FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections

ShaneAFC
Participant
Message 18 of 18

Hello

I've had my TalkTalk Faster Fibre Broadband installed for 2 months and 95% of the time it's perfect, much better than what I'd been hearing about TalkTalk! The only issue I'm having is my internet connection being randomly disconnected. This can happen and then I'll go a week or 2 without it happening again or it could happen again 2 hours later. 

The disconnection literally lasts for about 5 seconds so it's not the router restarting or anything, if it was it'd take a lot longer to come back on. It's just happened again tonight, I looked over the log and at the time of disconnect this is what it says.

26.11.2019 21:57:48	Info	SYS	
TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been closed
26.11.2019 21:57:45	Info	IGMP	
IGMP join received (239.192.0.0)
26.11.2019 21:57:44	Info	DHCPC	
The WAN DHCP client IP address 92.23.XXX.XX
26.11.2019 21:57:42	Info	DHCPC	
The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been launched on Vlan 36
26.11.2019 21:57:40	Info	XDSL	
VDSL connectivity is up port 1
26.11.2019 21:57:37	Info	IGMP	
IGMP join received (239.192.0.0)
26.11.2019 21:57:13	Info	XDSL	
VDSL connectivity is down port 1
26.11.2019 21:57:13	Warning	DHCPC	
The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36

I'm not sure if there's anything I can try my end, maybe this is normal for TalkTalk routers? It never happened with the Super Hub  (albeit that had its own issues!) when I was with Virgin Media. It's not a big problem as the internet comes back on pretty much instantly but if I could prevent it from happening altogether, that'd be nice! 😁

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi ShaneAFC

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hello

The Openreach engineer has just left. A new line was installed. Hopefully that will stop my internet dropping out randomly. 

I'll keep you updated if there are any issues.

Thank you for (hopefully!) resolving the problem. 

Message 3 of 18

Hi

If you bump the thread on Friday, we can follow up with Openreach for you.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 4 of 18

Hi

Thanks for the update. I kept a log yesterday for the times (I noticed) it went down. 8 times in a 6 hour period!

18/02/2020 - 15:04
18/02/2020 - 15:14
18/02/2020 - 15:18
18/02/2020 - 15:23
18/02/2020 - 18:40
18/02/2020 - 18:42
18/02/2020 - 20:57
18/02/2020 - 21:00

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi Shane,

Ok thanks for confirming this. I've re-run the line test again and it has now detected a potential fault so I've passed this over to Openreach now for a line investigation to be completed and we should receive an update back within the next 48-72hrs.

Thanks

Message 6 of 18

Hi 

I was sent a new router when I first brought this issue up however that didn't change anything. I'm unsure if it was a different make or model but it looks the exact same as my original one. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi ShaneAFC,

I'm really sorry to hear this and I'll take a look at this for you now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see some re-connections on the line. Could I just confirm, have you tested with a different make and model of router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

I've tried living with this issue but 2 months later and it seems to be getting worse. I was fine with it happening randomly, once or twice a week but it's every single day now, multiple times. 

Web pages will fail to load, I look over at the router and as usual it's flashing white, 10 seconds later and it's back on. Worse of all if I check the service center, it tells me my connection is fine. Is this TalkTalk's definition of 'fine'? 

I'm starting to regret signing up now, especially being tied into an 18 month contract. Things started off so well but unfortunately, as I was warned, the service is just getting worse. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi ShaneAFC

No problem 🙂

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hello Debbie,

Update went through fine, thanks for that. 

I'll be sure to come back if I continue having issues.

Thanks again to all.

Message 11 of 18

Hi ShaneAFC

Apologies for the delay.

I've updated your router firmware to the latest version. Please let us know how the connection compares following this.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 12 of 18

Hello!

I've swapped the routers around so hopefully no more disconnections. I did go insane for 10 minutes or so when trying to setup DHCP reservation for some of my devices on the new router. The setting isn't there! Turns out the router is on old firmware. Also explains why my configuration file from the old router wouldn't apply to my new router. 

I did look around for the new firmware that adds DHCP reservation but all I could find was TalkTalk employees pushing the firmware to the router so I guess you'll have to do it for me when you can. Unless it updates itself during the night, of course. 😁

Thanks again! 

Message 13 of 18

Hello Karl,

Thanks for doing that, hopefully it'll fix the issue!

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 18

Hi

I've a feeling there could be an underlying line issue, but unable to see one from here.

I've a replacement Hub on the way so i can rule out a hardware issue, see if this also helps.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 15 of 18

Hello Michelle,

I've not noticed what the weather is like whenever I experience disconnections, could this be it? I'll have to wait for the next time it happens and see what the weather is like! As for the landline, we don't use it but, again, when I get disconnected I'll check the line and have a look.

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 18

Hi Shane,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Does it appear to be weather related? Do you experience any issues with the voice service at the same time such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?