FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between download speed and wi-fi speed.

Trenchn1
Team Player
Message 16 of 16

Hi,

I am getting good download speeds at my PC. Around 60mbps. My wi-fi speed though, with the latest Talk talk router is usually around 15mbps. Is this normal/reasonable or is it worth looking at a mesh system or something similar.

The 15mbps is with my device right next to the router, if I move further away, it drops to way below 10.

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

Nick

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 16

Hi Trenchn1

Would you like me to send a Huawei WIFI hub for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 16

OK. So follow the instructions here.  And when you get to to the wireless settings for the 2.4GHz band change them so that the channel width is 20Mhz only. Then try channels 1, 6 and 11 respectively and see how you get on. 

0 Likes

Trenchn1
Team Player
Message 3 of 16

HG635 Super Router

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 16

Which router do you have?

0 Likes

Trenchn1
Team Player
Message 5 of 16

These are the instrutions from your link.

1. Select Home Network from the menu bar at the top.   There is no home network or a menu bar at the top.
0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi

When you select a wifi channel, you will usually have the option to select a channel between 1 - 13.

Generally 1, 6 or 11 are said to give the best performance, but that can also depend on the channels in use around you.  Try a channel number and test and see if there is any noticeable improvement in performance.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

2.4gig showing channel 10, 5.0gig showing channel 40

0 Likes

Trenchn1
Team Player
Message 8 of 16

The article doesn't seem to relate. under channel it says automatic or some numbers, none of which are 1. 6 or 11

0 Likes

Trenchn1
Team Player
Message 9 of 16

I have the latest talk talk router. What they call the Super router

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi

This Article will show you how to change the wifi channel based on the router model you have :

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Change-your-wireless-channel/ta-p/2204684

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 16

Which router do you have?  Channels 1, 6 and 11 without bonding are generally best, but it is worth checking your local environment with a WiFi analyser if you can. 

0 Likes

Trenchn1
Team Player
Message 12 of 16

It's showing as using channel 10 but I don't know how to change it. All devices are pretty new. 

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi

Have you tried changing the wifi channel ?

Also, the device that is using wifi, is it a relatively newer device, so capable of higher speeds etc ?

You may find some useful pointers to help check the connection in our article :

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Boost-your-Wi-Fi-speed/ta-p/2205291

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Trenchn1
Team Player
Message 14 of 16

Hi,

Yes, the PC is connected by ethernet, tha is getting around 60.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 16

Hi Trenchn1,

Are you able to test on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable so that we can see if it's just a wireless issue?

Chris

0 Likes