FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices Wifi connection dropping

AdamMori
First Timer
Message 17 of 17

I have been having a problem for the last few months with the devices internet connection dropping. It is usually only 1-2 devices but can be all internet connections and it forces me to reset the router to fix it. The device still shows as connected to wifi, it just stops working. Sometimes there is an error about DLS. Any advice to fix this would be appreciated.

Adam Mori
0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi AdamMori

We need the landline number so we can locate the line details.

I've ordered you a different make and model of router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

I think I have now done this - not sure why it was needed, phone isn't even plugged in.

Almost a month with no solution so far.

Adam Mori
0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Adam

Please can you also add your TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Debbie - all done.

Adam Mori

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 17

Hi AdamMori

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi @star8shine7 @J0hn15 

Please stop posting on this thread, it has nothing to do with you and all you are doing is getting in the way of the OP who created this report, getting a resolution.

If you want help, you cannot use someone else's thread.

To get help, you must start your own thread. To create your own thread, go to the main page for the board in question & click the "Start a topic" button.

TalkTalk insists on one thread per problem per customer. Please note, TalkTalk makes the rules, not me.

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17
I know, I'm waiting for the manager to call me back right now. They promised today by 3. I've just called them, they apparently "can't transfer me to the manager, the manager has to call me back" They've just promised the manager would call me back by 6. I'm still waiting.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 17
glad its not just me then just great customer services don't all business record phone calls for training and monitoring purposes?
0 Likes

Message 9 of 17
They hung up on the phone to me yesterday too. We called them back for them to tell us the problem was on our end.
0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

so if this is a common fault and people are having issues surely TT should be working on this and not hanging up on the phones to customers? like they did to me so if im correct TT are breaching there contract as they are not supplying goods described in the contract?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17
Hi @KeithFrench, I do currently have a problem. I've yet to have a resolution.

This is a known fault with TalkTalk SageMcom routers. Just looking at your activity, you also know this is a problem as many of your 'resolutions' are resolved by a new router. As is every post that I've seen on here over the past few days.

By having this 'complaints' forum open to the public it is easy to see that this is a wide spread problem with the SageMcom routers that TalkTalk has and that they have software, on by default, that makes these connections worse. This is not OK and as such my comment is valid and accurate.

The problem is not to do with the WiFi it is to do with the DHCP leasing and not correctly re-establishing the address correctly. (If you copy and amend openWRT, you can also have the same bugs in that version)

WiFi congestion can be bad, but a solution is to not have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network names the same as this causes even more DHCP errors when the router incorrectly hands off from one network to the next. It would be good if TalkTalk enabled different SSID's by default, but they don't. Also any changes you suggest will be changed automatically when the SageMcom router upgrades as TalkTalk seems to restore these routers to factory settings. When they push updates.

This forum is full of public complaints and the people with resolutions are members of the public who are not employed by TalkTalk. This is appalling customer service. With no quality control: Take for example your pinned post at the top stating that "iOS warning about insecure networks is not that big of a deal" it might read easy but the quality control should be a lot higher. This directly goes against peoples best interests. If it wasn't that big of a deal, the richest company in the world wouldn't highlight it by building it into their operating system.

As for forums that aren't all complaints. YouTube comments, LinusTechTips and literally any other forum on the internet that isn't solely used to funnel customer complaints away from the "qualified and trained team" to the Wild West of advice from "blokes down the street".
0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi @star8shine7 

Do you have a current problem, if so, do you have a thread open for it, then someone might be able to help you. 

I must beg to differ with your frustrations that "this is apparently a known fault with TalkTalk routers."

It is a known problem with the popularity of broadband & most 2.4GHz bands are getting totally unusable, due to congestion from other networks in the local area in question. Any make of router does not perform well in this band, where it is so oversubscribed. This is something that I do try to resolve wherever possible for any customer.

I do agree with you that the forum is full of complaints. I have yet to see a forum like this be full of people with no problems whatsoever. Not many people can be bothered to create a thread to say they have no problems. I think that you will find that for each complaint there are far more people who do not have an issue.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

star8shine7
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 17
This is apparently a known fault with TalkTalk routers. The "service" that they offer seems to be to send you a cheaper router that does not work with your only option to create a separate account on this forum to ask for help. There response will be to ask you to do lots of checks before telling you that there is a better router (that supposedly isn't broken out of the box), made by Huawei. This entire forum is full of more than 116,000 complaints just like yours and mine.
0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

In that case, I think the problem is WiFi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

Message 15 of 17

Sorry typo! DNS

Adam Mori
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Do you have a screenshot of this DLS error, I am not sure what that is?

Keith

0 Likes