FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices found on my Wi-Fi

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 5

Hi All, Maybe this has been discussed before but running a couple of searches came up with nothing so here goes.....

I have recently had to re-installed a new copy of Avast free Anti-Virus. Once installed I updated and then ran through the various tools and scans and all was fine until I ran the "Wi-Fi Inspector Scan". I got a couple of strange notifications and I could do with some clarification.

The first set of info was for my HP laptop - that was all fine and correctly identified it regarding make; model; screen size etc. Then we get to the strange stuff

1. The scan told me that the network  connected was called "Ian" -  but I have never named anything as such. Is this a random thing or does it indicate my Wi-Fi could be hacked?  ( I ran a speedtest.net check and that gave that same IP address as shown by the Avast scan.)

2. It detailed my router as Broadcom (X1) operating on the Linux system. I have the SageCom Super router - is this the same thing but with different terminology?

3.  A 3rd device was listed as a "generic computer" manufactured by Mega Well Limited. I haven't a clue about this one, but again, does this indicate my Wi-Fi is compromised?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 5

@KeithFrench 

If the Avast notification had used uppercase (LAN) I would have, sadly they had it in lowercase (lan)

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 5

Sorry, I guessed that you would have known what LAN stood for.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 3 of 5

@KeithFrench 

Doh! (and insert "slap forehead emoji"). So here's me reading lan as in a boys name but it's going to be lan as in "Local Are Network"  - far more logical.

And from what you say it sounds like the scan is picking up my equipment so no worries about Wi-Fi being hacked

Many thanks for the info.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

We can't really give support on 3rd party antivirus suites & some of their scanning tools. However, I will give you some pointers.

1. Is the laptop connected via an Ethernet cable as this might be a name previously allocated to this?
  2. With the Sagemcom, this scanning utility is probably looking at the routers chipset.
  3. Mega Wall is probably the manufacturer of the network adapter, within the PC. Each network adapter (Ethernet or Wi-Fi has a MAC address). The first half of this address uniquely identifies the manufacturer of the card.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?