FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing speed with Faster Fibre

kennyp
Team Player
Message 7 of 7

My current deal is Faster Fibre and I am being asked to renew my contract and the same package will now be called Fibre 65 with average download speeds of 65Mb/s.

I am currently getting only 15 Mb/s. Will this suddenly increase to 65Mb/s if I renew my contract?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi kennyp,

Yes, as Skynet_TX has said, upgrading to Fibre 65 just removes the 40Mbps cap so you would see no improvement in speed as you're not achieving speeds of 40Mbps now. Apologies for any confusion 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7
Yeah, that is a bit odd, if your line can't handle speeds of over 40mbps then Fibre 65 is pointless and will just be costing you more, Fibre 35 is all you would need.

Message 3 of 7

It is strange. You got me thinking that I was mistaken so I checked my account. I'm currently on Faster Fibre and when I go to my Offers and Upgrades this is what it says:

Renew your Fibre Broadband Average download speeds of 67Mb/s

When your contract ends, you move onto our standard price plan, so you may see an increase in your bill. Renew your contract to fix your price for 24 months and continue to get totally unlimited broadband.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

It's strange that TalkTalk would be suggesting Fibre 65 for you if your line can only support speeds that slow. As it would only really make sense for you to be on Fibre 35.

Probably best to wait for the staff to reply next week, to see if they can clarify things.

Message 5 of 7

Hi Skynet,

Thanks for your reply. I've been on the BT website and the best they can offer is download speeds of 14 to 24Mb/s with a guarantee of !0Mb/s.

The problem seems to be that FTTP is not available in my area and the green box is too far away so it looks like I'm gonna be stuck with snail speeds for the foreseeable future.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @kennyp,

No, your speeds will not increase just because you upgrade. 'Faster Fibre' is now called 'Fibre 35', this can give speeds of up to 40mbps. All upgrading to 'Fibre 65' will do is remove the 40mbps cap from your line, so seeing as you are currently nowhere near hitting that cap, upgrading to Fibre 65 will make no difference to your speed.

Having said that, TalkTalk should only offer Fibre 65 to you if they think your line is capable of speeds well over 40mbps, so this may be an indication there is some other problem that is currently restricting your speed.

Are you doing your speed tests wired or wireless, it is always best to do them wired to get accurate results. Can you log into your router to check your sync speed, this will show you the speed your router is actually connecting to the TalkTalk network.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line that might be limiting your speed. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session' in the street cabinet, this can sometimes help it reconnect at a better speed.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help. They may be able to help explain why your speeds are not as high as expected at the moment.

To get an idea of the speed your line could achieve you could search for your address on this site, the VDSL lines at the top of the results will tell you what speeds BT think your line could achieve, this should also be roughly in the same range as the speeds you could get from TalkTalk, but only after the issue that is currently limiting you to 15mbps is understood and resolved.