ve noticed that my router loses connection to the internet at around the same time every night (10:05pm). In the router logs, I can see the message:

The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36

I’ve double checked all of the router settings and my VLAN id is definitely set to 101. I have completely factory reset the router, which made no difference. I also tried a different router and the problem still persisted. I’ve changed the micro filter and checked all connections carefully. I can’t see any obvious reason why the connection would drop (just to clarify, it’s not a WIFI drop, it’s an actual loss of ‘sync’). The router loses connection, the light on the front flashes, while the router re-syncs, then I’m able to access the internet etc.

My FTTC connection used to be solid, with no issues. I’d normally stay connected for weeks. I recently extended my contract and that’s coincidentally when the issue started.

I don’t necessarily mind losing connection once a day (it’s a pain when I’m streaming music or a movie etc.). It is bugging me though because I know it shouldn’t be happening and I’m interested to know why. Any thoughts…?

Thanks,

Kev81

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Kev81
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 8

Hi, over the past week, I've been carrying out some tests of my own. I connected the router to the test socket & my connection was stable, with no problems. I have a telephone extension connected to the master socket & decided to test whether this could be the root of the problem. I basically re wired the extension & tested the internet connection over a couple of days. The connection started to drop again. I've now completely disconnected the extension & the internet connection is now stable. I can only assume that over time the internal wiring of the extension has degraded, causing the issue. I'm posting this because maybe it'll help someone else troubleshoot their connection, if they're having a similar issue.

Thanks for your help,

Kev

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi Kev

Thanks for confirming this. Sometimes it can be switched on in error.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line.

Is the router currently at the test socket?

If the connection is still dropping with a different router at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Kev81
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 8

Hi Debbie, like I said Homesafe is OFF. I even tried turning it on and then back off again to make sure.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi Kev

Thanks for your reply.

Have you checked to make sure the HomeSafe/Kidsafe hasn't been activated in error, this can sometimes happen.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Hi Debbie, HomeSafe/KidsSafe are off, I've never wanted to use them. Over a number of weeks (when I get time), I've looked at everything I can think of at my end. There is nothing on a timer, or set to switch on/off. I looked at the router log and it lost sync at 10:07pm 22/6. Like I said, it does this at around the same time each night. I'm baffled...

Thanks

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 8

Hi Kev81

Can I just check, have you enabled HomeSafe/KidsSafe in My Acccount?

0 Likes