FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decline In Broadband Speed.

idj20
Conversation Starter
Message 70 of 70

To Whom It May Concern.

After having enjoyed a healthy 45 mbs to 49 mbs speeds for a good three years, I've noticed it has declined to a rather underwhelming 32 to 35 mbs in the past month. I got in touch with one of your assistants using Live Chat and she noticed I was on a legacy broadband plan and put me on a Fibre 65 plan in the hope of resolving things, but I'm still seeing no change in speeds (in fact, even worse at 26 to 31 mbs).
  I use a PC connected to a brand new router (bought in the hope that would solve the issue, it didn't) via an ethernet cable and the router is connected to a recently installed BT fibre socket using the shortest possible modem cable (both cables also brand new) so it is all physical and not wireless.
  I will mention that I did experience a total line failure in January '22 (6 months ago) where both broadband and phone stopped working, and to Talk Talk's credit, they have sent out an Openreach engineer to fix what was a broken connection at the top of a telegraph pole two days later. Since then, my internet hasn't been fully "right" with it going off in a thunderstorm (never used to do that) and of course, that gradual decline in internet speeds after a healthy start.

I hope that by typing this long winded message, we might get to the bottom of things.

Regards Ian D Johnstone. 

IDJ
0 Likes
69 REPLIES 69

Message 1 of 70

Morning,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the connection has remained consistent 🙂 I'm just sending you a short survey via a PM.

Thanks

0 Likes

idj20
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 70

Just letting you know that my internet has been holding nice and steady with a healthy solid 47 mbs with no more interruptions for a fortnight, even when we had a short thunderstorm last week, and it only took me 10 minutes to download a whole 4GB of update to one of my Xbox games.
  I've been singing your praises on Facebook where other ISPs doesn't seem to provide just as good service. I was impressed with your prompt attention and I was starting to feel sorry for the Openreach technicians trying to trace down the problem! They must have thought I was like a male version of Karen!
  Here's hoping this will tide me over until when inevitably Full Fibre will take over but I think that could be a while away.

Best Regards Ian D Johnstone.

IDJ
0 Likes

Message 3 of 70

Hi idj20

Thanks for your reply.

If you do experience any further issues with the BB connection then please let us know.

Have a lovely day 🙂

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 70

It's fine, Debbie, I can still hear audio on what is an 80 years old phone line system and the internet is working well so will leave it at this, thank you. 😀 It'll all be replaced by full fibre before long anyway and I can get hold of an internet phone for voice calls.

IDJ

Message 5 of 70

Hi idj20

I'm sorry to hear this. Can you still hear the noise on the line at the moment?

0 Likes

idj20
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 70

Hello. Me yet again.

Another Openreach van has turned up at my street this afternoon,  I have spoken to the engineer and he said there is still a fault in the system but I've not reported it since we last messaged in here. My internet did keep cutting off and on for an hour on Saturday but was fine yesterday and so far today (it's only just come back on after being offline for an hour when the engineer tried to do remedy work in a cabinet). Currently I'm still getting good internet speeds at 47 mb and at least I can use the phone even if the line is still a bit hissy.
  Anyway, he's just been to my house and said that hopefully he has fixed the issue that kept flagging up the fault message. 

IDJ
0 Likes

Message 7 of 70

Hi

Now that Openreach have done there bit, DLM may also change the profile over the weekend to balance the speeds for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 8 of 70

Openreach man has been and gone. Has been in my house and then outside, hopefully it is all fixed now. I'm getting good speeds at 50 mbs download. Upload a bit slow at 6 mbs but I only post the occasional photo on Facebook so it doesn't matter and the whole thing will be replaced by full fibre in a few years time anyway.

IDJ
0 Likes

Message 9 of 70
0 Likes

Message 10 of 70

Hello Michelle. As always, thanks for the update. Looks like being a lovely day for checking phone lines. 😆  

IDJ
0 Likes

Message 11 of 70

Hello,

I've re-checked and it looks like Openreach are investigating the fault today so we will continue to monitor this fault.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 70

Morning,

Thanks for confirming and we will keep checking for additional updates from Openreach.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 70

Hello Debbie. Sorry for being slow to reply, I've not seen an Openreach van today but I haven't looked out the window much.

Oh, by the way, my internet kept cutting off every five minutes for an hour earlier on this afternoon but seems to have settled down now. It was absolutely fine all day yesterday and at least I'm still getting fast broadband speeds 😀 I thought it might have been my phone causing it but it hadn't rang or I've used it for days (I'm not much of a phone user as I am deaf).

Best regards Ian. 

IDJ
0 Likes

Message 14 of 70

Hi idj20

There are no additional updates from Openreach yet.

Can you still see Openreach working in the road?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 70

Hi idj20

Openreach have updated the fault to advise that the line engineer is scheduled to investigate this fault again today 07/07.

Thanks

Message 16 of 70

OK, that sounds promising 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 70

That said, there is an Openreach van on my street with an open manhole cover right now, so someone is working on it. 

IDJ
0 Likes

Message 18 of 70

OK, glad to hear that there's been some improvement

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 70

Hello Debbie, things seems to be running well at my end so far today (decent speeds and no cut offs) but I will await further updates. Thank you once again for keeping us informed. 

IDJ
0 Likes

Message 20 of 70

Hi idj20

I've checked and this fault is still with Openreach, no updates have been provided at the moment.

I will check this again later this afternoon for additional updates.

Thanks

0 Likes