FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead end with tech support line

MountainMan101
Participant
Message 12 of 12

Any suggestions on where to go next.

Started getting frequent dropping of connection from Router to WAN. Confirmed by logging into router (ethernet not wifi). Router plugged into master socket (modern master with filtering built in). TT ran a line test and somehow diagnosed a 'wifi problem'. Not sure how, I've repeatedly told them I connect by CAT5 for my laptop.

Tonight it's gone from a once every few days to 4 times in last hour. Light goes orange, take 1-2 minutes to come back.

I have 1 month left in contract, so it's looking simpler to switch and then I get a new router and maybe different customer service.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi MountainMan101

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 12

The OCE will organise a replacement for you.

Message 3 of 12

Has a replacement been ordered or do I need to phone up?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

I don't have a spare router - I have the one you provided when I switched from BT 4 years ago.

You can send a replacement and I'll try that for a week, but first random disconnection and I'd hope you get someone to look at the line itself.

One thing that surprises me is that in 2015 OpenReach added Fibre to my area. I was with BT and they put me on their level 1 option and I got the top end of speed (around 35). After a year they offered to out me on 65 and I got 45. When I swapped to TT I got put on 35 and get 22-25. Why the speed difference for the same fibre/copper pathway? Is the lower speed indicative of some instability vs BT's hardware in same exchange?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 12

Hello,

Thanks for trying this. Have you ever tested with a different router? If not then we can send a different router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Message 6 of 12

OK, if you haven't tried a different router that will probably be the next step, wait for further advice from the support team. 

Message 7 of 12

I tried the phone line without the router plugged in both directly in the test port, through a microfilter and through the filtered faceplate using a wired phone. All clear no background. I then tested the last two with router plugged in. Also clear.

I'm struggling to see how frequent but not regular dropping of connection by the router is anything other than Open Reach (source to the master socket) or TT (router in the master socket) problem now. I've done everything to identify a quick fix (loose cable, bad filter, WiFi signal).

Help appreciated as two of us trying to work from home.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

OK, one more thing worth trying: connect just the phone to the test socket without microfilter, or router; dial 0 to clear the tone and listen out for any noise before the automated message kicks in. It should be completely quiet. If you can do that and advise this will help. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

The router is already connected to the test socket.

When I got problems first thing I did was check devices (WiFi). Having confirmed the issue with ethernet not wifi, I moved the router to the test socket. The house has only 1 socket, installed with a new cable to the house in 2014. It's the kind with integrated filter.

I connected to the test socket last week and continued to get problems. I then tried to report to TT and was told that issues were all with WiFi. Clearly not true as I was connected by ethernet cable.

So all the results you have on poor connection are from the router on the test socket. Fault has to be on the line or the router/modem (talk talk own model).

How can I get this fixed? Thanks for any assistance.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 12

Hi MountainMan101,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which has detected a possible fault towards the property and I can see that the sync speed is varying and the connection also looks unstable. Does your main socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket so we can re-run the line test again please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi @MountainMan101,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

As your master socket will have a test socket you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.