FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay connecting to new router via ethernet

richc72
Conversation Starter
Message 39 of 39

My laptop is connected to my fibre broadband router using an ethernet cable and a USB-C to ethernet adaptor (QacQoc). Previously when I opened my laptop it connected immediately to the internet.

However, a few months ago we changed from our old HG633 router to the new DG8041W router and since then, when I open up my laptop, it always takes at least 15 seconds to connect to the router / internet.

There are two other computers connected to the router with ethernet cables, and these connect immediately to the router. This suggests it may be to do with my USB-C to ethernet adaptor.

Not the most urgent problem in the world, I know, but it is frustrating. Any ideas?

0 Likes
38 REPLIES 38

richc72
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 39

Thank you to both of you for your input. It looks like downgrading to Fibre 35 would only save a couple of quid a month at the most. I've discussed it with the bill payer and they're happy to stay on our current contract rather than wrangle with TalkTalk about changing our plan again and potentially upsetting something which is working fine at the moment. So that's all for now. Thanks.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 39

@Gliwmaeden2 Yeah, me too, I figured that "discuss your options" with the loyalty team was sufficient advice. Any other bridges can be crossed if and when reached, no point in mentioning obstacles if they haven't arisen.  🙂

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 3 of 39

Yes, you'll see that I picked up on that earlier in the thread. We don't know whether or not the customer is in the cooling off period, @ferguson, and it is not unheard of for those £30 charges to be applied in error.

Just trying to help the customer. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 39

@Gliwmaeden2 "recently upgraded" suggests still within cooling off period. The support team have already advised the position regarding performance. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 5 of 39

Make sure that they understand that the current package is not suitable for your line - otherwise they will try to add a charge for changing mid-contract, @richc72.

Check through this list of one-off charges:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-pricing/ta-p/2212258

It's Talktalk's fault, but keep an eye on the billing nevertheless. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 39

What was the price difference when you upgraded? You can contact the customer loyalty team to discuss your options by calling 0345 172 0046, or try Live chat here

0 Likes

Message 7 of 39

Hi Karl. Thanks for the information, that's useful to know.

Would it therefore save us money to go on to Fibre 35 instead? I which case, how do we do that? 'Offers and Upgrades' in my account shows no options now. Do I need to ring TalkTalk or is it something you can do from your end?

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 39

HI

You are on fibre 65 however this is of no benefit to you.

Your line is in sync at 37nb, with the estimated speed of your line showing as 28-31mb, so realistically your speed will not increase further.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 9 of 39

No. We simply went to 'Offers and Upgrades' in our TalkTalk Account and there was the choice between Fibre 35 and Fibre 65. We selected Fibre 65 and entered the required details and signed up for 18 months. The webpage said that we would hear from TalkTalk within a few days. However, we have heard nothing. Our TalkTalk Account now says 'Fibre 65' but apart from that there is no difference.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 39

Morning,

Can I just confirm, were you provided with a predicted speed range, including a guaranteed minimum, prior to the upgrade?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 39

I'll re-escalate this thread for you, @richc72, so staff can assess the suitability of the package for your line. 

It's worth checking what Service Centre says your minimum guaranteed speed is and recent download speeds  etc. Go via the main service dashboard at the top of "help with your service". Run a broadband speed check in there and see the graphs that are displayed with the results.

0 Likes

richc72
Conversation Starter
Message 12 of 39

Thanks for the reply, that's interesting.

We were previously on Faster Fibre without speed boost, getting a download speed of about 35 Mbps. So going to Fibre 65 was an 'upgrade'.

I realise that the physical characteristics of our broadband haven't changed, still fibre to the cabinet and copper wire from there to the house. I couldn't find any information about how you can get two different broadband speeds from the one kind of connection, i.e. the difference between Fibre 35 and 65.

So, going on what I have just mentioned above, would you still say that we shouldn't see an improvement to broadband speed?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 13 of 39

If you previously had Faster Fibre with the speedboost, you are now on the same service, rebranded as Fibre65. 

If you were simply on Faster Fibre, no speed boost, the equivalent would now be Fibre35,  @richc72.

If you didn't get close to 40Mbps download with the old Faster Fibre, there wouldn't likely be a benefit from your recent change to Fibre65. 

You are still on a copper line to your house - just fibre to the cabinet. 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 39

Okay, I've gone back to using the Huawei router for the time being.

We recently upgraded our account from 'Faster Fibre' to 'Fibre 65'. Although our account now says Fibre 65, we have not heard anything from TalkTalk about the change and noticed no difference to our internet connection. I was maybe expecting to see some change or increase in the broadband speed. Are we likely to see any change, or is it just the same service under a different name?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Richard.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 39

Afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately the firmware rollout is still paused at the moment while our Products Team complete further testing. The only option we have at the moment is to try/use the Huawei Wifi Hub.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 39

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately my problems with the Sagemcom router are still present. After doing a factory reset, the router was working fine. But then after a day or two it regressed again. The download speed and ping are both worse and the DHCP server of the router isn't working properly. What I mean by this is that when connecting a new device to the router using automatic settings, the device will say 'Connected' but no internet. If I connect by manually specifying the IP address etc. then it connects properly.

Is it worth trying the new version of the software?

By the way, is it ok to carry on using this thread to deal with my router problems, or would you like me to start a new one?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 39

Hello,

Ok thanks for the update and hopefully the speed will improve over the next few days if the connection remains stable. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 39

The main issue with the Sagemcom router was that the DHCP server didn't seem to be working properly, and I could only connect to the internet on devices using a static IP address. However, since doing the factory reset on the router today I have retested this on my devices and it seems to be working properly now, so that seems to be fixed.

The only other issue is that the download speed is not quite as high as the Huawei router. Since the factory reset it has slightly improved, so I could keep an eye on that over the next week or so and see if it improves further.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 39

Hello,

Thank you. I've now been able to connect to the router and I can see that this has the recent version of firmware. There is a newer version however the team have paused the rollout for now. Can I just confirm, what specific issues are you experiencing with the Sagemcom router at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 39

Hi Michelle.   Okay, I've done a factory reset on the router so you can try to connect to the router again.

0 Likes