FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed

AndreasProkop
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

I am interested in the Super Fibre 65 Bundle Deal which seems to be available in my area and is indicated in my account. I do not understand the average speeds. In the main box it says that I get  67Mb/s download speed and in the box below that I get only 29.4Mb - 32.7Mb which is pretty much my current speed. Please, could you explain? I might otherwise look for other providers.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

AllyM
Philosopher
Message 1 of 4

@AndreasProkop wrote:

In the main box it says that I get  67Mb/s download speed and in the box below that I get only 29.4Mb - 32.7Mb which is pretty much my current speed. 

67Mbps is just meaningless marketing jargon. It is what they claim to be the average speed across all customers on the Fibre65 package. The 29.4-32.7Mbps range given will be TalkTalk's estimate of the actual speed your line can support.

As others have said, if you're getting less than 40Mbps now on (presumably) Fibre35, then Fibre65 will be no faster, so I have no idea why they are even offering you the option.

The only way to for you to get a faster service (with any provider) would be if full fibre to the premises were available to you.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 2 of 4

The actual speed you can get is totally dependent on the length of the phone line between your home and the street cabinet :

Skynet_TX_0-1641494622847.png

I presume you are currently on the Fibre 35 service ?. That service can potentially provide speeds of up to 40mbps. But if your router sync speed is not currently at that maximum of 40mbps then that probably indicates that the speed it is currently connected at is the fastest speed that your line can support. All upgrading from Fibre 35 to Fibre 65 does is remove the 40mbps cap from your connection, but if your router is not currently being held back by that cap then upgrading would make absolutely no difference to your speed.

As @ferguson says, any ISP that delivers their service over Openreach phone lines is going to be limited in the same way, as they would all be sending the signal down your phone line, and it is the length of that line that is the limiting factor.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

The fact that Fibre 65 may be advertised as "available" is irrelevant if your line cannot support it. If the actual speeds you see quoted are similar to what you have now you cannot expect better with any other provider on the Openreach network.